FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPainting/Staining Baby Furniture - help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting/Staining Baby Furniture - help!
    Posted: 11 August 2007 at 1:51pm
Ok, I managed to get a really cheap deal on a secondhand cot off trademe (which is awesome since they are so expensive to buy!!), but it is really faded at the cot ends. I was thinking I could sand and paint or even just re-stain the wood, as a little DIY project.

My question is - do you have to use special paints or stains on baby furniture, since kids tend to chew on things a lot?

I would really appreciate any help, if anyone knows anything about this kind of thing!
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
Sponsored Links

Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 3:23pm
We bought a secondhand cot on TM and DH repainted it. We sanded it down by hand (which SUCKED as the rails are all carved and not straight!) and went to Resene to get paint for it. We primed it with an undercoat, then used two coats of paint and a finishing coat of clear stuff. I'd recommend doing what we did -- ask the people at Resene what paint to buy, and they will steer you toward the most appropriate stuff. Happy painting!
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 3:38pm
if you are sanding it a mouse sander would help for smaller spots....

would think most paint would be lead free but would pay to ask.
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 10:59am
We were painting Sams drawers and Bunnings were really helpful. There are two products on the market of paint recommended for babies furniture and rooms in general.
We got the brand White Knight. It is lead free and also has something called Microban antibacterial protection? Recommended for childrens/babies rooms. It was a good price too :)

LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 5:01pm

Thanks guys! I will talk to the people at the paint shop and see what they say.

My MIL has lent us a mouse-sander, so that's really useful! And my mum does folkart painting, I might ask her to paint something cute on it 

Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
 Post Reply Post Reply