FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew and not sure what to do

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lotte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New and not sure what to do
    Posted: 29 August 2008 at 11:46am
Hi. I'm new here and reading previous posts and your stories has brought back so many emotions for me. I am so lucky to have two beautiful daughters, but between the two of them I had two miscarriages at 7 weeks and 8 weeks. It was one of the loneliest and saddest times of my life.

I am now 6 weeks 2 days pregnant and so scared of miscarrying again. How did you all get through those first few months? I go to the toilet all the time just to check if I am bleeding, and it's always on my mind.

I had my two girls in London so this is my first experience of the NZ system. I've got a appointment booked with my obstetrician when I'll be almost 9 weeks for a scan, but I really don't think I can wait till then for some reasurance. Do you think I could go to my GP and ask for another earlier scan? Or would this be a bit like going behind my obstetricians back?

Sorry this is so long. Would really appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 11:56am
Perhaps you could ask your gp for some hcg level tests. hcg is what is picked up in the urine test and should double every 48-72 hours. If you doc won't refer you for this you can just go to medlab and pay to have them done yourself. At 6 weeks a scan might not give you much reasurrance as sometimes they can see a heartbeat but other times they can't even though everything is still ok and that can make things more worrying.

Loo checking is totally normal to, I still do it now, thought I would stop once I got past the 12 week mark but nope.

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 12:16pm

Ask your dr for some blood tests that you can repeat in a few days. Doubling is a good way to show everything is all good.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 1:31pm
I agree with the others about the blood tests. I also don't think it would be going behind your Obs back to have a scan if it gives you reassurance. Like what cuppa tea said about at six weeks not always seeing the heartbeat, my doctor recommended I have a scan at seven weeks so that it is more certain.
Or otherwise could you ring the Obstetricians reception and explain your situation and that you would like a referral form for an early scan just for peace of mind?
nellybelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nellybelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 2:21pm
I think anything that puts your mind at ease is ok! And congratulations too btw
kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 3:31pm

Lotte it is a stressfull time and as cuppatea said, even after the 12 wk mark it is quite easy to slip back into the wondering etc but as the others said about the blood tests that was what helped me get thru to my 12wk scan (I mc last year at 11 1/2 wks) without becoming a nervous wreck, and you could ask for them weekly to put your mind at ease also.  My mw was fantasitc also, she asked if I had any morning sickness etc which I don't normally have just felt a bit off sometimes which she explained was a good thing because that was all to do with the hormones.  

Good luck, dont forget to come onto here as this is a great place for support or just venting.  Although you may find it hard for a while try to enjoy your pregnancy and good luck

Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
linda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 8:35pm
Lotte, if you are worried about it to much then go to your GP and explain your fears and your need for a scan. Sometimes it is better to put your mind at ease and if getting the scan does it then that is what I would do.

I just recently did that. Had a MC in May 08 and got Pregnant again in Jul. Had some spotting so had a scan at 6 weeks and that was reasurring but then started to worry big time again at 8 weeks so saw the doctor again and got another scan. It worked for me, put my mind at ease so for me a good result. Good luck

Alex 6 and Harry 8
Lotte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 10:53am
Thank you all for your replies.

Am feeling a bit more positive today. Just have some days where it is hard to keep the panic at bay!

I'll make an appointment with my GP and see what he says. Am sure he'll get the blood tests done for me anyway and hopefully a scan - am nearly 7 weeks now.

Is such a long time till 12 weeks and even then it's hard to relax !
Shadowdance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowdance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 2:25pm
First of all congratulations :)

Secondly, nothing you can do is going to alleviate your fears because once you've been through something like that, it's a part of you and the innocence of pregnancy is gone.
You're going to be scared until you hold that beautiful baby in your arms and look into his/her eyes.
Hehe and then a whole heap of new fears will arise

Good Luck with everything :) And I'll look forward to some baby pictures in about 7-8 months ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply