FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhos got PND or PTSD?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 3:31pm
Thanks for sharing your story. How old is Isabella now? Totally understand how scary it is contemplating #2 after such as awful time, thats exactly how we feel.
We would love to have another baby, but everything is finally pretty ok now, and we are so scared of things getting bad again.
We have decided to think about ttc in Jan, but as that date approaches we are both still now sure if we will be ready then or not.
Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 8:20pm
It's such a horrible scarey thing.

I had it after having paris but never sought help out of being so darn scared that they'd take her away and that mike would think i was nuts (i think i wrote up a big speil about it in some part of this thread a while back) . we had a heap of probs after having ayja but i seemed ok, mike on the other hand got pretty depressed instead.
then of course along came surprise baby#3 pregnancy, only to find out at routine scan that it had died. i kept going for nearlya year - just jollying along with so many other things to keep going for, it wasn't until nearly the 1st anniversary that it all fell down around my ears. My doctor diagnosed that i was still probably actually suffering from PND brought back to life by the miscarriage, rolled up with anxiety issues and OCD as well. So have been on meds since March. I found it so so hard to accept at first that i needed these and was so scared that i would be like this forever. Mostly now am ok, just some certain times of the month tied up with hormones it's very easy for me to have the anxiety issues flare up and in those times i still have the thoughts of "oh my god, this is it for the rest of my life" hanging around.   I wish i had done something about it after having Paris, then maybe it wouldnt have snowballed to this point now, although i am glad now that i found it in myself to go and get help, that and my sister helped me hugely too by telling me i HAD to go to the doctor the very next day and do something about it, and she talked to Mike to make sure he knew and took me.     

There's plenty of us around, and yeah sometimes really i spose we should talk about it a bit more often, cos there's definately help in talking things through, but i think alot of us just try and get on with things and try to be as "normal" as we can too, I know for me, OB is kinda like my haven away from the reality of every-day life as well. I know though that when i do need it, I can come here and have people to talk to to help me get through.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 8:40pm
azza and Janine thanks for sharing your stories!

Azza: what a shame your family was a hindrance rather than a help! And yay for weaning off the anti-depressants. It took me two goes to wean myself off them (though the first time it was straight after my M/C so probably not the best timing!) Thats why I was a bit reluctant to go on them this time but considering how bad I was I figured anything that might help was worth it! So Im on them now (much to my mums displeasure!) How old is Isabella now?

Janine- first of all so sorry to hear about your baby that died! *phew* for your sister telling you to go to docs. with me it was my mw- she said got to the doc and go TODAY! have you ever done counseling or anything?

I'm actually the oppostie witht he TTC thing. I want to start now and have a baby again so I can give birth again and do it "right" this time- hidden away from nasty hospitals and doctors that took everything away from me...though I know this is very irrational as a) thats no reason to have a child and b) if I wasnt at the hospital I would have lost too much blood before getting to a doctor and would have died...but no need to worry cuz things aren't...ah...healed enough to have to worry!

(warning- a bit TMI) Had my last visit with MW today. Had to check my stitches which was scary. Things healed a bit, ah, tightly. Im so guttered cuz things being too tight was the root of all my problems during the birth...and pre-birth I had actually been looking forward to being well a loose goose lol. So the fact that that didn't go to plan either has left me a bit hopefully I dont have the same probs though else Charli-Rose will most def be an only child!

Kellz- January is still a wee while away...I so understand why you wouldn't wanna risk everything turning to sh** again though! I think its something you'd definitely need to think a lot about BEFORE getting pregnant again. I dont know how much you could help- but definitely having a LOT of support systems in place! And it may not come back. Reading Emma's story it didnt happen with her youngest baby so there is hope!

Well we've got a lady from plunket's post-natal adjustment programme coming again this week. Im a bit nervous but...I suppose it'll be alright. she just asks some pretty tough questions!

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3
MonicaMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonicaMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 9:13pm
Good luck for your next appointment. I found my 2nd appt with MMH a lot better, I knew what to expect, I wasn't so nervous about meeting her, I knew that she really wanted to help me, and the fact that I had taken some positive steps probably helped.

Speaking up, and sharing with others can be tough, but knowing that there are others out there 'just like you' can be reassuring.

Blair 15/10/2007
Daniel 30/07/2009

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 8:42pm
Hi guys, how is everyone doing lately?

I'm loosing it I don't know what to do! I'm already ON anti-depressants. But it's getting worse each day. I cry ALL the time and when I run out of tears I still feel like crying. I have no energy and have started avoiding people. I'm forcing myself to come on here. I figure its a bit easier than seeing 'real' people at least. I've started dreaming about the days I used to drink my sorrows away...not that I'm saying Im gonna go grab a vodka, but Ive been getting so desperate at nights I wonder if it'd be better to- at least so I can get some sleep.

I had someone from PNAP come out today but I couldn't even talk to her. I just wanted her to take Charli-Rose and go away. I don't understand though cuz I do love my baby, I'm sure I do. And sometimes I think she's so darn cute! But it's so hard. I really wanted to talk to the aldy but I just couldn't.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonicaMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 9:22pm
Aw hugs. Firstly how long have you been on the ADs?

The fact that you are willing to sit down and 'chat' to us, and you have put your hand up for help shows that you aren't loosing it. Speaking to someone in real life can be daunting, expecially if you don't know where to start.

Have you got a follow up appointment? I use to write things down about how I was feeling often before a visit to try and a) get my head around it, and b) to make sure I covered the things I really wanted to discuss.

Is there someone you trust who can give you a time-out - even if it's an hour to yourself to sleep, - either by taking Charli-Rose for a nice long walk, or looking after her for a bit? I know leaving bubs with someone else can be scary. I know I was lucky one afternoon DH just said ok you sleep, bubs and I are going for a walk.

I know I've asked a lot of questions, ok only 3, and I hope it doesn't seem like I'm being a nosey wench, just trying to help where I can, and hopefully offer some insight

Blair 15/10/2007
Daniel 30/07/2009

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 8:33pm
Monica thanks so much for teh idea about writing things down.Last time J came round (the PNAP lady) I was so tired and had no idea what I was gonna talk about so this time I've been writing things down.

Ive been on ADs for...hmm...7 weeks now. I think in some ways I am feeling better. Like I started doing a few things I used to enjoy. Nothing major, just a crossword at night before bed, but its a good sign. The other night I was looking at Charli-Rose while she was asleep and I thought "my god shes so cute I just wanna pick her up and snuggle her!" Ive NEVER had feeling like that about her before so thats a good sign too

theres things that are getting worse though. Maybe because it feels like this PND will never end. I got a bit drunk the other night. Ok yes it only happened once but Ive been thinking about it ever since...like how my head felt so fuzzy for a few hours and I could relax and had the best sleep...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonicaMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 9:19pm
I can't remember how long I took the AD's for before I started feeling 'really human'. Congrats for some great news - doing stuff you enjoy again - no matter how little it is is always a positive step, and as for your lovely comment re just wanting to pick up Charli-Rose and snuggle her.... AWWWW!

I know it can be scary thinking that you will feel like this forever, but if it's like the 'standard version of depression (unlike the supersize I ordered this time around lol) then I know that there is an end to this and I just have to give it time.

Blair 15/10/2007
Daniel 30/07/2009
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 10:33am
Aww hugs mummytobe!! I second the stuff that Monica said. And if you still feel like you aren't coping then maybe you should go back to your GP and let them know, and they may be able to increase your AD dose or something.

I've been meaning to come into this thread for a while and join the "I've got PND" group but every time I think about trying to write my story down I just feel exhausted, so I've been avoiding it. I will get around to it one day, I'm sure...

In short, I had a hard pregnancy and then an awful birth experience, trouble with breastfeeding and didn't bond with Chloe for the first 4-5 months... I cried all the time and I'm sure I had PND but just kept trying to cope on my own. I found out I was pregnant again when Chloe was about 6 months old (ish) and that's when I really fell apart and went to see the Dr, who put me on AD's and got me some support. I'm feeling a whole lot better now... still have off days of course, but coping in general

I hope you are feeling better today, mummytobe!
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 3:02pm
Thanks Monica. My mother had vaginal births and I dont think she quite got the seriousness of the operation. She was also so focussed on her dislike of my partner that I dont think she could think reasonably about anything.

Hindsight really is 20/20. Looking back now there are so many things I would have done differently.
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Kellz Kellz wrote:

Thanks for sharing your story. How old is Isabella now? Totally understand how scary it is contemplating #2 after such as awful time, thats exactly how we feel.
We would love to have another baby, but everything is finally pretty ok now, and we are so scared of things getting bad again.
We have decided to think about ttc in Jan, but as that date approaches we are both still now sure if we will be ready then or not.

Isabella is 21 months now
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by mummytobesep08 mummytobesep08 wrote:

Hi guys, how is everyone doing lately?

I'm loosing it I don't know what to do! I'm already ON anti-depressants. But it's getting worse each day. I cry ALL the time and when I run out of tears I still feel like crying. I have no energy and have started avoiding people. I'm forcing myself to come on here. I figure its a bit easier than seeing 'real' people at least. I've started dreaming about the days I used to drink my sorrows away...not that I'm saying Im gonna go grab a vodka, but Ive been getting so desperate at nights I wonder if it'd be better to- at least so I can get some sleep.

I had someone from PNAP come out today but I couldn't even talk to her. I just wanted her to take Charli-Rose and go away. I don't understand though cuz I do love my baby, I'm sure I do. And sometimes I think she's so darn cute! But it's so hard. I really wanted to talk to the aldy but I just couldn't.

You need some support! Is there anyone who can come and just look after her for an hour so you can have some quiet time?

Your doc might also want to look at your meds and consider a different type? The ones I was on first were useless, they only got it right second time round.
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 9:46pm
big hugs mummytobesep08!!!

Hi Ladies, don't really have the concentration span to read all the stories so far but i'm Chonny & i hvae just been diagnosed with PND. i have been struggling a lot lately & talked to GP today who has given me script for Anti D's & is referring me to the South Auckland Maternal Mental Health place.

So, i really not sure what happening i guess. i had depression as a teen ager & again about 6mth after getting married, Both times ended up on pills. Got REALLY depresse dduring my preggy due to marriage probs but not on pills. Never got PND with my DS1 & was ready for it. Not sure what to do i guess at this stage. i hvae a 2yo who drives me nutty most the time at the moment & a 6week old who is great. I really love my boys & wouldn't exchange them for anything, but right now i would deffinately change my 2yo....

Sorry for long post, just wanted to introduce myself & find others in a similar position. I have been worried for a whil ei was getting like this & try to call my mum everyday to check in with her but every time i tell her how i feel she always says it's just tiredness.... it's nice to know now i'm not just tired, altho that wont help, it's not all thats happening. anyways, it's nice to know there something that may help, or that i have at least sought some extra help

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 11:48am
chonny, azza, littlebug, monica, kellz...thanks heaps for posting!

Chonny sorry to hear about your tough time. Good on ya for seeing your GP! Hopefully the ADs will help soon. What one are you on? (if you dont mind me asking!)

littlebug sorry to hear about your story too! how long did it take til you were feeling better?

Well Ive figured some stuff out. Like why Im all confused about whether I have PND or not (yes I keep changing my mind!). See when Ive had depression before (once treated with ADs, once not), its been really bad...the "I wish someone would just kill me, Id do it myself but I have no energy" type. So that fact Im not actually suicidal makes me think im not depressed...if that makes sense. I told this to DH last night. I said I cant be depressed cuz i dotn want to die, Ive just lost my passion for life and am miserable and angry and so dam tired all the time and just not me. SO I dunno, maybe its PND but not as bad as my depression before?

It sounds a bit silly though...considering Ive had my MW, the PNAP lady, plunket, a social worker AND my GP all say Ive got a lovely mix of PTSD and PND...and I still cant decide...

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 12:04pm
mummytobesep08, i'm the same, every other time i have had depression i've just wanted to die etc. even when i had PTSD i was the same, altho that time i over worked myself so majorly it wasn't funny. like.... 6 jobs working 100+ hours a week type thing

Dr has given me a script for Aropax.... haven't filled it yet & not sure if i wanna.... kinda weary bout taking the pills also i feel heaps better today.... but thats how it goes aye? one day can be bad then the next be ok but keeps going in that cycle type thing. I don't know! anyone on AD's & breastfeeding?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 1:11pm
im breastfeeding with ADs...not the same one as you though. Mine, Fluox, does go into the breastmilk a fair bit but 'they' think its not a prob. I found lots of useful infor on this website, Ill get the link for you:

http://www.mothersmatter.co.nz/Medications/Antidepressants/

And heres some on your meds...looks like the best one to be on!

* Paroxetine is considered the safest SSRI in breastfeeding.
    * Infant blood levels are undetectable or less than 3% of maternal level and no adverse events have been reported in the about 100 infants studied (11) (12).
    * One study found greater Paroxetine concentration in later portions of breast milk (hind milk) than in early portions (fore milk) (13).

I think you gotta remember too that it takes awhile to kick in...maybe try it and see?

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 1:31pm
I think maybe having depression when u have a baby makes u somehow keep going,...like u cant literally do nothing cos u have a baby to care for.
I didnt think I was depressed either,..I put it down to Isla being sick and me being so tired and stressed- it was ages before I finally agreed with everyone else that I was deprssed,...after it got REALLY bad.

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 1:37pm
thanks, yes i think i will fill the script & take it at least till after chrsitmas, you never know, it may help to get thru all that. I was on fluox previously. GP rung the south auckland mental health place & they recommended Aropax as being the best for breastfeeding. my gp did say it was only liek 3% that goes through to him anyways....

Kellz, my mum keeps putting it down to tired & stressed due to being tired. even today after telling her yesterday bout what gp said, she still tried to tell me it was just being tired. I agree with you totally, with kids you HAVE to keep going. i tried to explain to mum that today is a good day, but then there are bad days which are REALLY bad. oh but everyone gets them too she says, i said yes, but my bad days now are worse than they used to be. she has never had depression or at least never diagnosed it & because i'm not nearly as bad as a friend of hers who had the REALLY bad PND then she doesn't think i have it. quite funny how different people react huh.

Kellz, Isabella is 3 days short of a year older than David i just noticed her birth date :)

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 1:42pm
Just thought of something else- you guys were saying that the way u feel now was diff to when u had depression before having baby - well I havent had depression before, but maybe its like with everything in your life,..nothing feels the same after having a kid as i did before. I used to love to do adventure type stuff, like scary rides, rock climbing etc,...but now wouldnt consider it,..I want to,..but there is something in me that stops me,....I hope this makes any sense,...but I guess there is somethjing tha makes u strive on and keeps u in survival mode when your a mother.

But depression is a scary disease,..it can totally warp your thinking,....I managed to totally believe that Isla would be so much better off without me,..in the end I beleived I was punishing her by being her mother, and making her suffer and I needed to let her be free of me and she could be happy,...when people told me this wasnt tru I really could not see how it wasnt tru. Of course I can see that now,..but it took a long time and a lot of therapy and meds etc to come right.

I guess my point is- if professionals are telling you that u are not right and u need help and meds etc,..LISTEN,..for your sake and the sake of your children.

That probably sounds relaly harsh,...but I didnt listen,..I let things go too far,......it was very very close to being too late,....and nowe Im just so lucky and forever grateful that I got given a second chance.

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 1:58pm
You mean 2 yrs older!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>