FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNatural Birth control methods??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_Soda_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Soda_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural Birth control methods??
    Posted: 14 March 2009 at 9:24pm
Hi all
Im coming off the pill at the end of this packet (YAY!) but DH and i aren't quite ready do go down the ttc path just yet and want to try natural family planning for a few months to AVOID pregnancy and get to know my body, cycles etc.. anyone done this? if so, what did you do? and was it effective? (like you didnt have an oopsie when you werent ttc iykwim? )
Thanks!
My little miracle 6/1/2011
My angel in Heaven 9/5/14
Sponsored Links

GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 8:56am
Hiya, you need to know when you ovulate. I have clockwork 28 day cycles and know from cm the window in which I ovulate, so when to avoid sex. You probably won't know this from coming off the pill so I would recommend temping for a few months to track your cycles. The problem is you won't know for sure until you start to develop a definite pattern. If you REALLY want to avoid getting preg, would be best to use condoms until you get more in tune with your cycles.
_Soda_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Soda_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 12:31pm
yeah think ill be doing that for a couple of months to make sure i know what im doing lol. not that an early oopsie would be a bad thing necessarily hehe but spose i should be good and try to stick to our plan lol.

thanks!
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:38pm
*waves* I Sally, nice to see you around hun.

Toni I agree with Sally. You will need to know when you ovulate. Coming off the pill for the first couple of months can be all over the place. For example, my first cycle was only 18 days before AF started again. And I dont think I ov'ed during that time. Anyways, temping is probably the clearest way of knowing, but also monitoring your CM will help. Haivng said that, not all woman get EWCM.

To be safe if you want to stick to a plan I'd use condoms in the mean time until your get an idea or pattern of your cycles.
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
ooEvaoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooEvaoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 12:13pm
Yup definitely know when it's your fertile time....for me, judging from CM this can last a couple weeks!!.....so I go by the rule of BDing during the week after AF, the week leading into AF...and any time I feel that I'm "safe". Has worked since having Kahtrell...then again I try to avoid it...much to DP's horror!!...but I'm trying to work on it lol.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 1:12pm
hmmmmm  ooEVAoo.  I tried that idea.  Was sure my AF was due any day....now I have James.
_Soda_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Soda_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 8:10pm
lol oh dear! maybe ill just use condoms hehe.
man i wish i could just start TTC as soon as i come off the pill and take the risk...either that or just stay on the pill till were totlaly ready to TTC..but i know so many people who have taken a good few months to come right afte tthe pill (i know those who get pg 1st month off too tho but far less than those who have had to wait for their bodies to go back to normal..) dont know if i want to risk it when the time comes we really want to ttc, finding nothing happening for months coz of the pill....i guess its a case of deciding whats more important for us...staying on the pill and taking the risk of waiting longer than if we come off early? or coming off early and taking the risk of an oopsie... hmmmm....decisions decisions...
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 8:25pm
Well nothing is 100% but if you use condoms you have a lot less risk! Why don't you want to get preg straight away?

Btw hiya rianna!
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 10:09pm
One of my friends used to use the 'natural method and she pretty much said the 2 middle weeks were the off limit weeks, I guess that covers if you ovulate early or late. So 2 weeks on [BD yes(day 22-7)], 2 weeks off [BD no(day 8-21)]. If you temp you could probably at least trim back the later days though I'd wait till you got definite lines   

Or if 2 weeks of no BD in a row is a bit much I guess that's the time when you'd use condoms and the other 2 weeks it's safe not to.
_Soda_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Soda_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 8:14pm
yeah i was thinking of doing it like that- 2 weeks on 2 weeks off lol. tho i dont know that DH would be too happy with 2 weeks without lol!so condoms might be the option for then..
Sal the reason i dont want to get pg straight away is coz were not quite ready for it yet, $$$ wise, but in a few months itll be ideal for us. alse because DH is posted where we are now for another year and id like to be still pg or only just had bubs by the time we are posted back to auckland so i can work for as long in blenheim as i can. of course if something happened earlier than planned well make it work tho and i wouldnt be unhappy in the slightest
thanks for your advice guys! im sure once im off the pill itll be more obvious to be as to what to do lol. i hope so anyway!
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 12:07am
Abstinence has been working so far!! I've actually been to pre-occupied to be doing any bding.

Sorry that probably doesn't help, but temping can be used to determine when you ovulate and thus avoid any activity around this time.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 10:36am
I would use condoms aswell for sure, my friend got pregnant the first month of coming off the pill she is due in a week lol.

This baby was a oopsie aswell, we BD out of my fertile time and only did it once and I got pregnant! lol Couldnt be happier though

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 11:13am
C's stepmum and dad used the natural method, they are now 6 months pregnant with number three , seems she ovulated earlier than she thought or something .
And now , because it wasn't planned , and because 2 scans have shown its another boy , she complains all the frigging time . (sorry , an offtopic vent there )

_Soda_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Soda_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 6:03pm
lol oh no caitlynsmygirl! thats so sad they are complaining
yeah...from what youve all said ill definitely use other protection for the first month- probably two months,till i really know what im doing..think ill chart etc in the meantime to get to know everything well.. then well only be a couple of months off TTC so if something happens itll be ok anyway
thanks guys!
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 5:38pm
You should go to FF & start charting now then when you are ready to ttc you will have a good idea of how your cycle works, some of us have been trying for months to get pg.

Use condoms on your OV days to avoid getting pg now
SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 10:30am
Lydia is a NFP baby - we decided that we didn't want me on the Pill forever, I'd been on for 5 years and we decided to give my body a break. I bought a fertility computer (LadyComp), and it was marvelous for 11 months. I learned so much about my body, and my cycles were regularly 33-35 days long. Then month 12 came along, I had my first EVER (including all teenage years) 28 day cycle, therefore ovulated almost a week early, and now we have baby.

I settled into normal cycles as soon as coming off the pill, but I know that doesn't happen for everyone. I would recommend using condoms for a couple of cycles to see what your body is doing, using FF to chart etc to help figure out when you ovulate.

It is totally empowering knowing your body, but if you want to NOT start TTC for a little while, condoms are the way to go until you figure things out.

All the best.
 Post Reply Post Reply