FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWon’t put food in her mouth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
otter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won’t put food in her mouth
    Posted: 14 September 2009 at 8:08pm
Hi Everyone, Just wondering if anyone has had problems with their baby's not putting food (or much else) in their mouths? Chloe is now 9 and a half months and still won't put her hand to her mouth and feed herself. I give her toast and she will just swap it from hand to hand looking at it, and then drop it.
If I hold it for her, she'll lean forward, open her mouth and bite at it, but that's all. Most people I talk to say it's very odd, but the only advice I've got it to keep trying. I gave her a spoon tonight and she held it and put it in and out of the food but there was no attempt to get it to her mouth. She even managed to get the spoon into my mouth. She's picking small things up with her fingers too. She actually resists me if I try to help her get her own food to her mouth with her hand. Has anyone else come across this?? Help
Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 8:24pm
No I haven't but my initial reaction was just to keep trying and she will get it in the end. Sounds like she is doing all the right things with swapping hands and practising the pincer grip.
Does she let you feed her? if so then I say don't worry about this bit, just let her play with the food and one day she will get the idea, it just sounds to me like she is having too much fun investigating it in other ways to think about eating it.
Have you tried giving her something really mushy to play with her hands? like a mushed up banana or something, that way she might have it all stuck to her hands and put in her mouth and then make the connection.

But honestly if she is eating for you then I really wouldn't worry about her doing it herself.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 1:01pm
have you spoken to plunket or your doc about it... ? and has she never tried to put paint or play dough or anything in her mouth?

otter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 5:16pm
Hi guys, Yep, I talked to the Plunket nurse, she just said give her lots of different foods to pick up and play with, the more colourful and interesting the better. Yesterday I gave her custard, she painted the entire high chair with it ,and eventually the floor, but didn't get it near her own mouth.
She lets me feed her no problem, she eats a lot actually, so I'm not worried that she's not getting enough. I haven't been worried enough to go to the Doc about it, I was just curious to see if anyone else had the same issue, and what eventually fixed it. I'll keep trying of course and hopefully it'll fix itself. Any ideas though are always welcome! Thanks for the support

PS: I'll try banana tomorrow!
 Post Reply Post Reply