FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAge gaps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Age gaps
    Posted: 25 October 2007 at 6:16pm
Not sure whether this is the right place to post but hey.

What age gaps do you have between children and what are the good points and bad points of the gap you have.

I want to TTC#2 when Spencer is 1, DH said 7 then 5 and now 3 so long as he is earning 100K plus and can have a new car lol
He thinks it will be easier if Spencer is already at school or kindy, I think it is better to have them close together and get all the pregancy and nappy stuff out of the way quicker.

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 6:28pm
100K plus!! I wish my DH could earn near that amount! lol..

We have been thinking the same thing recently. We would either go with a smallish age gap of 18 months or 3 years.. haven't decided
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 6:28pm
I can see the positives to both the situations we are hopefully going to be in the middle somewhere. I guess it all comes down to personal choice and what suits you. I think that I'd rather have pregnancy nappies etc over and done with, but then the thought of 2 quite close is a bit scary! So much to think about!!
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 6:40pm
There's 3 1/2 years between Maya and the gremlins, we would have liked a smaller gap but it didn't work out that way, and IMO they way things worked out has been perfect, Maya was old enough to cope with the chaos of the gremlins arrival and she adores her baby sisters. We're planning on TTC again around this time next year and all going well will have somewhere between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 years between the gremlins and the next one.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 6:43pm
We chose to have 3 years in between but it worked out to be 3.5yrs and that has worked out great for us because Bay is toilet trained, a great sleeper, self suficient (SP?), secure, happy, at daycare, walks instead of needing to go in a pram as well, understands better about baby, helpful etc BUT this is all compared to my SIL who has 3 under 3 (1yr between each!) and has found great struggles so i have no idea how others find having them close.

I personally didnt think i could handle having 2 under 2 or 3. DH asked me when Bay was 1 if we could try for another baby and i said no because i didnt feel ready and to me Bay was still a baby! ...i wanted 5 yrs!!! so we compromised and went for 3yrs. We started TTC just before Bay was 2 and even then i didnt feel ready but knew it would take a while anyway.

To be honest im finding Bay WAY!!!!! more demanding and a handful now than he has ever been but thems the breaks and we are happy with the age gap.

I wanted 10 yrs between Astin and the next 1-2 kiddies but DH wants the same age gap for all and i think im happy with that.

Man what a waffle!!!!! lol
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

..... between the gremlins and the next one.

one????? teehee two maybe???
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

100K plus!! I wish my DH could earn near that amount! lol..

We have been thinking the same thing recently. We would either go with a smallish age gap of 18 months or 3 years.. haven't decided

So do I!!! he just said it to be ridiculous, when I asked what car he said a ferrari!!!!
Believe me if he could earn near that amount I wouldn't being going back to work ever.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 7:02pm
We are wanting them close together. I am hoping to start TTC in Feb. Tom will only be 6 months. But I like the idea of getting it over and done with fast. So far Tom has been a really easy baby so that may be clouding my judgement.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 7:07pm
Yeah Spencer is fairly easy going as well. I suppose I shouldn't assume the next one would be as well

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 7:25pm
I like the closish gaps, between 18mos and 2yrs is my ideal. Even though it's a lot of work when each baby arrives (it is anyway, right?), so much of your work is just like, change the toddler's nappy, change the baby's nappy, etc. And if I have had a crap night, I don't still have to do a school run! I think the kids adjust quicker to having a new person around - less rivalry and less time to wait until the development ages are close enough to play together. But I actually think that people can make any gap work and it's just when you feel ready. In some ways I think I should devote the next 6 or so years to nappies and then be over and done with
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 7:32pm
Ive got 2.5yrs between my boys & think its great for the same reasons as Amber- independence!!

Yep they are all different & dummy mummy me had to try again after having a difficult first born!!

Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 8:10pm
Argh, I have no idea. At this stage, DD will be 4 by the time another would arrive. Leaning towards a larger gap, if any gap.. one child maybe!

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 9:12pm

We have almost 3 years and it is great. Andrew was old enough to understand that he wasn't the only one from now on and the big thing for me was that he was TT'ed. It is each to their own my friend has a 14 month gap and thinks that is great whereas I could not do that.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Helen21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 9:43am
We have 2yrs 4 mths between Chloe and Miya and find that great, I had a difficult pgy which was a bit hard on Chloe because I was in and out of hospital a lot which unsettled her. As soon as Miya was born it was great, she wanted to help and had her own baby to do all the things I did to Miya. Chloe was also completely TTed during the day which helped.

Now Miya is almost 2 they are best of friends and do almost everything together. They are both very protective of each other, if one cries the other comforts them etc. Chloe tries to teach Miya everything, counting, names of things, playing different games, songs and even to sit on the toilet!

The only downside I've found is in the first six weeks Chloe did get a little jealous when I was bfing all the time and now sometimes Chloe can get a bit too 'motherly' and tries to tell Miya what to do and tells her off and we have to keep reminding her that that's what DH and I are here for!

Chloe 12/7/03
Miya 5/11/05
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 10:07am
ah thats kinda cute in a way. There is 19 months between me an my sister, my mum had to use nipple shields with her cos she was a biter and apparently everytime mum fed her I had to have a nipple shield and would feed my doll lol

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 10:11am
We have 4 years between Kiya and Josiah, 18 months between Josiah and Xavier, and there should be 18 months again between Xavier and Crumb.

The larger gap between Kiya and Josiah wasn't the ideal, but as I didn't meet my husband until Kiya was 6 months old that's the way things worked out! It wasn't too bad, as Kiya started morning kindy the day Josiah was born so she had her special things and I had one-on-one time with the baby. At 4yo, she was old enough to understand that the baby was dependant on me and didn't get too jealous. Its now that they both are older there's a bit of sibling rivalry when she thinks we treat her brothers better than we treat her - usually because we've asked her to do something we know she can do but we do it for the boys as they aren't big enough.

We were going to start trying for #3 (Xavier) when Josiah was 1yo, aiming for a gap of about 20/21 months... at his first birthday I was 3 months pregnant! 18 months hasn't been too bad... Josiah was walking at 9.5 months so I didn't have to carry him everywhere in the later stages, like busymum said a toddler and a newborn sort of work in together for a lot of things. Kiya had been at school for 6 months when Xavier was born, and was quite independant.

We had just agreed to start trying for #4 (Crumb) when Xavier was 18 months old... well, looks like I'm due then! I'm not worried about the gap between Crumb and Xavier, should work out like the gap between Xavier and Josiah did... I'm not worried about the gap between Crumb and Kiya as she'll be 7yo and should be fine... it's the gap between Crumb and Josiah that's worrying me. He turns 3 a couple of days before my due date and I think he's going to be the worst for sibling rivalry.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 10:32am
Our age gaps are quite big....
Conor is 12 (he's from a previous relationship)
Nyah is 5
Cooper 7wks.

We didn't mean to have such a big gap between Nyah and Cooper, we just took our sweet time deciding whether or not we wanted a third one... it also took me longer to get pregnant than I thought.

As it turns out, I've found it quite ideal. Nyah started school 3 days after Cooper was born, so I had that time at home with him while she was at school.

Conor is just amazing with both kids, he's so patient and kind to both of them, I guess like a big brother should. I try not to rely to much on him in the afternoon chaos as I know he needs his space and has homework etc to do... but sometimes he wants to help out and that's great.

I guess in hindsight we maybe should have had a smaller age gap, but it just didn't work out that way... and I know that once Cooper is older they will be great friends regardless of their ages.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 1:27pm
We have 18 month's and I love it. We were hoping to have the same did not work out that way tho. I think 18 months work's well now Mikey is walking they play all the time together it is so lovely.
Deborah Mum to:

mum2emj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2emj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 2:50pm
i LOVE the smaller gaps. jade and em 17 months and they are great freinds and close in development and interests which is really nice.
i find that while with jade and kayla jade is lovely with kayla and loves her to bits they dont have much in common with almost 4 years age gap-maybe later in life?
emma and kayla i really dont like the age gap- 2 years 4 months(ish) emma was rougher with kayla than jade was with emma (could be personality?) and i find that emma wants to play with kayla when its just the 2 of them around but em doesnt quite understand that kayla is smaller and doesnt like what emma does.

so i like the closer age gaps for the kids friendships and development.

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 4:14pm
I am actually a little worried about the 2y 4m age gap we will have - hannah is getting very demanding and determined, plus she has stopped having day sleeps now so it will be hard to rest with a newborn. Thinking about it now, I think it would have been easier to have had a newborn around when Han was about 20 months - old enough to know whats going on and able to do some things for herself, but not so time demanding. Although in saying that, everyone makes whatever age gap they have work because you have to!
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>