FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKindy - What do you think?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kindy - What do you think?
    Posted: 01 September 2008 at 9:16am
Ella started morning kindy at the beginning of this term.
Despite the sudden change (they weren't expecting to have room for her to move up until the end of this term or the beginning of next) and also losing her best friend who moved away suddenly with no chance to say goodbye, she has absolutely loved it.
She plays with lots of different children and is starting to talk to the teachers a lot more.
She gets very (understandably) tired though and the last few mornings has been saying to me that she doesn't want to go, when I go in to get her up in the mornings.
She says she will miss us and that she has a cold and doesn't want to make her friends sick with it.
She's not crying or upset, and generally comes around and is happy to go, if sometimes a little clingy when I go to leave her there.
She has a blast though and is full of stories about everything she's done, when we're walking home so I'm not worried about taking her or leaving her.
Today when I went to get her up she told me how she had a really snotty nose (she doesn't) and that she didn't think she should go, that she'd miss us and wanted to stay home. I decided to let her stay home and told her that I'd really enjoy having her home with us today.
I told her that it was just a special day off and that she could go to kindy with her friends for the rest of the week.
Do you think I've done the wrong thing? Its not like she was all upset or anything.
I guess I just feel like kindy shouldn't be a chore yet so I don't want to always be pushing her to go.
I know its not really a big deal but I'm wondering what others would do in this situation?
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Sponsored Links

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 9:18am
Oh, I should add that she has had quite a bit of time off with various bugs this winter, these last 3 weeks have been the longest continuous attendance she's had since the start of term!

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 9:26am
Maybe she's just tired, and needs the break today. It sounds to me like she's really enjoying her time there, and I think you telling her that today is a special day is a really good idea.

I'd take it one day at a time....just reinforce to her that this is the normal thing now, that she will be going in the mornings and that the afternoons will be a special time for the 3 of you until daddy gets home??

Oh and yes I think you did the right thing
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 2:51pm
i seccond what mel said.

sarah still says she has a cold and doesnt want to go to school as she doesnt want her friends to get sick so i think that is something all kids like to try out on the parents.
she sounds like shes having a great time tho

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 12:28pm
Thanks guys
She was so happy to stay home yesterday and we spent some good quality time together.
This morning she was raring to go to kindy and didn't drag her feet at all, so I think I made the right decision in being soft about it.
Thanks again for your replies!

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 1:32pm

I did that with Andrew on the odd days he didn't want to go to Kindy. It did good as he was so wanting to go the next day.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 7:31pm
Yeah I don't think it needs to be made into a big deal at this young. Is it a full-time kindy or can you cut back her hours a little? It seems that she enjoys kindy but just wants a bit more free time (at home etc).
 Post Reply Post Reply