FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVBAC - ending up in a C section?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chickaboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VBAC - ending up in a C section?
    Posted: 01 October 2009 at 9:13pm
I am just curiuos of those who tried for a Vbac and ended up having to have an emergency section (due to uterus scar splitting)

Question: did you have to have a general or were you able to have a spinal?

I am hoping to have a VBAC but scared i will end up having a general if it doesn;t work out.

Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 9:28pm
I'm not sure you will find anyone who has had a scar rupture, it is extremely rare. I was told by our OB that they hadn't ever had one at CWH. (made me think maybe they were due one!)

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 9:28pm
I'm not in this camp, and hopefully won't be, cos I want a VBAC next time, but I just wanted to say when a mum ends up having to have a c-section when she's been trying for a VBAC, it's very rarely due to uterine rupture (the risk is 1 in 5000) but is far more likely to be failure to progress. So please don't have in your head that it's probable!

There are lots of great VBAC resources here

edited to add a zero!

Edited by weegee

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 9:28pm
snap cuppatea!

ETA:
Originally posted by Nicette Jukelevics, MA, ICCE, published in Mothering, Issue 123 Nicette Jukelevics, MA, ICCE, published in Mothering, Issue 123 wrote:

Experts state that any laboring woman faces unpredictable complications - such as umbilical cord prolapse, acute fetal distress, or hemorrhage from a placental abruption - that might require an emergency cesarean. The odds of these complications are 2.7 percent, or 30 times higher than the risk of a uterine rupture with one prior low-horizontal uterine scar.

Edited by weegee

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 11:20pm
my VBAC ended up in an emergency c/s but that was because charli would come down and then pop up again and her heartrate was all over the place.

i've blamed myself for years over this because i was too scared to push in case my scar ruptured. then it started to 'burn/sting' with each push and that really freaked me out!!

it is very rare for a rupture to happen. stay positive hun

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2009 at 2:19pm
all my mw said was you aren't allowed to push for long because of the risk but i guess OB will tell me more.. i still worry a bit about it but yes i have been assured it's rare.. but I'm still prob going for c..not sure though//
Mum to two amazing boys!
Cheeky Baby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheeky Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 9:28pm
Hi Chickaboo, I'm 27 weeks pregnant with B2, first bub was an emergency c-section due to failure to progress and fetal distress. Also hoping for a VBAC this time round but will be happy to just have a happy healthy baby arrive no matter how it arrives! MW told me that I have to see the Ob before 36 weeks to discuss all the possible complications, so that is reassuring, do you have to do the same? There is also a video/book package called the pink kit (very hippyish) but has great information for positions to help 'open' everything up in labour to help get bubs out so maybe see if you can get a copy from your midwife. Its a funny video, I just about wet myself, but the info is really helpful. I have a great midwife this time round and we are really working together on my fears for this birth, and really looking at all the positive and practical things you can do to help. Try and get your midwife to share some positive info, and think positive. They wouldn't let us try for a VBAC if they didn't think we could do it! Stay positive Hope all goes well!
Chickaboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 9:41pm
Thanks for all your advise and support -

I have had 2 natural births before C section due to breeched baby. I know my body can do it I just worried the uterus scar woud rupture but glad its very rare

I have already had a meeting with my ob cheeky baby so have discussed options - they are happy for me to VBAC but there are risks invovled (as stated) I also have a history of having big babies (9lb 5, 8lb 6 and 9lb 4) and also high risk for GD (had it last time).

Heres hoping all will go well though and my fears are just that - oh and it will not stop me from pushing and trying my hardest as I want this baby out LOL

LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 10:10am

Originally posted by Four_eyes Four_eyes wrote:

all my mw said was you aren't allowed to push for long because of the risk but i guess OB will tell me more.. i still worry a bit about it but yes i have been assured it's rare.. but I'm still prob going for c..not sure though//

I pushed for nearly 3 hrs with Joel, ended with forceps delivery as he wasn't moving, had lots of stiches but still got my VBAC. Had no problems with scar during delivery at all. 10 days before I had a sharp stabbing pain along the scar so was admitted for observation and was in early labour which stopped on its own.

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 10:50am
i pushed for just over 2hrs with charli, had forceps and vonteuse but neither worked, most likely cos she had her head flexed....silly girl, she never looks where she's going!

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 12:09pm
leahandjoel- ah ok.... that's just what she told me..i actually dont mind whether i have another c -section or not so I guess time and circumstances will tell:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 6:59pm
I had been pushing for 2 hours when they decided to do the vontouse (well they did ask me, but I was just telling them to get the fricken thing out of me!!!!) I was in an incredible amount of pain between contractions but it was nothing to do with my scar, was the position he had got into, meant that his shoulder (I think it was shoulder) was digging into me. Mw had OB come and check me though just in case it was scar and that's when they decided to do vontouse, otherwise the mw reckons given another 30-60 mins I could have pushed him out myself. So it must depend on what else is going on as to how long they let you push for. I also laboured for 14 hours when they OB we saw at 36 weeks had said they don't let you go longer than 12. So I think a lot depends on your own mw and then on whichever OB happens to be working when you are actually in labour.

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2009 at 1:03pm
cuppatea was that 14 hours from when you arrived at the hospital??? Did that included the 2 hours pushing?

Just curious

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2009 at 1:36pm
14 hours all up. Labour started 3pm (just as Oprah finished..lol) and then he was born at 4.44am. I arrived at the hospital at 8pm and was 3 stinking centimetres, I laboured till 11pm, then asked for an epidural cos the gas was doing jack, didn't get my epi till midnight and then mw checked me again and i was 4 stinking cm. Then a couple of hours later the epi was wearing off and I told her I needed to poo so she checked me (normally they check 4 hourly once the epi is in) and I was 10cm and he was all in the right position to come out so started pushing and she didn't top the epi up She said no more epi for me
I was pushing for 2 hours when the mw got the OB to check me, so was probably another 30 mins after that that he was born. They would have let me carry on pushing if I hadn't have been in pain between the contractions, cos he was quite happy and I was doing a good job at pushing but just couldn't cope with the pain in between, that was actually worse than the contractions. One push with the help of the vontouse and out popped his head, then I pushed the rest of him out. Mw reckoned if they hadn't intervened I would have pushed for 3 hours, unless he went into distress of course.

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 11:58am
I didn't manage the VBAC & ended up with an emergency c-section after 9 hours of labour. I had an epidural & was awake for the whole thing.
Scar rupture is very rare. And hard to believe but it is slightly more common in women who are having their first baby & never had a c-section at all.

I did manage my VBA2Cs though! Awesome experience & will be repeating it with baby #4
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 1:23pm

My labour with Joel was 10 hours start to finish and I was fully dialated after 7 hours. He was early and I wasn't engaged at all so thats why it took so long to push. Also I had to stay on the bed for close monitoring the whole time as I had been admitted with complications 10 days before he was born so if I had been able to stand and move around I probably wouldn't have had to push for so long either.

Chickaboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 11:04pm
Good to see these positive VBAC stories - i really don't want to op for ceasar but as I always say if I have to in the end its whats best to get baby out safely

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 10:21am
Yeah as others have said, chances of rupture is actually very low, almost seems like it's used as a scare tactic just to go for a c-section to be honest. I was really surprised when I found out the actual stats.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 10:35am
Paws the way the OB explained it to me was that they have to tell you the worse case scenario because if they didn't and it happened you could imagine the fall out from that. Suppose it is not much different to them telling you you can get a blood clot and die from having the surgery It's not likely but they still have to inform you

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 11:38am
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

Paws the way the OB explained it to me was that they have to tell you the worse case scenario because if they didn't and it happened you could imagine the fall out from that. Suppose it is not much different to them telling you you can get a blood clot and die from having the surgery It's not likely but they still have to inform you

Oh yeah I totally get that part....it's the people (non-professionals i should clarify) who look horrified when you say you want a VBAC and promptly tell you how you are going to rupture and die and horrible bloody death on the labour bed. or at least be lucky to escape with your life. You'd be surprised how many people said it to me when i said I'm trying for a VBAC.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>