FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy baby wont take a bottle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My baby wont take a bottle
    Posted: 04 April 2008 at 11:10am
He's 5.5 months old. He's had formula a few times before & took it fine. The doctor wants us to start giving him top ups of formula but he won't take it. He either just plays with the bottle or gets really grumpy & just tries to feed from me. Other people have tried giving it to him but he still won't take it. Any advice?
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 11:23am
i'm prob not going to help much cause my advice is dont bother then. i'm not sure why the doc would suggest formula top ups but if its a nutrition thing then there are ways of improving your breast milk instead...

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 11:32am
Have you tried to have Complan and Banana? That would help with your supply.

Why are you having to do top ups? Is he not gaining weight?

What teats are you using?
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 12:29pm

I had heaps of problems getting Ella to take a bottle when she was 3 months and in the end I have to give up and waited until she was 6 months and she took is first time (strange baby). Does he drink water from a sipper cup? depends on how much formula you have to give him, but you try it in the cup???? I think one of the reasons Ella took the bottle 2nd time around was that she had gotten used to drinking from a cup.....

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 1:47pm
You may need to get a teat which is as close as possible to feeding from a breast. Apparently NUK are good.

I have been seeing plunket and it's been decided that I need to supplement feed also. Today the plunket lady gave me this teat called the "chu chu" which has a valve in it so the milk won't come out on its own, they actually have to suck like they would on the breast. Your baby could prefer this perhaps. I have never seen one anywhere but you could possibly check with your plunket to see if they can get them in. cost me $10 but it'll be worth it if it works. I've only just come home with it so haven't tried it yet though.

Have you also tried different types of formula?

Good luck.

Edited by Freesia
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 7:41pm
You shouldn't have to top up bf, especially at that age probably all he needs as 'supplement' is the introduction of solids! But otherwise check that the teat is easy-flow. Teats and nipples are quite different in terms of sucking needs. He may just be refusing the taste as 'artificial bm'. If his weight is holding course not dropping, I'd forget it.
 Post Reply Post Reply