FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHeat Pumps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2007 at 8:59am
I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you, we use this company at work to do our install's in rental property's etc. One of our electricians and our office manager have had one installed in their house and swear by them.

Our landlord is considering putting one in here, which would be fantastic, since it's such an old place.

Fonko
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Sponsored Links

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2007 at 9:41am
We only have a gas heater in the living room, for heat. We got DVS installed, this is our first winter with it. Overall heat in the rest of the house is around 14 degrees.

My dad has a heat pump, as he has no other form of heating and it is great, keeps house warm in winter, and has air con for summer. I think its a fujitsu.

They are popular with new homes, that are being built without fire places.
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 12:55pm
Personally, I don't have one, but would love one

If the unit is outside, you've got to be careful that its not creating noise for your neighbour, apparently the number of noise complaints are up because of heat pumps.
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 2:46pm
Does anyone have one? If so, which one do you have?
My parents have one, and they are fab! Sorry don't know the brand, but the noise isn't that bad (I mean fires are quite noisy really). It was so nice in winter to wake up and have the heat pump going already.

Are they really cost efficient?
Yeah they are, my dad has it on 24/7 because it helps his aches and pains and there's no work involved. Don't know the running price as they've got a spa too that pushed their power bill up at the same time as getting the heat pump.

Is there anything that you don't like about them?
The only thing that bugs me is it's really dry heat. But if you've worked in air con etc, you'd be used to it.

They really are great, if we didn't have a nearly new log burner in our house we'd get one. If it goes below zero degrees (which it does quite often in Chch in winter), it pumps air through the tubes to keep them from freezing etc. And the air con in the summer is soo good!

Beware that unless you want to put it against an outside wall however, you will have to get the system put underneath or through walls which can cost more money for installation. New houses have all of the system put into the foundations etc so they get it going through the whole house.

The outside unit can be a bit noisy, but most people would prefer a bit of a hum compared to the smoke from a fire maybe? I know I would.
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 3:57pm
i've done alot of research on heatpumps lately and got alot of quotes for different brands. our only heating is a gas heater in the lounge which is really bad for jack and my asthma, so we are getting a heatpump one day when we can afford it. we are thinking of going to retravision as they have pay day later and fujitsu on special

our recommended brands were fujitsu, mitsibishi and panasonic. apparently fujitsu are the most economical and quiet etc with mitsibishi close behind.

we'd love to get a log burner but as we are in chch it would cost almost twice as much as a heatpump because we need permits etc so heatpump is our only choice.

my grandparents have a toshiba one installed through the ecan clean heat thingee and i go over there quite abit to hang out because its so nice and toasty warm! its also really quiet too

good luck with what you decide, i definately say go for it!   

Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 4:43pm
Were going to get a heat pump through the Christchurch clean heat project thing. My friends just got one put in and it is great and we need the air con in the summer cos our house gets really hot.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 8:55am
Now I want one!

We've got an old wooden floored bungalow that is FREEEEEEEEZING winter and summer

I'm not sure where in the house we would put it as our lounge is fairy small and only has internal walls (has hallway, dining room, office and sunporch off of it) so I think perhaps we'd put it in the dining room and install one of those heat transfer systems too.

What's the average price of a unit and installation?
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Two Blondinis Two Blondinis wrote:

We've got an old wooden floored bungalow that is FREEEEEEEEZING winter and summer

We too have wooden floors and high ceiling - the heatpump is a godsent! Can't help with prices etc as my dad installed our one for us for free after Gina was born as he didn't want the baby to 'suffer' - guess he was OK with me & DH 'suffering' for the last 2 years!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 10:29am
don't suppose he'd wouldn't want Caitlin to suffer either LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 11:34am
nice try toni

you don't have to put heatpumps on an external wall, they can run the wires etc through your roof and out to where you want it. we thought of getting a heat transfer kit but were told not to bother. i asked a couple of heatpump people if they would work but they said heatpumps wouldn't produce the intense heat needed to transfer it to other rooms

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 1:41pm
oh bugger (re the transfer kit)
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2007 at 1:23pm
You can put a heatpump anywhere, but it costs more to put it in internal walls in an existing house. That's why most people have the unit and outside bit on opposite sides of an outside wall IYKWIM.

Re: logburners in Chch, yep it is more expensive. The old owners of our house put one in 4 years ago and it was $2200 + consent. But it heats really well.
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2007 at 9:28am
We just bought a house with a heat pump in it and it is FABULOUS!!!! So nice and warm and just the one (rather big mitsubishi) in the hall getsa the whole house nice and warm.

I know lots of places are installing them becuase of the clean air thing. I think nelson was this winter that was the last for fireplaces? You aren't allowed to install them there anymore or something...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 12:18pm
just bumping this as we are now seriously considering getting a heat pump (yes that's right AFTER winter DH decides it might be a good idea, nice one DH! *rolls eyes*)

What are the average costs of installation? I think we might have to have ours done on an internal wall (hallway) as our only external wall is the dining room and we're never in there!

We have a large-ish old bungalow, high celings and wooden floors, lots of rooms you know the kind. Does anyone have a similar style house and still have a heat pump? What do you think of it? Any good for heating the whole house?
sparkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 1:08pm
We have a 50's bungelo, wooden floors, no insulation etc. We have a small house, it's 3 bedroom, but the living areas are all open plan.

We have a Diakon (sp?) in the lounge at one end of the house. It heats the lounge, kitchen, dining room and 2 bedrooms quite nicely. If we have it set at 22 in the lounge the bedrooms are normally around 18/19 so not too bad. It doesn't quite get the heat down to our bedroom at the other end of the house, but then we didn't see the point in getting the larger system ($800 more) as our garage comes off our master room (random I know!) and it's not lined so the heat would just disappear anyway. And we figured, we just put another blanket on the bed when we're cold anyway!

We paid $3000 all up and I couldn't be happier. We have it set at 19 during the day and 22 at night and I love it! When I get up for Coopers night feeds I just wonder down the lounge and it's nice and warm and toasty!

They are apparantly the most cost effective way to heat your home, so it should be fun to get the power bill. We were using a gas heater, probably filling up twice a month, so that was $40 and because we had that we ran the dehumidifier 24/7 so that would have been a good $20 on the power bill too. So if my bill is under $60 up I'll be happy! We also don't use the dryer as much as I just put the washing on a clothes horse in front of the heat pump and it's dry within the day.

You can also use it for air con during summer (however, I just open a window!!!) and it has a drying setting too, much like a dehumidifier.

Edited by sparkle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 1:41pm
Thanks (btw congrats and welcome to Cooper )

Do you know who installed it?
MelandBri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelandBri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 3:31pm
We had a Daikin installed at the start of winter. Its been the best thing we have ever purchased.   I love the Daikin, i spoke to a few people before we got it that had tried a couple different brands and they recommended the daikin.
Over the colder months we left our on 16 degrees night and day, it was enough to heat our 3 bedroom home and we have a heat trasfer kit from the lounge room (where the Daikin is) going up the hall way near the bedrooms, and it transfers a lot of heat.
Now that its getting warmer we can turn it off in the day and turn on at night or in the morning.
Our house is so warm all the time I love it.
We got ours installed by CH Faul and they done a really good job. Not sure if they are just Southland based or not. It cost $3600 all up installed and its a low wall one, which are supposedly better than the high wall, but then everyone has different opinions on them

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 5:05pm
definately get one toni!!!! i love ours! we have a toshiba 8kw the biggest one they had we had no choice on brands because ours was subsidised through a community group. i think the most recommended ones are daikin, fujitsu, panasonic and mitzibishi.
i'd ring a few heatpump places and get them to come and have a look at your place and go from there with pricing etc

sparkle, you did well going through 2 bottles of gas a month...ours weren't lasting a week!!

good luck, you won't regret it!

sparkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 5:23pm
Ours was fitted thru Climate Control. They're based on the Shore, but because I said we were recommended by a friend they came out West for us!

I found them great to deal with. A week after it was installed the main guy I dealt with rang to make sure we knew how to use it effectively etc and didn't send out the bill until we had spoken which I thought was great.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 7:48pm
*bump for queenbean*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>