FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked3 minute silence against child abuse Wed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 minute silence against child abuse Wed
    Posted: 06 August 2007 at 12:07pm
People are being asked to stop what they are doing and stay silent for three minutes on Wednesday in a nationwide stand against child abuse.

Pressure groups said the three minutes represented each of the three years of the latest fatally abused victim's life.

Nia Glassie died in Auckland's Starship Hospital on Friday from head and abdominal injuries.

She had been in a coma and on a life support system since she was transferred from Rotorua Hospital the Sunday before.

Today the Sensible Sentencing Trust, Family First, and For the Sake of Our Children Trust, asked people to stop what they were doing at 12.12pm on Wednesday for three minutes.

They said people should "come out on to the street, outside the office or classroom, stop their car or truck and stand outside their vehicle – and make a symbolic stand against child abuse for three minutes at 12:12pm."

The number 12 was significant because it represented the average number of child abuse deaths each year.

"The three short minutes is an opportunity for each person to reflect on what each one of us can do to be part of the solution to our unacceptable rate of child abuse."

They also asked all radio stations to play the Destiny Child song, Stand Up For Love, during the three minutes. The song was the Anthem for the World Children's Day in 2005.

The three trusts said each week another New Zealand child's "precious life is extinguished or damaged because violent parents or caregivers will not meet or can not cope with their responsibilities.

"We are sick and tired of doing nothing while our babies and children are being beaten and murdered.

"We have allowed violent adults the right to silence, bail and parole, while babies' rights go undefended."

They said political correctness had got in the way of speaking the truth and even after numerous inquiries and a government commissions appointed to oversee and intervene, New Zealand still had one of the worst rates of child abuse in the world.

The trusts launched a five-point action plan:

# The setting up of a non-political commission of inquiry consisting of community leaders already working with at-risk families to identify effective and achievable solutions to child abuse

# An immediate increase in support for grass-root community organisations working with at-risk families

# Increased investment in parenting and marriage programmes;

# A media-based anti-child abuse campaign

# Tougher sentences for those who abuse or kill children.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
Sponsored Links

ooEvaoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooEvaoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 1:36pm
I will definitely be doing my bit on Wednesday. Thanks for the heads up. This is one step toward protecting our babies.

Mummy2three View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mummy2three Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 9:11pm
I will be doing it too. Thanks for letting us know
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 10:12pm
Me and Alize will be doing it too. I just had to set reminder in my phone incase we are out and about.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
missy_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missy_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 11:50am
Zoe and I will be doing this too. I'll probably cry for the whole 3mins.
Michelle

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 5:22pm
i did cry for the 3mins while giving jack and charli the biggest cuddles i ever have. jack kept asking me 'what's wrong mummy'
i was listening to morefm and they played the dj sammy song 'heaven' with the little girl talking in it....so sad

even the man outside doing groundwork for our garage stopped work and did nothing for 3mins.

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 9:43am
I completely forgot about this....i should have set the alarm or something. It was awesome to see the support out there though!

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 7:30pm
Um, did anyone think that this was sending the wrong sort of message? The best thing anyone can do about violence and abuse is speak up, these people were outwardly asking people to be silent. Kind of contradicting the cause isn't it? I feel very bad for that poor little girl, but talking about the issue would do much more for awareness than being silent.
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 9:18pm
i agree Emz....i feet silence was the wrong stance on this issue!!! glad someone else felt the same!

what would have been better would be HUG YOUR CHILD CLOSE TO YOU for a minute...or tell a child they ARE LOVED.....or something like it.....silence is not on...we dont advocate that for domestic violence so why child abuse....talk about an ill thought through idea....
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 10:04pm
I can understand what you guys mean but I think the idea was the show of everyone stopping what they were doing and coming out onto the streets for the 3 mins silence. Imagine if EVERYONE had done that...it would have been pretty powerful.

JMTCW.

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2007 at 8:50am
i agree paws. silence is very moving and emotional.

i think people need to toughen up and not be afraid to speak out against people that are abusing their children. what are they afraid of? i just can't get my head around the idea that people out there know it's happening to some defenseless (sp?) child and not to a damm thing about it!!

just my 2c...

Post Reply Post Reply