FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBassinet necesary?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BellaBoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bassinet necesary?
    Posted: 29 May 2007 at 6:27pm
Hi,
Im just thinking ahead- can a new born go straight into a cot? is it easier to have a bassinet? Pros and cons of each for a new born? Thoughts please! thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 6:44pm
I only used a bassinet as inlaws brought us one. I put Brenna into the cot at 6 weeks and would have done so from day one if we weren't given one.

The pro for bassinet was that I could rock it when needed and it takes up less room.
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 6:48pm
We had an EziRocker Bassinet that hung in the cot. I liked it because we could rock it and also we weren't putting a tiny baby into a massive cot, I'm sure the bassinet helped her feel more snug and secure.

That said a newborn can go straight into a cot, I tend to thing it comes down to personal preference.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 7:12pm
I have a bassinette but I never would have bought one, I was given it. It worked out really well because my first baby was delivered by c/s and I could have it right next to my bed at home. With my third baby I could have the bassinette in the upstairs during the day (the cot is downstairs).

They are definitely not necessary, I don't think it makes much difference to a baby until they are 6+ weeks old and start becoming familiar with their surroundings. A cot can also go into your bedroom if you have room (we don't lol)... and I've never used a bassinette for longer than 6 weeks.
KiwiWonder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiWonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 8:19pm
Once upon a time I thought a bassinet wouldn't be necessary. I figured a cot with bassinet-height feature would be fine. Technically this is true, a bassinet is not an absolute essential.

However, what I like about the bassinet is the size, and the smaller size makes it a lot easier to keep baby in with you while they're still waking for night feeds, particularly if you're breastfeeding but can't / don't want to co-sleep. I personally opted for a hammock instead of a bassinet, as it offers a slight recline for baby which often is comforting for them, plus the gentle rocking motion - however this was after the decision to get a bassinet-type-thing, for the above reasons.
Margo
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 8:48pm
All three of mine went straight into cots, I used safety sleeps to give them a little more of a sense of security. The gremlins in particular looked ridiculous as they were so tiny, but they grow so quickly.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:08pm
yeah bassinette waste of money, Just my personal opinion of course

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Meganb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meganb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:16pm
I agree with bassinette is a waste of money!
Same with a cot.
Ara has slept with us since we brought her home.
She's now almost 14months and has been sleeping in her own bed for about 6 months for the first part of the night untill we go to bed.
I supose bassinette's are from an older generation where babies slept in the room with their parents and they took up less room were easy to move around...to kitchen, living area...even outside.
(I spent the first 3 months of my life sleeping outside.)
During the day for Ara we had her cot right up and she slept in there.

Edited by Meganb
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Meganb Meganb wrote:

Its just safer and more careing that ya little ones are with you.

OUCH!! Sorry but while I totally accept that co-sleeping is a perfectly valid and acceptable practise I think it's a bit harsh to come in here and say that it's more caring.

People who choose not to co-sleep do so for thier own reasons but I'm sure for none of them it's not a case that they don't care.

Quite frankly I'm a bit offended that you would come in here as newbie and in your first post hint that us parents as non co-sleepers don't care as much about our kids as co-sleepers.

Edited by Paws

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Paws Paws wrote:

Its just safer and more careing that ya little ones are with you.

OUCH!! Sorry but while I totally accept that co-sleeping is a perfectly valid and acceptable practise I think it's a bit harsh to come in here and say that it's more caring.

People who choose not to co-sleep do so for thier own reasons but I'm sure for none of them it's not a case that they don't care.

Quite frankly I'm a bit offended that you would come in here as newbie and in your first post hint that us parents as non co-sleepers don't care.

I agree with you 100% Paws, I don't think this was a very nice comment to make in any way, shape or form - totally judgemental, and that is not what this forum is about.

I would have LOVED to co-sleep but I was having mental health issues related to sleeping, and it was better for all of us that our daughter slept in her own room / bassinette - she's only next door to us anyway.
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 10:54pm

Emma Rose slept in a portacot on bassinette height in our room for about the first six months. I liked the height and the fact that she was right next to our bed, so I could hear her if she woke, and reach over to get her quite easily when she wanted to feed. It was especially nice on those cold winter nights!

We never had a bassinette, mostly because we had the portacot with the bassinette height. In hindsight, I still wouldn't have gotten one, because so many of the babies I knew had outgrown them within 6 weeks or so. I think they're lovely and if money was no object, or if someone would have loaned us one, I certainly would have bought one/used the borrowed one (because I love all the accessories that come with babies!) but I wouldn't deem it a necessity.

Meganb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meganb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 12:50pm
Hey Guys I'm really sorry to of hurt anyone's feelings.
I've had a lot of flack myself for being Uncaring and not putting my daughter in her own room or in her own cot.
I supose we've all got to see from both sides.
VERY sorry to of hurt anyone out there
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 12:57pm

Hey Guys I'm really sorry to of hurt anyone's feelings.
I've had a lot of flack myself for being Uncaring and not putting my daughter in her own room or in her own cot.
I supose we've all got to see from both sides.
VERY sorry to of hurt anyone out there

That's ok and I do appreciate the apology.

I don't think you are at all uncaring for not putting her in her own room....you're doing what works for you and that is the important thing!

Nic01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 1:08pm
We had a bassinette & I loved it! I just liked that it meant I could wheel it into whatever room I was in & keep an eye on Matt while he had a snooze. We also didn't have enough room in our bedroom for a cot, but I could get the bassinette in there which I found much easier for tending to him during the night in the winter. I also liked that he seemed a bit more snug in there rather than a little tiny thing in a big cot. He was quite a tall baby but fitted in his bassinette until he was about 6 months old I think. (or maybe it was 3 months - I can't quite remember now!) I certainly don't think it's a necessity as like many people have said bubs is perfectly ok to go into a cot from newborn, but I would definitely use mine again.
Meganb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meganb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 1:09pm
Thank you
Feel a bit sick about it....don't like hurting people.
I've just done so much research in the past 5-6 months and its amazing how many people get bullied into buying big expencive cots or flash bassinettes and if you can do with out one of the pair its...well just less expence and less stress.
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 1:26pm
we borrowed a bassinette for haleigh and she was to big for it so we arent going to bother this time round.
i dont think they are necessary at all, my cot has a bassinette level on it, and id much rather not go through with the whole trying to get him used to the cot after being in a cosy bassinette
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:16pm
We were given a bassinette but my wee fella only lasted a couple of weeks as he was just too long for it.
I am the same if we weren't given 1 then I would have gone straight into the cot.
When we moved Tyrell I short sheeted the cot and he sleep with his feet just about to the bottom.
Bel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 4:03pm
I have the bassinet that I slept in as a baby, and my mother has kept all this time, so will use it for as long we can.

I would plan to be able to keep bassinet in our room for ease sake and then move bubs to cot and own room...
Mum to two beautiful kids   
Luke (09.11.2007)
Amy (01.04.2009)
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 10:02pm
we bought a basinette - about $150 and it has been great. She sleeps in it beside the bed and is nearly too long for it now but she sleeps in it and i reachover to get her out to BF and she is sleeping 8- 12 hours a night so def has worked for us.

She slept in portacot for first time on weekend and we slept her width ways - might post why on another thread...she did fine in that too...altho we couldnt adjust it to a high point and reaching in and out woke her and killed my back!!!

Would def go basinette if you can budget for it and intend bubs to sleep in room...Im dreading the cot in nursery - more that i dont want to get out of bed in winter than anything else!!!
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 8:28am
we jsut have the cot in our room, it squishy, but we had haleigh in our room for 11months and James will be the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>