FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOlder mums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Alanismum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanismum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Older mums
    Posted: 10 March 2009 at 11:44am
Hi there,
I was 37 when I had my daughter. She's 16 months now. Up to now we weren't really trying for a second one, but it happened and I got pg.
Unfortunately mc at 7 weeks. I'm very sad now and although I want another child very much, I am worried about my age (will be 40 soon) and more mc.
Any older women out there who are ttc maybe also after a mc? Would love to hear from you.

Sponsored Links

Chickaboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 6:41pm
well i am 36 and trying for #4 (next month) and worry about my age even though I have had ok pregnancies with the last 3. I guess we all worry - but you have the added worry of MC (I have not had one)

Not much help though am I

choco69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choco69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 7:01pm
i'm 39 (40 in August) and TTC #1 ... my sister had her 3rd when she was 40 and it was her easiest pregnancy/birth ... so guess it just the luck of the draw

good luck
Bunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 9:54pm
Hi Alanismum,

I am definitely one of the older mums (38) and yes I have had a mc in Nov last year, I thought I was 12 weeks pg but the baby had died at 8 weeks, it was heartbreaking.

We are TTC again and it is taking a bit longer this time - I am pretty scared about being pg again and it happening again but I know that is the risk that we have to take if we want to have a baby.

I have two older children, my son is 20 and my daughter is 17, my partner hasn't had any children which is why we are trying, he would love to be a dad and it will be awesome to have a baby with him.

Good Luck with TTC and chatting on here is definitely a huge support I really love coming on here to see how everyone is doing and ask questions etc - it's really great

Are you charting? I am and it is amazing how much I have learnt about my cycles, check out the charting thread if you haven't already [:)

PM me if you ever want to have a chat

Cheers, Jo
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 12:55pm
Im 36 (turning 37) and Im on number two! .. although Im one of the lucky creatures where my DH just looks at me and Im up the duff

I havent noticed any difference between my pregnancies and my younger friends .. so if I was you I would just "go for it"
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Alanismum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanismum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 8:54am
Thanks for the positive feedback. I know what you're saying lilfatty, my first pregnancy was great, no worries at all and I also felt, like I'm doing better than most of the younger mums I know. But the MC has given me a huge fright and makes me very worried.
Jo, I feel we're in the same boat. I don't even know what my cycle is doing at the moment, so haven't thought about charting yet. Maybe once my period is coming back.

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 2:23pm
My sister was 37 and had no kids when she decided to start her family she had 3 MC before she was blessed with healthy twin boys! The boys are now 2yrs and shes had no problems. I guess that's one thing to consider though after 35 theres a high chance (i don't wanna say risk lol) of frat twins because your body is pumping out more eggs I had 2 MC before I had my twins and I'm only 23. I'm smoke free and am very healthy and active so no reason for 2 MC so I think it's more luck of the draw so don't be hard on yourself.

Best of luck chic

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
catie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 2:40pm
I think you guys are all spring chickens! I am ancient and TTC #1! It's a long story as to how I got to be in this situation - married young but divorced, didn't meet DH until I was mid-30s, he'd has a vas, I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to get it reversed, but it was...We have been TTC for literally years, but this is largely due to DH still having really low sperm count and motility. I ovulate regularly, my hormone levels are fine etc . We have decided to have fertility treatment though (IUI) cos we are running out of time. But on the positive side, both my grandmothers had children when they were in their 40s, and I was an 'accident' conceived when Mum was 39 and Dad was 49 and using contraception! So I reckon there's hope. I also take lots of vitamins and herbal supplements and live a really healthy lifestyle, so i reckon my eggs should be in pretty good shape for my age. I've also read some intresting stuff about Down syndrome if any-one's interested - but that's enough of my novel for now!   

Good luck, everyone!
Chickaboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 8:42pm
catie do share your story bout the downs... and we all have a tendancy to ramble LOL...

Chickaboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by lisa85 lisa85 wrote:

. I guess that's one thing to consider though after 35 theres a high chance (i don't wanna say risk lol) of frat twins because your body is pumping out more eggs

argh don't say that I keep hearing that and Sh#t scared I might end up having twins for our #4 baby (and last) I am so not prepared for #5 Kids

Alanismum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanismum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 9:39am
Catie, My husband had a vasectomy too. Long story, he and his first wife decided not to have kids. But then relationship fell apart, he met me and I wanted kids. So he had it reversed and it worked really well. We only tried for three months and conceived first baby. And we really didn't try for second pregnancy. So I guess I'm lucky for that part. But the MC completely freaked me out. Plus then of course worries about any genetic defects because we're both older parents.

catie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Chickaboo Chickaboo wrote:

catie do share your story bout the downs...

hi Chickaboo
I'm a researcher and have access to the medical journals, so naturally have done a search to see if there's anything that can be done to reduce likelihood.
There has been some research done that suggests that large (5g) doses of folic acid can reduce the risk. this was initially suggested a few years ago when it was realised that people at risk of spina bifida also seem more likely to have DS babies. Following that, some research found that mothers of children with DS had lower levels of folic acid in their systems, and then women aking high doses of FA were tracked and were found to have fewer DS babies than would be expected. HOWEVER there has been very little further research done, and these studies had small samples, so it's not possible to say that a link that has been proven. But there doesn't seem to be any harm in taking the high dose of folic acid, so I figure, why not? I copied some of the relevant points into one document, so let me know if you'd like me to email you a copy.
A couple of other things in the research literature: a suggestion that older mums may have sex less frequently, therefore their eggs may be fertilised relatively late in the cycle and this relative aging of the egg could have -ve consequences, and also their partner's sperm will be relatively old (i.e. been 'hanging around' for quite a few days or even longer), if they're having less sex - so Bd'ing every couple of days and keeping a close eye on ovulation are probably good tings to do too.
and one thing I think a lot of people tend to forget, is that the majority of kids born with DS don't have older Mum's - clearly maternal age isn't the be all and end all we sometimes think it is.
Chickaboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 3:59pm
thanks for that catie.

Helen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 5:29pm
Hi. I just wanted to let you know that I am 42 and am currently pregnany with #2. I'll try not to ramble but here's what happened with us.

Married DH at almost 34 and started TTC straight away. Took just over a year to conceive and DD was born when I was 35. I was diagnosed with PND although never had treatment but because of that and because DD wasn't the easiest with sleeping and eating I said "not a snowballs chance in h@ll are we doing that again". Pregnancy and birth were really good though.

So when DD was 3 we started to TTC again. It took about 18 months and then lost that baby at 16 weeks. Went in for an amnio and they do a scan beforehand and found bubs had died either that day or the day before.

Started TTC again and it took another 18 months. We had the nucal scan and blood test (combined result was 1:520 which was "great for my age") but we decided to go ahead with the amnio anyway. Did this and bubs was fine and the procedure wasn't too bad and I rested heaps atfterwards. Anatomy scan was good too although I have a low lying placenta. Once we got the okay on the scan then we told people. I guess after loosing the last one we have never considered the baby to be "safe". This baby is due mid June.

My theory is that you are as old as you feel - to a certain extent of course!   I exercise a lot and take a multi vitamin and to be honest my body is just as good or if not better than some 20-30 year olds on coping with pregnany.

Mentally having lost one I doubt you will relax but I would say go for it. Get a good mw or OB and they can help with all the testing and support.

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 10:06pm
Bump for Sprackleberries
Sprackleberries View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sprackleberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 10:22pm
Thanks Babe!

Hi everyone - I am 40 and expecting my 3rd on 9th Feb 2010.

On way to bed now but just wanted to say Hi - and will swing by tomorrow!

Have a good sleep!

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 10:24pm
Wow its so cool to see so many of you UTD!! Congrats!!

+1 May 09 Angel
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 7:43am
Hi Sprackleberries

I'm 36 and TTC #1 been off bcp since Jan, at my age i'm aware it can take up to 18 months to conceive, its a relief to know other women are in the same situation as me and have managed to have their families.

GL

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Happygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 8:15am
Hey there,
Well I'm 39 trying for first... My DH is 39 too.. Had all our tests done and all good, so just will take time I think. Im on clomid now, 2nd cycle, so that seems to be going well so far, got my FX bigtime for this month!!! Seems to be alot of us older ones out there which is great!! I still only feel 25... hehe.. Good luck to everyone!!!
Buttersmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buttersmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 8:18am
Yeah it is very reassuring that women in their 30's are having lots of babies hopefully at 34 I'll be one of them too

my little blobby April 09 "gone but will never be forgotten xx"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>