FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedProlonged labour and PTSD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prolonged labour and PTSD
    Posted: 24 November 2008 at 2:06pm
I'd like to know if there are any other mum's out there that had a prolonged labour (mine was 211hours) and had to deal with not being able to bond well, as after the emergency c-section I didn't get to hold baby or breastfeed before she was flown to wellington's FANTASTIC NeoNatal unit without me. There were a number of complications with her lungs - infantile respitory distress syndrome and a massive infection from all the inhaled meconium as her bowels had been functioning during labour. the paediatrician said she was about 2 weeks overdue, i had asked for ultrasonds and told i didnt need them, i said i was in labour and was told that as she hadn't descended it was only pre-labour (she couldnt descend as my pelvis was too small to allow her head through at the angle she had got herself in to). I feel that what should have been a beautiful experiance left me feeling like i was a terrible woman as i should have been fighting harder for what my body was telling me, i should have been able to hold the child i gave birth to in the delivery room.
it was 2days before i got to hold my daughter (IV, tummy tube, monitors and all), and a week before i was able to demand BF. She's beautiful and healthy now, i'm succesfully BFing 4months later, but will NEVER have another child as my first birth experiance has left me feeling very ripped off and a bit of a failure on the whole "natural" birth front.

Edited by Flutterby
Sponsored Links

mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 4:23pm
hey hun youre def not alone!

I had a horror induction lasting days and days and it all came to a dramatic climax when bubs was whisked out using forceps and i tore through two arteries and almost died from blood loss. drama drama drama! I didnt see my baby be born and no-one even brought her to me for hours. It was 4 days before I could pick her up myself and 3 weeks before I was strong enough to stand up long enough to bath her or change her nappies. Even now 8 weeks on I'm still struggling every single feed to BFeed her and I'm still not strong enough to go for a walk or be at home with bubs by myself for more than a few hours.
I have PTSD and later developed PND too.

I wont have children again either. I cant even handle flashbacks of my birth let alone going through it again. I have flashbacks and panic attacks daily. I cant sleep well as I freak out that someone is gonna come in and take my baby away (again as they did continuously in the hospital). Now I love my baby lots but dont feel as bonded as I could. I was robbed of all the firsts; first cuddle, first feed, first bath, first smile...everything.

How are you coping now? Have you thought about concelling? Everyone seems to recommend it with PTSD as its important to work through it. otherwise yea theyll def be no future kids for you!
(((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 4:32pm
I also had PTSD after Isla's birth, and really benifited from counselling from a phycologist. I can now cope with hearing/reading about others births, I dont have as many panick/anxiety attacks and all, and Im now doing well.

We decided not to decide about future children. That took that pressure of to focus of the child we do have. We are now at the point were we are thinking of ttc #2 sometime next year. DH is also pretty traumatised by my birth experience and we will both need a lot of extra support when we do decide to have #2.

Check out the tabs website (trauma and birth stress).
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 7:31pm
Hi
I had a terrible first birth. After 51hrs of labour my baby boy was born via emergency c-sec. Because of my huge ordeal I developed PTSD & PND. Councilling helped enormously & I have since braved another pregnancy & elective c-sec with minimal dramas
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

Post Reply Post Reply