FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedD&C Wating List Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D&C Wating List Question
    Posted: 06 April 2008 at 4:47pm
Not sure where to post this.

Has anyone else had a D&C for a missed miscarriage in Akl?   How long did you have to wait before they could fit you in?

On Fri I was told it'd happen over the weekend. Then I was told they are closed on the weekend and they MAY be on touch on Monday but they would call with a time sometimes next week. Then they said they would call to make an appt for me to talk to a doc and if they decided to do a D&C they would then give me a date.

It sounds crude to say this but it is true...I am currently carrying a dead baby and I am very ready for a D&C.   I still feel pregnant as my body still thinks it is. I am exhuasted, hungry all the time, naseous, very sore bbs etc and it is really not fun. I want the pregnancy out and although I fully understand the hospitals constraints I wish it could happen soon. I'm also mildly aware of the risk of infection.

Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 6:00pm
Gosh! I didnt realise you had to wait! I was lucky in that mine appeared to all happen naturally but otherwise I would be like you....want it done NOW!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 6:14pm
fiona- i am in chch so not much help but i found out on a friday..and was like you..i had been carrying the bub for 4 weeks already when i found out and wanted it out now before i miscarried naturally:( but they were trying to fit me in monday and in the end got it done on the tuesday...the care etc i got was great but man was i highly pissed i had to wait an extra 5 days:( as far as infection i was worried too but as it had already been 4 weeks adn it took 5 days to get it done the bub was in an extra 5 weeks and all was ok:(
Mum to two amazing boys!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 7:32pm
Fiona I can help you much there but can just say i know what you're going thru, I had the 1st scan, then waited a week in case they got it wrong.. (i mean come on, what were the chances..) then had to wait even longer because they initially made an appointment for me then rung back to say they couldn't cos blood services were on strike, so i had to wait another week. I was feeling the same, just wanting it out, feeling petrified that i'd m/c naturally. I hope you can get in soon.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 8:08pm
D&C's are quite safe right? I keep hearing conflicting things...one person said that help preserve fertility (I guess as opposed to the risk of infection or incomplete miscarrige) and then the second person said as it is invasive it increased your risk of future miscarriages.   I had a D&C before for polyps but it was through fertility associates so I knew they would do a good job.
gemsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 8:38pm
As far as I know D&C's are safe. I had one after a mmc with my first pregnancy. I'm now up to pregnancy number 4 and no further miscarriages. I was the same as you and just wanted it all over and done with at the time.
Big hugs - I hope it all gets sorted sooner rather than later.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 8:58pm
Yep, very safe. I've had 2 and am now on pregnancy #5. I have no idea who did mine, one was done at the old Nat Womens and one at Royal North Shore in Sydney, so they could have been any old hack. But they also use suction these days which is far gentler on the womb than the old scrapers. I was told to wait one full cycle post d and c before TTC tho to allow a decent lining to build up.

I have no idea about the waiting list, but for the record I'm disgusted at how you've been treated Fiona
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 9:03pm
Well the way I feel ATM I don't want more babies...want to work...be rich and have a nice lifestyle. LOL yeah right.

I'm sure once the hormones go down it'll be cluck cluck again.

I will wait one cycle at least though as I want to get my health (diet, exercise, sleep, stress) on track again. Feels like such a whirlwind lately. BUT it could be worse. It could always be worse.
emachan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 9:11pm
*hugs* Fiona - I hope that tomorrow things go well for you!
I know what you mean about just wanting it out! With my missed m/c at 12weeks, I had already started to bleed and didn't want to 'pass' out my baby and see it, cos on the ultrasound it was 2.5cm! (9weeks), I just wanted it out and be able to TTC again as soon as possible. Took me 9 months to concieve though but worth it in the end (timing etc)
I found that only up until a few cycles before I got preg again, my cycles were really light and short after my D&C (used to get heavy painful periods, mainly on day 1).
The thing I kinda liked, but felt sad too about, was there were 4 girls who went in before me and a couple after when I had my D&C so it must happen quite often
Good luck chicky - the hospital staff I had in Chch were so understanding and caring, so hopefully up in Auckland they're the same.

DD#1 Sept 08
DD#2 Oct 09
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 9:33pm
When I was in having my last d and c I had to stay the night coz my BP wasn't behaving (and neither was I ) and there was a woman in the same room as me who was having a suspected ectopic and was about to lose her tube, I remember thinking that no matter how sucky my situation was, at least it wasn't as bad as hers.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 1:22am
Fiona firstly a big. This is such a sucky situation for you to be in

I had my D&C at North Shore Hospital. My last D&C I finally had the confirmation that the baby had died on the Thursday, saw the hospital on the Friday, but then had to wait until the Tuesday to actually go in and have the D&C. I too was terrified that I would go naturally and just wanted it to be over.
The doctor at the hospital said that generally you will go in the next day for it, but obviously not on a weekend.

As for the increased risk of a m/c. I did ask the question (as it was my 3rd D&C) and the doctor said that it is completely incorrect. She said that in my case (scan at 12 weeks showed baby had died at 7) my body was doing everything right to hold onto the pregnancy so the baby dying was purely because of some kind of genetic issue. She told me (not that it made me feel any better at the time!!) that it was actually a good sign that my body held onto it and it showed my body wasn't the cause of the m/c.

I hope that helps somewhat

Edited by Mum2Sam

yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 2:56am
I've never had a D&C - just wanted to send you a hug
Hope they can do better for you this week

Edited by yummymummy

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 9:09am
yeah it freaked me out as i read it can increase the chance of an incompetent cervix ...but from what I've been told its only very slight if at all...i got told same as above about it being a good sign that my body held onto the baby (which i guess was right as i was at risk of premature labour with Ethan and it never happened) ..

emachan i found the chch staff great too but the waiting was crap:( and it must have made me more fertile as we had to wait three months but i got pregnant the first night after we were allowed to try, and yes assuming they get all the tissue it is very safe.
Mum to two amazing boys!
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 9:09am
The hosp have phoned and I have my time. They seemed vey nice on the phone.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 9:14am
i had to stay in due to excess bleeding and even then they were very nice..didnt rush me out and were very sensitive..hopefully auck are the same.
Mum to two amazing boys!
 Post Reply Post Reply