FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedApplying for a job

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applying for a job
    Posted: 23 November 2008 at 2:51pm
I was wonering how much I should disclose about my pnd/ptsd/anxiety to a potenial future employer?

The applications have a sentence something like ;

Do u currently/have u ever suffered illness/injury/or health related problems that could affect your ability to carry out the position for which u are applying for?

Im still recovering, and do still have some low confidence and anxiety issues at times. I do think Im up to the job tho, and so does my phycologist. I dont want the person to read what I have written and right me off before meeting me cos they think I sound like a fruit loop!

TIA!

Sponsored Links

MonicaMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonicaMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2008 at 3:50pm
Its a toughie. We asked a similar question when recruiting people, and it was more we could work with them if they were the successful candidate. If I had interviewed someone and they said everything was ok, they were hired and less than 2 weeks later needed time off because of said 'problem' I would be annoyed because info hadn't been disclosed, and be double checking our old houserules re disclosure - or falsifying of information relating to obtaining information - especially seeing notes were taken during interview processess.

If it was me I would mention it, but phrase things positively, stress that this is something that you are recovering from - and if you think that obtaining this position will aide you then write that as well

Good luck

Blair 15/10/2007
Daniel 30/07/2009
choco69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choco69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2008 at 4:11pm
i have had issues with PTSD/Depression most of my life ... i have always disclosed it, has not been a problem at employment for me

it is a personal choice if you decide to disclose it however if you don't then it can make for a sticky employment situation if you need time off due to a relapse (cos effectively you falsely completed the application forms) ... i agree with Monica, declare it in a positive way, something you have experienced and you are now on your way to a full recovery and have support in place to assist you

i am sure your therapist will be able to come up with a number of techniques to help you cope wonderfully at work

good luck with the job hunting
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2008 at 4:35pm
Thanks guys. Yeah I know I have to say something, but yeah I guess I will have to figure out a way to make it sound ok.
mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2008 at 9:05pm
if you dont mind me asking- what kind of job is it? Cuz the question asks whether it will effect your work. So if you worked, say with children or a really 'giving' job like that, then yes it probably would. But say working in a supermarket I think you'd be alright as your mood wouldnt matter as much. do you need Mental Health days? I know it sounds sill ybut Im serious...you know those days when you just cant get out of bed or face the world- that would stop you going to work?

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 9:26am
No I no longer have those days, but I can still get overly anxious and emotional at times when things are going not as planned. my jon is a 'giving' job, but like I said my phycologist cleared me to trturn to this job months ago, but it has taken a lot longer for me to feel reagy. Im sure I can do it, which is a hige this for me, to have the confidence to feel like I can do something. I just need to use the right wording to explain that this is where I am now at in my recovery.
I will only be doing 2 days, and will only do it if I can get 2 set days.shifts per week.
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 1:26pm
I guess the question that is being asked is will it affect your ability to carry out the job you are applying for. If you are unsure I would probably put down something simple like 'have had PND in the past but this is unlikely to impact on this position'. That way you have covered yourself.

Most employers are aware that parents of very young children have a big transition to go back to work anyway so if they hire you they will expect you to have bad days or need time off.
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 8:07pm
When I have interviewed, a number of potential employees have disclosed depression. For me, it's definitely NOT a write off, but I do want to know if there are particular stressors, if there are strategies the person has in place etc. I work in health (I have a feeling you're a nurse?) and I would hope that most health employers would be pretty understanding about PND.
Mum to two wee boys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 8:07pm
what did you decide to do kellz?

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 8:33pm
Yep Im a nurse. There was a jonin the paper on sat saying they have flexible working hrs and looking for part and full-time nurses. I spoke to the charge nurse and she said yep they could give me sun and mon am shifts each week which is awesome.

I will write something about having had pnd in the application forms- there is one q that asks something like 'have u had any medical condition/injury that may be agivated or contributed to by the tasks of the job? ' - will prob write something in reply to this question. There is another q thats asks 'do you have any problems that WILL affect your ability to perform the duties,....?'
I dont think it WILL affect my performance, but it could- so I think I will put it to answer the first q

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 8:47pm
that sounds like a good way of doing it. cuz you dont know that it WILL and it probably wont...but it could be aggravated- which is what the 1st q said. yay heres hoping you get the job!

jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 6:03pm
I think they'll be quite supportive of you if you do need it. Larger organisations tend to have better systems and processes in place and are often very proactive when it comes to being family friendly, supportive of disabilities, embrassing cultural diversity etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply