FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPND perceptions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PND perceptions
    Posted: 06 June 2008 at 1:46pm

This is a bit of a rant from me, but it has really annoyed me.

I have been thinking about how they are handling the PND storyline on shortland street, specifically with Maia leaving her baby alone in the house and going out.  It always seems to me that the media and tv shows etc only ever portray the extreme version of PND - ie abandoning a baby etc. I am not stupid, I know its good for ratings, but I think it kind of glosses over all those women struggling with PND that dont do extreme things, but are suffering none the less.

I think that a lot of people suffer in silence, and dont talk about it, because the perception (not helped by the media) is that if you have PND then you are going to do something drastic like hurt your baby, or yourself. Its not the case, but I know in my case it has really stopped me from talking to people about my PND, because I dont want them over-reacting and presuming I am fruitloop or that O is at risk in some way. I havent even told my family because they are prone to over-reacting.

In some ways I think its good that programmes like Shortland Street are tackling the issues like PND, but I would like to see some more realistic portrayals in the media - like the ads that are always showing about depression, it would be good to see a series about PND. Help to normalise it in peoples minds, help people understand that you can have it and it doesnt mean that you are failure or fruitloop. Help people recognise the signs of it (without looking for the "extreme" signs), help people understand that you can get over it, help people understnad that those with PND will have good days and bad days, it doesnt mean that they are suddenly "cured" if they havent had a bad day for a while.....

Sorry rant over.....

Sponsored Links

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 2:47pm
I totally agree (although I don't watch Shorty). I put off talking to the doc for ages as I thought I just needed to 'harden up' as I wasn't showing all the symptoms and of course some of those are fairly extreme.

They did that on Scrubs too - made Carla run off and leave the baby with a little boy so she could get a retail job.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 3:11pm

I agree.  It's great that they're showing people with PND on screen and I understand why the soaps need to over dramatise but it would be useful for those that have never experienced PND to know what the signs are (at all levels, not just in the ultra extreme obvious cases).  Having TV ads like the ones currently screening for depression is a great idea.

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 3:18pm

I totally agree. I have suffered PND twice (and still am struggling with it now) and I am nothing (well I hope I am not) like what Maia has done. Sure there are time when I have wanted to just get up and run away, but instead I have gone to a safe place just outside, but still on my property.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 3:32pm
well said Sim Sam.. esp in regards to shorters and the depression ads.. if i told people I have depression they would be like oh ok..like John Kirwan.. but if i tell people about the OCD they look at me like I'm mental sometimes:)

Edited by foxxy_one
Mum to two amazing boys!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2008 at 8:56pm
LOl Foxxy, I usually make a joke of my OCD, like it's just a personality quirk rather than a mental illness. Drives my therapist nuts coz I refuse to take it seriously which apparently doesn't help fix it!

I agree with you totally Sam, another thing that gets me is that it looks like it's going to be that Maia's PND is all coz the baby has Kennedys instead of just a response to a normal pregnancy and birth like most women experience it as.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2008 at 9:12pm
maya yes that is another annoying thing about Maia's experience..why cant they for once make the situation like real life:(

Oh i always joke about my OCD too in much the same way :)

to the therapist!
Mum to two amazing boys!
 Post Reply Post Reply