FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIVF - Let me tell you...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Evolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IVF - Let me tell you...
    Posted: 16 July 2007 at 4:53pm
Hi everyone. Well, it looks as if there is no one on this forum at the moment that is currently going through an IVF cycle.

But this is such a warm and welcoming place that I feel I should still contribute - and therefore I would like to share my experience with you guys. Who knows, there may be some amongst you that are considering IVF and would be interested in a "running report".

After three years of TTC (one failed IUI) we finally decided to give IVF a go. I didn't like all the drugs etc. with the IUI and when we did that I thought there is no way that I will every do IVF.

But here I am. I figured that if I don't try this now (I am 40 now) there won't be another chance and I will regret it one day. We were lucky enough to get public funding (also a big decision factor for IVF Yes or No) and after a six months waiting period, I'm ON.

They decided that the "microdose flare" method was best for me which meant going on the contraceptive pill (ironic really!) for three weeks before starting injections. This was to "downregulate" my system.

Last Wednesday I started the injections.

I used to be SO paranoid about needles, but since I've been blood-tested - I don't know how many times - I can actually watch the nurse put the needle in my arm without feeling queezy. And I guarantee to all those who think that the injections will be the worst horror: it's not. The needles are tiny and before you know it it's over.

When we did the IUI my husband gave me the injections but Murphy's Law wanted it that he was away last week and so I had to do it myself - wasn't so sure about that.

But anyway, I managed in the end.

So I started Buserelin on Wednesday (small siringes, tiny needle) and then Puregon on Friday (Purgeon pen). The Puregon pen is a rather chunky injection device that is supposed to make your life easier, but it ain't as far as I am concerned... Had problems with pushing the button down to administer my first dose, nearly broke out in a panic (since it was Friday night, me alone at home and the damn thing wasn't working), but I managed somehow and went to the Fertility Associates Clinic (FA) the next day to get the pen replaced. Of course, it worked fine when the nurse tried it...

Anyway, so far so good. Had a blood test this morning and a phone call from FA this afternoon with instructions to increase my dose of Puregon (from 225 units to 300 units) for the next three days. Then another blood test.

Phew! Sorry about going on forever, I am hoping some of you might find this interesting...

How am I feeling? Good so far. I haven't read up much on side-effects because I am the kind of person that gets every side-effect there is once I know about them...

This afternoon a slight bloating feeling kicked in but could be anything really. We'll see. Basically, I need to produce as many eggs as possible in the next week so there's bound to be some effects... Will keep you all posted.

Thanks for being there with me!
Sponsored Links

Leelee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 5:11pm
I hope it all works out for you
noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 5:12pm
wow thanks for all the info evolsen, its always intresting to hear about different treatments, I know a couple of the ladies on here are waiting for IVF so they will find your journey really intresting too. Thanks for sharing it with us!

I am currently waiting to see what my next step in fertility treatment is as i have done 5 rounds of high dosage clomid all with no ovulation and am thinking (self diagnosis here) injectables may be the next step so i'm glad the needles aren't that bad (not sure whether the same sort of needles are used or not)but i'll find out at my appointment next week! oops sorry didnt mean to turn it into a thread about me just wanted to say about you easing my mind about the needles.

You sound like you are doing well, I hope your side effects dont get too bad (i like your theory tho, not knowing about them) and i'll keep my fingers crossed for lots of eggs for you!

Evolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 5:20pm
Thanks LeeLee!

And I am glad I could put your mind at ease about the needles, noodle.

I was on Clomiphen for nine months(!) as well and though I was ovulating, there was no other success...

Before that I tried accupuncture and chinese herbs - also to no avail...

So this is my last go, really - if that doesn't work it's plan B - big house in the country and a paddock full of horses
noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 5:33pm
I really hope plan A works for you!

Just a question what mg of clomid were you on and what were the side effects like in comparison to the injectible drugs?

Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 5:40pm
Evolsen another really good site for those going through IVF is the bulletin board on www.everybody.co.nz

There is always heaps of ladies going through IVF cycles at any given time on that board. They are a really knowledgeable and helpful bunch, so it may be worth checking out.

Good luck!
Lou
Evolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 5:54pm
Thanks Lulu! Will definitely check that site out

My dose of Chlomiphene, noodle, was 50mg for the entire time. I don't know if that's particularly high or low.

I had virtually no side effects except hot flushes at night (but it was also summer). So I guess, I was pretty lucky there. What is your dose and what are your side-effects? Hope, it's not tormenting you too much!

The thing about doing IVF is that you know you will only take the drugs are over in two/three weeks so I think I'll be able to cope with the side effects - she says not even a week into the treatment
noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:15pm
The last round i did a couple of weeks ago was 150mg and got heaps of side effects, i felt horrible but it only lasted for about a week, so that was ok.

It is alot eaiser to handle when you know there is an end in sight! and you sound very positive and i reckon positive thinking always helps

Evolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:26pm
Gee. That means that my dose was probably quite low...
I'm not surprised that you were feeling horrible. I had heard horrible things about Chlomid...

As for my positive attitude - hm, sometimes I don't know if it's just a matter of being too busy to get my head around it. I know I should slow down (work-wise mainly) but it seems really hard (self-employed - just accepted another job). Will have to slow down next week though...
noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Evolsen Evolsen wrote:

As for my positive attitude - hm, sometimes I don't know if it's just a matter of being too busy to get my head around it.

hehehe I so know that feeling! Life gets ridiculously
busy sometimes!!

so what happens next week treatment wise for you?

Evolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:42pm
Good to know, I'm not the only one that probably gets "the look" from DH when he gets home and I still sit on front of the computer...

Treatment-wise - blood test on Thursday morning.

I am on two injections at the moment:
1. Buserelin - which is supposed to supress the body's production of hormones (part of the down-regulating process)
2. Puregon - the FSH (Follicle Stimulation Hormone)

The blood test on Thursday is to check my response to the FSH. Fingers crossed, there are some nice and healthy eggs on the way - and lots of them!

Next thing will be a scan to see how many eggs are there, probably early next week - that will be the next exciting bit!
noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:46pm
yay how exciting! I hope you are responding beautifully to the drugs!!!

Evolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:49pm
Thank you
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 9:14am
Evolsen I was on buserelin and gonal-f and I didn't get any side affects at all except a couple of hot flushes, it's so different for everyone, but it is possible to have a pretty easy run so here's hoping that's what happens for you. I am also self employed so I was busy busy during the cycle and I'm sure that mentally that was my saving grace, so I reckon if you are feeling up to it, then keep busy. I just had a day and a half off during egg collection, but that was it. The two week wait after egg collection and embryo transfer is definately the hardest time, but once again, just try to keep busy and have lots of nice things outside of work planned to keep your mind off it.
Lou
Evolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 9:23am
Hi Lulu. Phew! I thought side-effects were a MUST!

Thanks so much for that. That makes me feel so much better....my psyche works the other way as well, you see - somebody says there were no side effects - I don't have any, either . Fingers crossed.

I've been keeping feeling the stress creeping up on me of "must slow down" when really, I just can't at this stage. And that kind of stress surely wouldn't help, either. So I'll take your advice on board and keep busy - but with lots of nice things to look forward to, too
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 10:14am
All the best for successful IVF Evolson! My fingers are crossed for you
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Evolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 10:50am
Thank you caraMel
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 11:46am
Hi Evolsen It's really good to hear about your journey - I've just received my acceptance letter, and am waiting on an approximate cycle date. We were a no-brainer for publicly funded treatment, which is great But we've had no other fertility treatment whatsoever. Straight into ICSI. Is that what you're doing, or are you doing a conventional IVF cycle?

Ooo! And I see you're in after 6 months - where abouts are you based?

I really wish I lived in Tauranga (just for IVF though!) - they have NO waiting list apparently! How nice would that be?
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
Evolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 12:05pm
Hi ginger,

Yay, for your acceptance letter!

I am based in Wellington and - err, I have to correct myself, it was probably more nince months on the waiting list - sorry about that.

But if you look at it that way - whatever the waiting period is, it will give you some time to get fit and healthy (not that this intention always becomes a reality, urm!)

As for the treatment, I have to honestly say, I don't know whether it's going to be ICSI or conventional IVF.

I always kind of assumed it will be ICSI - but that could be because the presentation of the procedure that we saw at the IVF group meeting was so fascinating that it stuck to my mind... Will check up on that...
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 1:25pm
We're anticipating about a year on the waiting list, but that's not too tragic for us as we're only and 30 respectively.

There are a few little things I'm doing - I've bought a mooncup, and am going to try reusable pads (I won't use tampons at night because of the increased TSS risk) and cut down on any chemicals around that area Maybe it'll help, maybe not, but you know ... you'll try just about anything! Plus we're going to see a Chinese herbalist in case that may help.

I'm otherwise pretty healthy, but it certainly doesn't hurt to keep yourself that way!!

Hopefully this cycle will be the end of things for you, and you'll have a positive result in a few weeks!
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>