FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReading level?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reading level?
    Posted: 24 September 2008 at 7:27pm
Can anyone with school-aged kids (or a teacher!) tell me what general age/level this kind of reading is?

The children walk home from the bus stop. They want to get home now. "Mum said that we must come home as the sun is going down," says Jane. "The sun is going down now," says Peter. "See how red it is. I like to see it like that." "So do I," says his sister.
"We must go for that walk again," says Peter. "I like to go by the farm and to see the horses and the farm dog." "Yes, and it's fun to see the little pigs run about up there," says Jane.
Then Peter says, "I can see our house. It will be good to get home."

Edited by busymum
Sponsored Links

AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 8:44pm
sorry can't help you but is tha one of those old (when i was at school LOL) Peter and jane books LOL
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 9:12pm
Hehe Yup!!! I totally love them so I hunted out a set of them for our family. The book set we have say 40th anniversary edition

Edited by busymum
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 5:52pm
I teach in senior primary/intermediate so can't really comment on what kind of level that would be, but reading age/level is more than just what they read out loud. It also takes into consideration how many errors they make while reading and how well they comprehend the text.

Does she go to a kindy? They'd be able to tell you.
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 9:27pm

I know when I go to my kids school parent teacher interviews they give an average of a eading age and a comprehensions age. This is tested bu giving the kids a book they have never read and having them read it, then asking simple questions about the story.If Hannah has read this book over a few times and its familier to her then chances are some words are memorised.

Great reading thought.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2008 at 7:21pm
I have no idea either, Maya was level 12 the last I heard, it goes up to level 15 then they start measuring it in years. She goes to the Year 2 class for reading to give you an idea of what age that is (6-7).She could read that passage, and probably understand it OK too but then she is a bit obsessed with reading.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2008 at 7:27pm
Hannah can read that quite easily, without us having ever read it to her before - although she is going through a series of books so it uses the same words over and over, adding little by little IYGWIM. She loves reading, a lot (like Maya, it seems!). She definitely understands the words she is reading, including making appropriate tonal inflections etc. I'm really proud of her. Now that she is at that stage she is almost teaching herself and will try anything - even the newspaper! But I'm also just a bit shocked LOL
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2008 at 7:40pm
That's about where paris is right now so probably about level 3 - 4. She's getting quicker and i have gone to whitcoulls where they sell the revised editions of the dick and Jane books for $3 each, we are stepping up what books we get from the library now too to ones that don't repeat the same things but actually have a story to them.

Well done Hannah!
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2008 at 8:37pm
Go Hannah!

LOL Maya is the same, reads street signs, newspapers, anything she can get her mitts on! She likes reading to the gremlins too (when they will sit still lol!), esp the Dr Seuss books.

The funny part is that they are learning about punctuation at school and so when she sees a "!" or a word in bold she shouts it lol!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2008 at 4:31pm
*sigh* i wish Caitlyn loved reading, she can do it fine, and actually reads it , doesnt just memorise the words, but she would much rather do numbers or draw....which is fine ....but ,,,who am i going to pass all my books on to ? I love my books !

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2008 at 5:51pm
Hannah likes drawing but not much writing yet - and therefore maths, only for the reason that she doesn't like writing the numbers. I think it'll probably come alright once she's another year older and the fine motor skills are a bit easier.

I guess that probably is one reason she's good at reading though, cause whenever she asks to do "something of school", maths is out, writing is out, so reading it is LOL
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2008 at 2:26pm
thats a bit more thann where sarah is shes level 4-5 at the mo.

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
 Post Reply Post Reply