FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAF after m/c

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MB1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MB1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AF after m/c
    Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:00pm
Hi all,
Am just wondering how other people have experienced their period return following a miscarriage...

TMI probably: I finally miscarried naturally in Sept (after 5 weeks of expectant waiting) - carried on spotting/bleeding for about 3 weeks then 31 days after mc had one largish bleed and spotting for a day but that was it. Have now had another 31 cycle and am spotting but nothing particularly startling or anything that requires attn or a pad or anything.

Is this the same for you guys, or did it all pretty much go back to 'normal' for you? If similar, how long til regular AF flow began again?

Cheers
MB
Sponsored Links

AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:25pm
I miscarried naturally from 19 September and got my first cycle 7 days ago. I bled about the same amount as I would have before the miscarriage. My cycles are anything up to 56 days and vary wildly so I never know when to expect one.

So about 7 or 8 weeks between miscarrying and my first cycle since.

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 10:03pm
I had a natural m/c at 6w2d and then got my AF exactly 26 days later (normal for me was 26-28 days). That AF was actually much much heavier than the m/c itself, I then got pregnant so can't answer much more about my cycle returning to normal.

It wouldn't hurt to see your doc, I would think if you are getting bleeding everything 31 days it should be what you would normally have had. Doesn't hurt for the peace of mind either

lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 12:59pm
My cycle re-started 29 days after my D&C.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 1:21pm
Mine returned to normal as if the miscarriage was just another AF. Could you have retained products?
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 1:38pm
i had about 5 week wait after my d and c and i wasnt taking much notice for my natural one but about 5 as well i think?1st one after natural was heavy but rest were normal.
Mum to two amazing boys!
karenm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 3:58pm
This last m/c was my first natural one and funnily enough has been the only one where my AF hasn't returned to normal straight away.

With the others I had a normal AF 28-30 days after the m/c but this time round the AF was on schedule but I only had 2 days bleeding and then 1 day spotting.

I was concerned about retained product so went to my GP who did a pregancy test (to check HCG levels) and referred me for another scan (beware it will probably cost you full price because it is 14 days after m/c )

Scan showed no product but be interesting to see what this months visit has in store for me...
4 x m/c - Sep 08, Mar 09, Oct 09 & Feb 10
MB1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MB1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 5:50pm
Thanks, guys.
Had a blood test a month or so ago and hcg levels were less than 1 so that not a prob - am wondering if it's due to the whole missed miscarriage and long wait til actual mc. Think my bod is a bit confused! This AF (what there is of it which is neglible) is mostly dark brown also so goodness only knows what the story is!
Thanks again
MB
jo1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:34pm
Hi MB, glad you started this thread :) I actually started a similar topic about two weeks ago then changed my mind because I thought I might just be feeding my own paranoia! But my periods have not gone back to normal - they're there, but the cycle isn't as regular as it was, the bleeding is heavier, the surrounding symptoms are different. I am off to dr tomorrow just to check it out. But from cursory googling (always dangerous!) I gather that anything can be normal after a miscarriage...

I've also decided that hormones have got a LOT to answer for, I'm sure I'm not the first woman to work that one out! Some days the grief of the miscarriage is a sad but manageable thing in my life. Other days the end of the world!! I know grief comes and goes but I think there's an extra element there and I am considering some "witchy poo" treatment might be in order...
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 10:44pm
I dont know what my cycles were like pre MC (was on the pill for 6ish years), got PG before first AF after the pill then MC naturally at 6 and a half weeks. My MC was over and done with pretty quickly (2 days bleeding, 2 days of spotting). My first AF took 45 days to come back, then the next on was 35, and this cycle would have been 31 days (had I not gotten PG). I didnt want my cycles to be that long forever and wanted them to return to normal as quickly as possible so I took Vitex (herbal suppliment thing) and I dont know if my body sorted itsself out, but I do like to think the vitex helped...

+1 May 09 Angel
didi99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote didi99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 8:47am
Jo I agree hormones do have a huge amount to answer for. re the "witchy poo" treatment I went to my naturopath a few days after my D&C and was definately feeling alot more balanced emotionally wise within a couple of days of taking her brew (don't get me wrong the grief is still there just alot less like a big black hole). Can't really comment on the AF side of things as it's only been 2 weeks but am due to go back to her in a couple of weeks so she can do something else to me.
Anyway after blabbing on my point is I think it is definately worth a go.
Angel Babies Nov 09, May 10, Dec 10
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 8:58am
Emmi I also used Vitex and it was wonderful - it regulated my cycles and I got pregnant really quickly.

Then I developed a terrible allergic reaction - apparently one of the not so common side effects so had to stop taking it

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 11:09am
Oh wow Azza! Your the first person Ive come across who has had a reaction to it... Unlucky! I hope it managed to get you on the right track while you could take it anyway.

+1 May 09 Angel
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Emmi_ Emmi_ wrote:

Oh wow Azza! Your the first person Ive come across who has had a reaction to it... Unlucky! I hope it managed to get you on the right track while you could take it anyway.

I know... talk about unlucky.

If I could live with the swollen face and neck and the hives then I'd keep taking it - it was fantastic stuff

MB1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MB1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 3:41pm
On the witchy-poo subject, Jo - My accupunture is working a treat. I honestly feel better now than I have for a couple of years! Am now down to monthly visits to keep that pesky 'chi' in balance :)
jo1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2009 at 9:06am
My period started yesterday and it's worse than ever. So much blood, so much pain. I feel very washed out. The good news is I had an appointment with a naturopath on Friday, and have a few magic potions to take. When I was there on Friday I felt quite doubtful about whether the whole herb approach could really be helpful (though the naturopath at motherwell was wonderful) but now I think I'll believe in ANYTHING if there's hope of getting some "normal" periods out of it :)

Anyway, just thought I'd pitch that into the mix.

Hope the rest of you are *well* (in as much as anyone feels well after a miscarriage)...
didi99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote didi99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 9:49am
Well my AF started yesterday which is exactly 28 days since my D&C, so seems I have gone straight back to normal. Don't know if that is down to my naturopaths treatments but I figure it can't of hurt the process. If anyone wants a recomendation for a good naturopath let me know (she is in Westharbour, Auckland).
Angel Babies Nov 09, May 10, Dec 10
MB1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MB1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 3:17pm
I went to acupuncture again today and told him about my weird period thing - he wasn't that surprised because my body took so long to catch on to m/c naturally, it may take 2 or 3 cycles to return to normal flows. He also stuck the ouchy points in my toes again and said that may well activate things so we'll see!!
Hope everyone is well, and enjoying this sunshine :)
jo1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 5:14pm
YES I am enjoying the sunshine!!! :)
spanky77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanky77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 6:25pm
I had misoprostol for a missed miscarriage 4 months ago (today) ( baby died 4-5 weeks prior we think), 1st period after was 36 days, but I believe it took a few weeks for my body to realise it was no longer 'pregnant'

Its stayed regular ish, although I have a luteal period of about one day before bleeding for 2 weeks, am currently having this looked into, but this has been happening for a year now. So is hard to pinpoint exact cycle startday, last month was 24 days, month before was 32. I always have been 27-28 days.

The good news is that I have not had any cramping since mc, and occasionally have had a mild aching sensation, but no other pain as such.

Will be acupunctured too, once all my results are in
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>