FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLatching issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Acetyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latching issues
    Posted: 13 November 2009 at 4:31am
Has anyone had problems with breastfeeding after 3 months? I'm feeling very disheartened and incompetent. It took me quite a number of weeks to establish breastfeeding in the early days and was ready to give up a number of times (cracked and bleeding nipples etc). I'm pleased I persevered but now, a month later, my nipples are hurting again.

I've been to a support group and was told that my baby wasn't opening his mouth big enough. He has an excellent big mouth and seems to latch on alright but after a couple of minutes he slips onto my nipple. I take him off and he won't go back on. As a result his weight gain is poor. I don't want to give up but I hate that he's not gaining well anymore. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep him latching properly?
Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 7:19am
I am sorry I can' help but wanted to offer a . A friend has a baby about 3wks old and she is having the same problem. I don't know but maybe he satisfies his thirst/hunger initially and then after that he gets a little lazy with feeding. I am definately no expert but gould you just feed him more often for these shorter times (a pain I know), or could it be your let down is too fast or slow for him? If you fed him for this short time then changed his nappy, played etc and then offered again, or offered several times before he went back for his next nap would that work?

The only other things I can suggest is either contacting La Leche League or a lactation conultant, I know there is one at our local hospital so maybe yours is the same.
Or could there be something wrong i.e. something in his back/neck etc is out and cranial osteopathy will work?

I hope I have at least given you a few ideas rather than raising more quesions. You have done a wonderful job sticking at it for this long.
Lindsey

Acetyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 8:22am
Thank you for your suggestions Lindsey. My let down use to be fast but I think it has slowed during the last two weeks. I feel that my supply has decreased too. Also, he has only pooed 3 times in the last fortnight.

I have tried offering several times after a nappy change, and after playtime and occassionally he will feed again. I will try and feed him more frequently, hopefully that will increase my milk production too. I might even get his neck/back checked out.

Thanks again.      
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:40am
Hi Acetyr.
Really important that Bubs gets a big mouthful when first latched, you shouldn't be able to see much of the areola when he is on. Also when you look down Bubs mouth should be nice and wide. Try to keep him like that by keeping him tucked in closely to your own body so it is harder for him to pull his head back & let the nipple slide.

If still no luck then maybe try nipple shields? iI will help your nipples & he will get fed.

Well done on perserving, it can be really hard to get sorted but once you click with your latch it gets much much easier I promise. Latching correctly is the big key to breastfeeding
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 2:37pm
I had this problem with Isabella and it turned out that the reason my nipples were sore and she wasnt latching well was because we both had thrush.

If you look in his mouth can you see white patches and does his tounge have a white coating? They get a white coating after a feed, but they shouldnt have much of a coating before a feed.

Thrush is sore for a baby, so thats why they dont latch well, and it also can make your nipples very ouchy, mine were all pink on the ends are very tender.
We used a oral thrush gel for Isabella's mouth and I put micreme on my nipples.

Your Dr can perscribe them

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 9:55pm
Acetry, can you possibly see a lactation consultant?? Have you got some lanisoh to rub on your nipples, it really does help & sit & sun them will help as well. Can you try & adjust your hold, try a rugby hold until you guys can gel again. Also try a pillow on your knee to get him higher. Also have you checked to see if he has a partial tongue tie? that won't help with his latching.

toniellis, please don't say that you shouldn't see much of the areola with most being in the babies mouth. Some women have big areola & have no hope in hell of getting the whole lot in babies mouth. This is where I really struggled from misinformation with BFing, I had to figure myself as long as the latch is comfortable & they are not on the nipple & the right sucking is happening, then it is all good.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Acetyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:05pm
I have considered thrush and checked his tongue and he doesn't have white patches or a white coating. Thanks Sheza, for the suggestion anyway.

I really do think we've forgotten how to latch on properly. How can that happen? Today I have been trying to make sure bubs "gets a big mouthful" and I think this is helping. Thanks toni.

Thanks everyone for your advice and kind words. It's really nice to know there are people who care.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:09pm
i thought possibly thrush too... at 3 months old the way they breastfeed has changed a bit. one of mine always felt like it was nipple feeding and it turned out ok... maybe you could see what happens if you dont readjust and see how it feels for both of you... agree about the areola thing too - no way in hell all of mine would fit in any babies mouth! lol!     

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Aliasmum Aliasmum wrote:

toniellis, please don't say that you shouldn't see much of the areola with most being in the babies mouth. Some women have big areola & have no hope in hell of getting the whole lot in babies mouth. This is where I really struggled from misinformation with BFing, I had to figure myself as long as the latch is comfortable & they are not on the nipple & the right sucking is happening, then it is all good.

Sorry Aliasmum, I guess I should be more clear. I thought I said that you shouldn't be able to see much of it, not that it should be mostly in Bubs mouth. I have large aureola myself. To stimulate milk flow Bubs does have to latched right though and I was trying to help as I am looking at becoming a lactation consultant myself.

Maybe not

Edited by toniellis

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
Acetyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 11:29am
Thanks Aliasmum. Bubs actually did have a tongue tie. I was reluctant to get the tie snipped as I felt bubs was doing everything right (he was). I was still having difficulty BFing after 6 weeks so we got his tie snipped and it didn't make any difference.

I have been trying to adjust my hold like you suggested.

toniellis, I found your advice very helpful and do think I have to get more into bubs mouth. Don't give up on becoming a lactation consultant, you've helped me already!

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 12:50pm
I don't really know much about tounge tie but could he have formed a habit of feeding a certain way before it was snipped and then just carried on that habit?
I have just noticed that your Ben is a July baby like my Ben, you are more than welcome to join us in the Born in July 09 thread
Lindsey

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 8:18pm
Toni, Definitely look at becoming a LC...they are sorely needed.

I probably read more into how you said it. Automatically reading that can't see much = most of it in bubs' mouth.

They definitely need to be latched right & sometimes learning to BF is a lonely experience with a lot of pressure from a very tough critic. The more support that women can get the better, especially support ongoing well after the first few weeks!

Hope each feed is improving for you Acetry
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 11:11am
I'm quite keen to be a lactation consultant, would really love to help women experience breastfeeding like I have....
I've breastfed all my kids & have found it to be a truly wonderful experience. Ive done tandem feeding & long term feeding and really like helping others. The problem I feel there just isnt enough support & help when first learning how to latch and its such a huge shame

I'm glad I have been a little bit of help Acetyr, I have a website that I think might help. Its called Pumpstation and has a description & photos of the deep latch technique HERE

I've found it to be quite a good resource myself

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
Acetyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 1:32pm
Thanks toniellis. Despite seeing heaps of videos and reading heaps of books I have never seen the deep latch (sandwiching) technique and bubs is latching on better. He still makes the occassional "clicking" sound but it's not hurting anymore.

I went to the BFing support group today. They assured me that because he is well and happy, I shouldn't worry about his poor weight gain or pooing only every few days. Apparently breastfed babies can go up to 10 days without pooing. They also said that at 3 months old, BFing can change a bit as they're more inquisitive or interested in other things going on.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. I'll perserve with a deep latch and should stop weighing bubs!

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 4:22pm
Hey I'm glad he is latching better. Any kind of pain (versus tenderness) is kind of a sign to check latch.

The main things to look for is weight gain (weight staying the same or loss is not so good) that is reasonably constant.
Wet nappies (more than pooey ones) are good signs too.
Being happy IS a very good sign, a malnourished baby wouldn't be I promise so if he is well then you are doing great

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by toniellis toniellis wrote:

The main things to look for is weight gain (weight staying the same or loss is not so good) that is reasonably constant.

not technically correct sorry.
weight gain is not the be all end all of growth. mine all slowed down about 6 mths... growth can happen in other ways, length for instance.... so yeah dont get all hung up on how much they weigh and which percentile they are in.

and re the poop, yeah bf babies dont poo on schedule.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 9:45pm
3 poos in 2 weeks sounds completely normal for a BF baby....enjoy it while it lasts

Also your supply may "feel" like its dropped but isnt it around the 3 month mark that your breasts change the way they make milk and make it as needed rather than storing it up so you feel super full. I know mine feel soft most of the time but James still gets a good feed and I shocked myself to express 180ml without effort...so supply is still good.

NEVER DOUBT YOUR SUPPLY!!!!

you'd think babies would know how to latch wouldnt you? Bit of a design flaw in our species I'd say
pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 9:19pm
I thought it was great advice Tons. I think it's easier to explain the big wide latch by saying bubs should have 'most' of the areola in their mouths.

acetyr - you're doing an amazing job!
I think sometimes by 3 months we kinda think we've got breastfeeding sorted and we become a bit 'lazy' (i know I did) with the latch and then things start to hurt a bit more etc. I went to see a lactaion consultant at about 3 months as I was getting blocked ducts and a blister on my nipple. Turned out I only need to have DS position changed slightly to correct things, I was cradling him to much over to the side, instead of having him more central IYKWIM?
Also my LC told me that babies weight gain can slow down after 12 weeks as they've done so much growing up until then. And that if plunket said anything about slow weight gain, not to listen to them, lol! I never had that issue with DS though, hehe!
Keep up the great work hun!

ETA - forgot to agree about the wet nappies. Some BF babies can go 10 days without pooing.

www.kellymom.com is fantastic BF resource too. I've learnt so much from that site.

Edited by pomikiwi

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06
 Post Reply Post Reply