FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAlternatives to meds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternatives to meds
    Posted: 14 March 2008 at 11:35am
I have now been on 3 different SSRI anti-depressants and have reacted to all 3. The lastest being an allergic reaction 2 weeks ago- hives and breathing probs, for which I needed steriod and anti-histimine injections and tabs.

Well, now that I am over that, and the awful withdrwal process from having to have my meds suddenly stopped, I would like to see what else I can do to help myself that doesnt involve taking meds.
Both my GP and I agree that the SSRI werent particularly effective- the one I reacted to I was up to te highest dose too -, and we would like to see how I go with the weekly phychologist sessions.I now also have much more family support (MIL rings daily and will have Isla whenever I want her too, and Isla stays the night there once a week), and Isla is in daycare 9 hrs a week.
I am still taking Oxazepam(similar to valium) which I needed to get over the withdrawls from the anti-depressants, but am only needing a low dose.

What other things have u used or heard of that would be worth a try? St Johns Wart? Or some sort of natural therapy etc etc?

Edited to fix spelling!

Edited by Kellz
Sponsored Links

CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2008 at 11:41am
I dont know what else there is but am keen to learn. Was going to look it up on the net and DH mentioned something like acupuncture. Will come back to you when I have learnt more!

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2008 at 11:45am
Yeah a friend the other day mentioned accupunture- I had never considered that that could be used for something that isnt physical. Would be keen to see if anyone has tried that.
I am keen to try anything! Lol! I SOOOO dont wanna ever have to go through the awful withdrals that I did this time I reacted.
I am going back to the GP weekly, and we will try a tricyclic antidepressant next if I do need drugs.
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2008 at 11:55am
That family support is important!

What helped me was councelling, and practical home-help. The state of my house is both a trigger and an indication of how I am, and having the home-help come once a week made a big difference to how I coped. She would vacuum, mop, clean the bathroom and toilet, and help me do the dishes and the washing. It meant I knew the last time those things got done and could build on it further.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2008 at 2:23pm
I used to have 3 hrs homehelp a week when we lived in Whakatane, but that service isnt avaialable here. It was more to help me out with Isla and give me a wee break too, cos we didnt have any family living closer than 2 hrs away.

Have made an appointment for accupuncture on Mon with the guy my friend sees and recommends. He said he will do a bug health questionsaire, and get me eating some different foods too,....eek my diet is so shocking at the mo,..I dont wanna tell anyone!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2008 at 2:57pm
Joining a gym? Or making some time for exercise? I know for depression that exercise is really important.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2008 at 3:09pm
Can u babysit?!!
Seriously tho, I have been thinking I really need to re-start some sort of regular excercise, and definalty start eating better too. I am so not a gym person, have joined too many times and given up after a short time. When we have some $$, Im gonna get a kid seat for my bike and start using that again. Maybe walking too.

Edited by Kellz
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2008 at 10:48pm
Cognitive behaviour therapy has been shown to be as effective as medication when treating depression, so that is definitely something I'd look into. It's also a short-term therapy (average 20 sessions) which is handy as it doesn't mean you're in therapy forever, and it gives you a lot of skills to help yourself in case it pops up again.

Let me know if you want more info, I'm doing my last year of training as a cbt therapist, but I really think it's a great tool for depression. I can also recommend a really great DIY cbt book (it's acutally used as our textbook!) if you want to do it yourself!
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 8:06am
I take omega 3, magnesium & multi-vitamins aswell as regular exercise and Its seems to work ok for me.
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 10:14am
My friend swears by fish oil.. she suffers from depression but will only go the natural way as she believes hers isn't a chemical imbalance. And she's become a bit of a fitness freak and I can't tell anymore that she is depressed.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 12:24pm
I'd be wary of St Johns Wart, it can be a bit hit and miss. Sounds like you've got some good support networks and stuff now which should be a huge help, as will the psychology (and living further away from your Dad ). And of course me, your unofficial psychologist!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 7:13pm
Thanks Glow, yeah I was thinking of going to a health shop and seeing what they can offer me.

JadeC, Im seeing a phycologist weekly. I have no idea if its CBT that we do in the sessions tho. I feel like it is definatley helping me.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 7:19pm
Thanks Stacey- think I will definatly go to the health shop and get some fish oil tabs and multi vits. I seem better off the meds at the mo, and my Dr agrees, so maybe I dont have a chemical imbalance either.
Mine was definatly circumstantial depression- birth experience, lack of sleep, mega unsettled baby, problems with medical professionals getting diagnosis for Isla's problems, no family support living closer than 2 hrs drive, then moving towns last Oct and then the earthquake in dec so didnt help either. Now things are much more settled, and Im working through a lot of the issues and have more support etc, I am sure I can do this!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

And of course me, your unofficial psychologist!

Lol,..is that what u call yourself,...I would think 'fellow fruit loop' would be a more accurate discription

And thatnks about the St Jonhs Wart warning,...will try the fish oil and multi vits, and a better diet first!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 8:34pm
Ha ha ha. Takes one to know one I guess!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 8:48pm
I my MIL. She gave us $$ tonight to pay for tabs at the health shop and for seeing the accupuncturist on Mon. We didnt even tell her til very recently about my PND cos we didnt know how DH side of the family would react, and now they are all being unimaginably great about it. Yay!
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 8:14am
Evening primrose oil caps are good to take too, I find they are a great help especially around 'that' time of the month!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 9:41am
Oh really? EPO? Ok will think about that do, could definatly do with some help with PMS, especially since my cycle is 23 days,..seems like I always have PMS!
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 9:12pm
Even though the ones I take are 'horse pill' sized I make sure I do every day, otherwise if I forget things tend to really bottom out when my period hits!

I've found St Johns Wort good in the past and never had to personally worry about whether to take it on a long term basis or not - maybe 2 or 3 months max to get through the odd rough patch.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 9:37pm
My sister swore by EPO when she wasn't on BCP coz she gets really nasty AF's.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>