FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSo those of you that DON’T do CC or CIO..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So those of you that DON’T do CC or CIO..
    Posted: 04 June 2008 at 6:18pm
How does your baby sleep? What do you do to get them to sleep? I want to get my 7.5 month old to sleep better without leaving him to cry. He did sleep really well for awhile but not now.
Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 6:24pm

I shush a lot.  I find that if I hold him in my arms across my chest with on if his arms tucked under my arm I can then rock him by swaying from side to side (kind of twisting) and his eyes start rolling back really fast.  Otherwise I sit with him in the chair and shush him till he gets really sleepy. 

I always try to put him to sleep awake and tell him "mummy is just going to put you in your bed now"

If he is already in bed I rub his chest or side and shush.  We also have an ipod and play Majors for minors which is orchestral versions of lullabies....he likes his music.

So I guess we arent doing things perfect but it works.  I know that I CAN get him to sleep if I can be bothered putting the time in. 

Some days I cant and I just put him in, tuck him in tight, put his music on and leave the room. I then end up going back every few minutes to lie him back down and eventually he tires and stays down.  I dont let him cry but I do let him complain!

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 7:03pm
I might not be too much help as Spencer has been self settling since about 4-5months, but what I did when he was little to teach him to self settle, was, once he was older enough that he didn't just fall asleep feeding then I would rock and shush until he was drowsy and then put him in his bassinet, if he didn't drop off to sleep then I would pat and shush him with him still in bed, and if he got upset then I would pick him up and rock and shush and then put him back to bed when he was drowsy and content again.

After a while of doing this I would then put him to bed as soon as he showed tired signs and would just pat and shush with him in bed until drowsy and then leave him, and go back/pick him up if needed. At one stage he would get upset if I left the room so for a while I would sit next to him until he fell asleep and then I phased that out the same way, so would stay until he was just dropping off and then once happy with that I started leaving straight away.

Now he self settles 99.9% of the time but on the occasions that he doesn't I normally get him up for an extra cuddle and then put him back to bed, if that doesn't work then generally I will just sit next to him for a while. We also have a babytad in his room that can play up to 6 mins of music so sometimes we put that on for him.

Our routine for all his sleeps is that I change his bum if needed, put him in his peke moe (sleep bag type thing), strap him into the safety sleep, kiss him and say night night and leave.

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 7:21pm
I recommend the book The No Cry Sleep Solution for lots of ideas.

My boy is younger, but we just wrap him with one arm out and give him his dummy. If he's over tired I just cuddle him and sway/jiggle and then put him into bed when he's calmed down.
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 7:48pm
When Cooper was younger I did a jiggle/sway/shush combo. I'd make sure I was holding him really tight and would make sure his arms were pinned against me, in a non harming way.

He self settles really now.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 7:54pm
i was a shusher and back rubber...

but also not averse to cuddling or feeding to sleep either.

Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 8:13pm
With Keziah I find swaddling her (one arm out) and giving her a bottle & a clean nappy just before bed helps alot.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 8:55pm
I used to feed Jack to sleep but have phased that out. I hold him and sing nursery rhymes to him until he goes to sleep and then put him in bed asleep. I used to rock him but I am phasing that out as I am trying to get the energy up to teach him to self settle at bed time. I am pretty sure he can self settle at times during the night as I have heard him make a moaning/grizzle noise for a minute or so and then go back to sleep.

When I wean him off singing/cuddling to sleep I will use a 'baby steps' plan, very similar to cuppatea which I learnt from Sleeping like a baby. I used this to wean him from feeding to sleep. It also has lots of ideas of other sleep associations to use
Lindsey

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 9:42pm
One of us sings to her bedtime song and puts her down .. sometimes we can just leave her, if she grizzles one of us sits with her and sings her lullabye through a few times ... we will also rock her if required (only works with her bassinette though .. we cant shake the cot lol)

If she is overtired I usually pick her up, hold her sideways against me and rock and pat and sing her to sleep

DH perserveres (sp) with singing and patting and sshhhing but I dont have the patience when I know I can usually get her to sleep pretty quickly by doing the above mentioned.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
monster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 9:48pm
If he won't settle on his own our swiss ball does the trick every time. A few gentle bounces and he's out to it. At times when he's really upset (sick, jabs etc) it can always calm him down - I'm guessing it's the gentle motion. Plus it's easy for us as we just hold him, sit down and our legs do all the work.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 9:58pm
I quite often use the swissball too! So much easier.

If really desperate, i put her in the sling and let her sleep in that.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 4:24pm
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.:)
 Post Reply Post Reply