FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedkids in cars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kids in cars
    Posted: 27 July 2008 at 12:27pm
im sure we all do it , pull up at the petrol station, put the gas in and go into pay , leaving the kids in the car.
well i do, i lock the doors tho
i think its safer than sarah running around on a forecourt anyway.
but . . .
my mum has just dropped sarah off in tears!
i feel so bad for her
she took sarah to the supermarket with her and to the hospital to see a relitave, then on the way home stopped in town and mum ran into the bakery to pick up a cake we had ordered.
mum parked about 10metres away from the door of the shop, and was about 3min max in the shop and came out to find a old couple standing infront of her car.
sarah sitting in her seat in the back of the car looking at her book as she wasnt feeling to good..
the old lady started YELLING at mum telling her how irrisponsable she was and aparently she was a social worker, and mum was a disgrace to society.
mum politley said " ok alright, i was only in that shop there "pointing to the shop basicly infront of them
then the womans husband got rite in mums face saying "NO its not alright, ive taken your numberplate and im reporting you to the police"
sarah got really upset by this
and mum did too (shes already on antidepressants ) so that didnt help at all.

i thought it was horrible of the old coupple.
its not like she was in the car for hours and hours while mum went all around town, it wouldve been max 4min.

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 12:45pm
yeah but the old couple didnt know that and too many times kids are left in cars while the parents are off doing irresponsible things.    would it have been so horrible of the old couple if they had been telling off someone who had been gone an hour or two!?

good on them for taking action if they see a wrong, a pity they couldnt have done it in a nicer way tho!

CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 5:25pm
OMG! That is just ridiculous.

1. Your child was calmly sitting there reading, she was obviously not in distress and yelling her lungs out.

2. She is 5, not 5 months

3. The doors were probably locked, yes?

4. 99.9% of mothers do it!

Ok, I can understand some people have concerns, but they didn't have to yell in her face! The police won't do anything, and even if they did, Sarah obviously was perfectly happy, would have some idea of the time Nana left her there. What a couple of busy bodies.

Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 5:34pm
yep the doors were locked.

the amount of time my mum was gone they would have actually had seen her leave the car and go into the shop.

i rang the police station here as my mum was so upset and told them what had happened.

the lady said they get soooooo many complaints from oldies about kids in cars, they asked how old she was and i said nearly 6 and she laughed and said they only follow theese things up when

1) its and infant

2) the child is distessed

3) its themiddle of summer

or 4) they child has been there for an extended period of time or they have had more than 1 complaint.

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 5:41pm
I am shocked..that is awful for your Mum... I hate it when people get in other peoples business when it's obviously not needed like that:( poor Sarah!
Mum to two amazing boys!
tashzmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashzmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2008 at 8:02pm
how horrible for your mum!!

im sure that we have all done it and some people should mind your own business.
as i was dropping tash off at kindy the other day one of the teachers asked why i dont leave the twins in the car while i run in and sign tash in. but normally i have other things to do in town at that time. but if its pouring with rain and im not doing anything else in town then yup i would leave them in the car.
Natasha Jayde, 1-01-05(7lb3oz)
Caroline Elisabeth, 9-04-08 (4lb15oz)
Izabella Kate, 9-04-08(6lb7oz)
Lexi Brenna, 23-01--2011(6lb6oz)
2bmumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bmumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2008 at 8:17pm
Yip I'm guilty of shooting int dairy or to pay for gas and locking kids in car. It's way safer IMO than getting them all out, dodging other cars etc. Nosey old buggers, bet ya mum felt like slapping them. Old people are soo nosey and opionionated (sp?)
Sara

Corban (22/11/04)
Connor (18/04/06)
Chelsea (21/05/08)
blondie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2008 at 9:27pm

Yip i also leave our 3 kids in the car while i get the fuel but a few years ago my DH and I did call the police about kids in the car we went to pak n save pulled up next to a car that had 2 little kids asleep in it we thought well if they are still there when we finsh our shopping then we will do something well after about 45-plus mins we were back at our car and yes the kids were still in there by themselves in saying this I wouldn't have done what that old couple did.  I would only do it if I thought the kids safety was in danger

Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2008 at 5:57am
I have never once left either of the girls in the car on their own- not to run into the gas station, the dairy, or the hole in the wall right in front of the car- not anywhere, ever. My choice, I just think the minor inconvenience of getting them out is worth it when I think of what could happen when I just 'whip in' somewhere. In saying that- the only way I would ever nark or have a go at someone else is if the child were in distress or in danger or it had been a prolonged period of time. Even then I would say something quietly and calmly- that was hardly something to yell and scream at someone over!
Sounds like that old couple caused far more distress to poor Sarah than her being left! Silly old biddies.
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Post Reply Post Reply