FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedrainy day activities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rainy day activities
    Posted: 28 April 2007 at 8:34pm
Today was awful - rainy and cold and I have a feeling that the nice weather is on the way out. So thoguht we might want to post some ideas for indoor activities - prefereably that require minimal adult supervision, equipment and cleanup!

Anyway, I piled every pillow in the house on the floor and the boys went nuts stacking them, lying on them and had a ball for honestly about an hour with minimal tears and spills! Lewi's nana would be horrified with the feet and bums on pillows but hey, i was horrified having two toddlers running around annoying me - so it balances out.

Then we got two huge boxes I found, de-spidered them and cut them into cars. origainally we were having one and "sharing" but this did not eventuate - so we had two, and the boys LOVED them. They put their soft chairs in there - had some snacks, a bottle, watched tv, had a story.....and I sat and had a coffee....bliss

BTW I am babysitting and will have 5 under 5 next tuesday so will need some activity ideas ASAP!!!!
Sponsored Links

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2007 at 8:44pm
god, you're keen...
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2007 at 8:55pm
Why did you say yes!!!!! lol

We just got given some hand-me-down toys so my girls have been enjoying playing with some new things lately. Last winter I headed down to Plunket so the girls could play in a change of scenery! But other activites I can think of are...
playdough, drawing (pencils, crayons, feltpens), stensils, throwing rings around a stick (can't remember what it's called! ring toss?) or soft balls into 10L buckets or similar containers, making shaking bottles (1.5L fizzy bottle filled with glitter or sparkly confetti and water, taped well around the top, and can be rolled and shaken), icing and/or decorating plain biscuits, making 100's and 1000's bread for a tea party, baking together, puzzles...
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2007 at 8:58pm
It was only drizzling on and off here, but Maya and I baked a microwave choccy cake in my new Tupperware silicone kugelhopft type thingie. Not strictly on my weight watchers, but I did have a *small* piece just to make sure it wasn't poisonous

And Liz - five under five
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 8:51am
Yeah! My gf pays me in meat and tupperware! the kids are great *one is Jake's age, one is taine's age and the oldest is four. they all get along pretty well, and my gf is expecting number 4!!! only the same age as me!!!

what was worse was last time I sat for them, the 2 year old had a broken leg!
Anna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 9:19am
FIVE under five!! WOW! Go Lizzle!!

I must admit that sometimes it is just as easy to look after more kids, I look after my neighbours 2 year old and my other neighbours 9 month old weekly. Works out really well cause the kids all ahve someone to play with! (Although Quinn does this delightful showing-off thing that involves trashing his room!)

Hmmm, rainy day ideas? Can't think of much that hasn't been mentioned but baking works really well here. And boxes ARE fantastic, pull out the crayon to decorate. Huts with blankets keep Quinn entertained for ages! Wooden blocks have been great for his imagination, they can truly be anything you want.

And, it all that fails... telly!
Anna

Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 10:22am
flash cards, if it's not rainining - play in the leaves, lay down a rope or something similar and get the kids to walk along it - person who doesn't fall off wins something, stamps, construction paper, tissue paper, glitter, glue,

Make Mother's day cards!!! Have the Card shape all set up before hand then get kids to decorate

toddler pouch - 2 paper plates, scissors, stapler, hole punch, ribbon or wool. Cut one paper plate in half, staple to other plate to form a pouch. Hole punch holes in the top of the full paper plate. Tie ribbon through then to form a handle. Decorate....

After that maybe play "postie". Kids cn make "letters" to each other...

(Yes I am sad, I have a "Rainy Day Book!!!")

(The Toddlers Busy Book by Trish Kuffner - got it off Amazon.com..
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 10:31am
more ideas!!!!

Tape City....

(Make sure that masking tape or selotape is ok on the carpet first...)
Tape out roads, hospitals, fire station, police station, airport....... you get the picture.. kids can race cars around on the floor vroom vroom!!!!

Chair Maze - under the chairs, over, around three times...make it up as you go along....

Sheet day - tents, all hold a corner and put a teddy in the middle and throw it into the air....

Sponges - Good to throw indoors, sort by colour, count, have shaped ones, throw into containers like ring toss mentioned earlier!!

Mailbox - Shoebox with lid. Cut a slot in the top and kids can mail away. I made letters for Ethan from people in his life (Gran, Grandad, Dad, Mum.....)

Balnket Riding... - works best on smooth floor. Place child on blanket or towel, pull them gently around!!! Weeeeeeeee

Magic Mud - Cornflour, water and food colouring. Mix a little bit of water at a time. Can put this in sealable bags that kids can squish... The cornflour is runny, but when you pick it up it goes hard... Its really cool if you haven't tried it!!!! Maybe a bit messy, do in a garage or carport if you have one!!!
formerly known as "Bee"

Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 10:33am
We also just bought "Candyland" the game. Ethan loves it!!!!

oh, more ideas......Dominoes, Go Fish, Memory Game.....
formerly known as "Bee"

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 11:11am
turn on a video..!!!!
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Bee Bee wrote:

We also just bought "Candyland" the game. Ethan loves it!!!!

We've got this in the cupboard for one of Ella's bday presents. Glad he likes it, I've heard it's great for kids

sparkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 3:20pm
Blowing bubbbles works best after it has rained, something to do with moisture in the air.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 3:36pm
Oh, believe me, the video is on, but My gf's kids aren't interested in tv so much! b strange children! thanks for the ideas! Think we might so some mothers day card things - my kids have entirely too many grandmothers (5!!!) to make things for, so that would kill two birds with one stone so to speak...might try some gingerbread men as well....
Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 7:56pm
Oh gees, we have been bad then.. tv has been on and off for most of the day today, Playhouse disney is great! i heard that tomorrow is going to be worse (weather wise).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 8:20pm
We love playhouse here too. Jake has only started really watching tv inthe last 2 weeks or so, but already really loves the "wee ils" (wiggles) and the doodlebops.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 8:23pm
Maya's really into Reader Rabbit atm, I put the DVD on the computer and it's interactive, so she is actually learning at the same time (except it means I can't use the computer, and she does get mad with MSN boxes popping up all the time )
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 8:32pm
we have playhouse on constantly too. I hate those doodlebop things. we like Jojo and do the dances...well I do and the children laugh at me. Now Taine bobs up and down, but Jake laughs then gets angry and yells "MAMA NO!"
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 8:34pm
Op's all i can say is got the wiggle's.  We do play with puzzles and read book's to.  We are not to jsut sit and watch tne wiggles we have to dance and talk to mummy as well si there is still lot's of interaction I actually really want a some wiggle's cd's so we can have less tv and still lot's of dacing(and yes I dance round the house too its great fun)
Deborah Mum to:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by lizzle lizzle wrote:

we have playhouse on constantly too. I hate those doodlebop things. we like Jojo and do the dances...well I do and the children laugh at me. Now Taine bobs up and down, but Jake laughs then gets angry and yells "MAMA NO!"

I can't get the bloody doodlebops song out of my head. It's been in there all freaking day! They're not too bad, except the song. Rod likes them though!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 8:56pm
I like little einsteins heaps, but Jake's not so keen, keeps yelling at the tv "Wee ils, Wee ils, Wee ils, mama" like yelling will make them magically appear.

I kinda regret introducing the tele now, though, cos I can't watch the news in the morning without someone bringing me the sky remote (yes, he even knows the difference between the remotes) and saying "wee ils"

Edited by fattartsrock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>