FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCitalopram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citalopram
    Posted: 24 September 2007 at 7:29am
I was prescribed this stuff (20mg) & have since learned, for it to take effect you need to take 60mg. So yea its like i was taking nothing...
Dr these days, do they even know what they are talking about. They just want your money & it goes round & round & round
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2007 at 7:36am
where did you get that info from tho?... i just did a google search and 60mg is the recommended max dose and that it would take 2-3 weeks to determine the effect...

i'll cut and paste what i got from www.medsafe.govt.nz

The dose may be taken in the morning or evening without regard for food. As the treatment result in general can be evaluated only after 2-3 weeks of treatment, a possible dose increase in increments of 10 mg should take place with intervals of 2-3 weeks.
Adults: Arrow - Citalopram should be administered as a single oral dose of 20 mg daily. Dependent on individual patient response and severity of depression, the dose may be increased to a maximum of 60 mg daily.
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2007 at 7:47am
My psychiatrist(an American) & the info sheet in the packet. I was on 10mg for a week & then 20mg for 3wks. I felt no better. I have a dumb doctor!! Now im on some other schitt (*Lies* i dont take it)
Got MMH appointment today so no doubt i'll get into trouble

Edited by Glow
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2007 at 8:35am

I think that is the stuff my DH takes and he is only on 20mg, he has been on it for 6 weeks now and he is back to his normal self (as normal as normal can be). I hope you get some answers today.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2007 at 3:24pm
I used to take it but it made me nauseous, even in a 10mg dose. I've found that with all of the SSRI's I've tried except one which isn't subsidised so is super expensive. So I take tricyclics instead.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2007 at 4:15pm

I was taking 10mg of citalopram but it gave Alize a bad skin rash  thur bfeeding so I stopped it. I would continue on the dose prescribed and go back and see GP or who ever prescribed and and let them know how you are and they may adjust your dose accordingly.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2007 at 4:48pm
For some people they like to wean you onto it and increase the dose gradually as it cuts down effects of possible side effects. You also need to allow 4-6 weeks for it to start being effective.

Emma I am the same as you me and SSRI's just don't go together.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 10:02pm

I started on 20 and the after a month moved to 40 and that dose worked really well for me.  60mg is a huge dose and I don't know of anyone on that amount.  All those I know on it are on either  20 or 40mg.  The hard part is that it can take so long to start to work, so it could be a month or more before they realise you need a higer dose - so frustrating

Mother to two beautiful children - Sophie age 6 and Ephraim age 4

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 11:33pm
Not a fan of Citalopram or SSRI's here either, am in the same boat as Emma (Maya) & nuttymama here - tricyclics all the way.
Amanda189221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda189221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 9:30pm
So far so good. I was previously on this medication about 3 years ago, can't remember suffering any major side effects, but remember being generally happy with the results. I used the Citalopram successfully at a very small dose - 10 mg a day. The depression lifted within a few weeks and I felt much better. It was very effective for the depression and I think it literally saved me at that point in my life. Of course, everyone will react differently to different medications in the SSRI class (as it alters the serotonin levels in your brain), but generally, Citalopram is held to be one of the more ‘stable’ options available, and the one that works best for most people.
P.S. I bought the pills from a reliable online pharmacy http://generic-meds-store.com because I find their prices being cheaper in comparison with other pharmacies. No complaints
 Post Reply Post Reply