FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThings we should have been told!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Charlis_Mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlis_Mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 11:17am
I didn't realise how much water you can retain. I was quite puffy in my feet and I thought that was the only area, it wasn't until I got up for my first shower that I actually had to do a double take at myself in the mirror as I hardly reconised myself my face was so puffy!!

Also, kiwifruit is a good way to get the bowels moving, I was scared to push when on the toilet and my midwife told me I just need to get on with it and I wasn't going to split apart. Eat 6 kiwifruit and you are good to go!!
Sponsored Links

thomasina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomasina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 2:50pm
I loved reading all these posts! It brought back many memories.
pomikiwi - lol! your comments made me laugh. I remember walking to theatre while my waters were breaking& I had to keep stopping for contractions, but the worst thing was wearing those awful hospital gowns!!! they have to be the most uncomfortable thing ever to wear! why do they do up at the back!

ooohhh the first poo....! and it wasnt until I was at home that someone bothered to tell me that the codiene can make you a bit constipated- so this made going to the loo even worse. I also felt quite queasy days after my c-section

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 4:57pm
This is a great topic, brings back memories.   
I have to admit that I lied to the nurses and told them I'd farted cause I was so starving, mmm hospital food.
When you are finally allowed out of bed the first few days be aware of your body and don't push it, definately get up and about, but take rests, I almost dropped my baby because I had to sit down so fast, I yelled at the doctor to grab him quickly.

Lactulose worked REALLY well

Driving home was painful and yes stairs when you finally get home are the worst, took me 10 mins to get up them, kept having to really concentrate on using my legs, you don't realise how important your ab muscles are until they are out of service.

And my MW told me to take Pamol and Brufen regularly when I was at home fo rthe first week or so, even if you don't feel you need it. When I didn't take it, it definately hurts and slows ya down.
And the other great advice my MW told my husband was for me to feed, eat and sleep and do nothing else, I think that helped my recovery heaps.
Oh and having a good height change table helped heaps.

And my mother came evryday and cooked dinner and cleaned the house, lifesaver.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 10:34am
Mt MW also told my DF that he was to make sure that I didnt move from the couch unless I needed to go toilet or shower lol, I was to just eat feed and sleep! for 2 weeks!
I didnt listen....and I should have. I tried to clean and stuff and ended up sore as heck!

So, LISTEN to your MW lol. Mine growled me!

Pamol and a heat sack were my best friends, the heat sack helped loosen up my muscles a bit and made getting up and walking/hobbling easier.

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 11:10am
I second the heat pack! At the hospital I was in you weren't allowed to use the food microwaves to heat them up though, you had to use a special microwave that was hidden away in the sluice room, it was a bit scary going in there, all sorts of medical paraphernalia and a big poster on the wall saying how to estimate quantities of blood loss, complete with pics!

Also, if you have an emergency c-section, just because you haven't pushed your baby out doesn't mean you won't have some of the same after pains as if you had a VB. Labour is still pretty rough on the body even without the last two stages.

TMI warning: I have to say, unfortunately lactulose doesn't always work. I got given several doses of the horrible stuff and they didn't seem to make any difference. In the end - a week later! - lots of grapes and a massive quantity of water did the trick. And if you get bunged up like that, don't think that once you've finally passed your big chunk of clay-like poo the floodgates will open , it's a gradual process to get rid of all the concentrated waste.

In hindsight, I was lucky - I felt very sorry for myself at the time but I was separated from JJ for 5 days at the beginning because he was in SCBU, then I developed a wound infection and we were there for another week and a half. But it meant someone else was doing all the basic baby care when I still couldn't walk etc, and I was basically fully mobile again by the time we got home. So count your blessings I guess.

Oh, and I think everyone should keep a record of things they want for their labour next time if they want to try for a VBAC - I think part of my problem was that I hadn't fully prepared myself (I remember thinking once we got to the hospital "I'm not sure I've thought through this!") and I'll have far more specific instructions for my DH for next time. Plus I was too independent and didn't want any other support people there, next time I'll enlist a whole team

ETA: I recently realised that I basically have amnesia for the first 48 or so hours after the birth, don't know if it was the pain meds or some kind of response to trauma, but I don't remember much at all! I must have been so out of it!

Edited by weegee

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 2:21pm
Completely agree about the amnesia, I'm not entirely sure what happened the first 2 days after the birth either, I know I was on bed rest for the first day, and there were visitors but I was so shattered I'm sure I kept drifting in and out.
J also got taken to SCBU which was a lifesaver cause they would take him and bring him back for a feed so I got to sleep, also they gave him a bottle of formula one night so i could have a long sleep. The first night they bought him in and the nurse helped hold him to my breast and I fell asleep! When i woke up I apologised and she said "no worry he's been fed" She had just held the baby to my breasts while I was asleep!

I got given 2 doses of lactulose and boy at 3am did it open the floodgates.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2009 at 7:19pm

This is a great thread.  I was totally unprepared for my CS.  It was the last thing I wanted.  When they told me they needed to consent me for a c-section I burst into tears (amongst the contractions....end of transition I think).  But once bubs was out I was totally ok with it!  Before that I was shaking uncontrollably and sh*t SCARED!!!

Now I am home and overdoing it!   Eat, feed and sleep sounds great but my mum is here to help and she thinks I am lazy if I dont do much.  After all, I only had a baby...suck it up!  GREAT!   Its also hard with a toddler.  But after reading all this its good to know things are normal

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2009 at 8:44pm
Especially cause you were home so quickly!!!
Stuff your Mum, do the bare minimum, your body will thank you for it, otherwise you'll be back in hospital as soon as. You did have major surgery!!!!
Good luck with your new baby and don't be afraid to ask for help.
LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2009 at 9:13pm

Congrats on baby peppercorn, and welcome James.

I had the shakes with my cs for about 3 hours, but a lot of that was because Leah was taken to special care and I didn't know what was going on. Once I got down to the ward and was finally allowed to see her and hold her the shakes went away pretty quickly.

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2009 at 9:27pm
I didn't even see the name great name!!
I had the shakes terribly due to the epidural, they also went away when I held the baby, awful feeling.
Charly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 11:58pm

One of the worst parts for me (emergency C-section after 4 days in Labour!) was the spray that the anesthetist used on me to see if I was numb enough for them to start the operation!

He kept saying "if it feels cold, then you're not numb enough", which in my delusional over-tired state was making me think "OMG, they're going to cut me open and I'll feel it!"    This was so incredibly frightening at the time.        

Leelee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2009 at 12:50pm
Fluid retention is what I'm having issues with, my feet and ankles are so swollen and all my mw says it will take time to go down you just need to pee it out, if only it was that easy.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2009 at 12:54pm
Yeah I had that too Leelee, I didn't get any swelling when pregnant but have had it postnatally both times, once from the spinal for the c/s and then this time to cos I had an epi. Keep your legs raised as much as poss as that is suppose to help, but yeah takes time I'm afraid

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2009 at 12:55pm
LeeLee, you will wake up one morning and look down and see ankles again....your day will feel so much better!
megabux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megabux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 12:17pm
regarding getting out of bed.... you just roll out lol.
kaaza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2009 at 10:35am
....also, sometimes an Epidural does not work effectively (as I experienced), which means you will need a general anaesthetic. Your partner will then be asked to do the skin to skin and no support people allowed into operating theater with you .....
Spirals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 9:29am
Not sure who said it now - but I second the point about keeping your pain relief up.

I didn't the day after - I wasn't feeling too bad (still dosed up with morphine I guess!) and the nurses didn't insist that I take it either. Boy - did I suffer later on that day. My obs wasn't happy either - he said the nurses should have known better.

Apart from that though, the hospital staff were wonderful. They couldn't do enough for us. We were very lucky.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 6:46pm
I got a body stocking/ tummy wrap (not sure what it is called) from the physio in the hospital, it held everything in tight and I could walk standing straight, & I also had a pain pack that I had to take everywhere (shower, walkies) & I could dial how relief much I needed without over doing it.

charlncassy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlncassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 9:55am
I wanted to add that - if the morphine does nothing for you - you are no going crazy! So don't be afraid to say so!

Morphine had no effect on me - it did not work - so they put me on oxynorm - which worked a treat!

I had a spinal block and the catheter was put in after - though i was not asked about either but so glad it happened this this way.

Have to have another C-Sec next time due to pre-eclampcia last time.

Want to ask what you mums think is 3 c-secs to many??

My DP is dead set on 3 kids - i am just not so sure...
pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 7:39pm
^^ I got told if I wanted another baby then I should go straight for a c -section. But buggar that I'm over it, no more kids for me.

Victoria Beckham had 2 sections

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>