FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat were/are your 2yo like with your new

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What were/are your 2yo like with your new
    Posted: 29 December 2009 at 3:56pm
born?? I have a 2yo son & an almost 5 week old daughter. My son will give her kisses etc but most of the time he's a little monster with her. It drives me crazy.
Sponsored Links

EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 4:17pm
I was really lucky that Ollie was really gentle with Lilia (21 month age gap) and would generally leave her alone.
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 4:27pm
was no real problem when taine was first born, although in saying that, jake sat on him when he was 3 days old. when taine started heading towards the toys - he was NOT impressed. thats when the fights began. before that, they weren't that interested in each other. Jake was 15 months when Taine was born tho.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 5:09pm
Isabelle was totally besotted with Elias (she was 17 months when he arrived) .. now she 's him, but doesnt want him anywhere near her things .. or her Mum, or Dad, or Grandad

But she is always gentle with him, just puts on a sulky face if she wants whoever Elias is with at the time.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 5:22pm
No problems here. Mac is awesome with Frano. We have had a couple of "incidents" but both times were genuine accidents with Mac playing too close to Frano on the floor. Most of the time he is uninterested in him but does like cuddles at the same time so have become a master at balancing them both.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 5:39pm
this thread gives me a bit of hope...my little guy loves bubbas and is very gentle but i suspect will be very different when bub lives here too!!:) I'll have very close to a 2yr gap..
Mum to two amazing boys!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 7:02pm
There were no issues here (19 month gap) until Kyle could move and then all hell broke lose. Spencer will sometimes go up and pull Kyle over, push him or slap him for no reason at all (which really winds me up). Mostly though it is caused by Kyle trying to grab a toy or they start playing nicely and then Spencer gets too excited and then gets rough even though he's not actually meaning too.

Hopefully your little boy is just adjusting to having a new little sister and things settle down (until she is on the move anyway)

mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 7:42pm
We have a two and a half year gap here and Sam is generally pretty good but has to be reminded to be gentle a lot of the time.   He isn't rough intentionally, he's just a boisterous child and wants to play with him!    

Sam wasn't really interested in Jamie at first but now he is utterly obsessed with helping me.   He HAS to help change him, put him to bed, put his dummy in, turn the mobile on etc.    Jamie sleeps a lot during the day so not sure how he'll be when he's more mobile and the two of them are in the same room all day!
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 10:59pm
Like cuppatea...fine till they realise they are here to stay. My two are best mates but Tom likes to push him over, steal things off him and BITE him! He also body slams him and all other unmentionable things. James however has started hitting back and screaming blue murder if Tom takes something he wants...oh joy!
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 11:01pm
We have a 2 and a half year age gap here as well. Most of the time Sam has been pretty much indifferent to Anthony. She has really only just started showing any interest in him in the past few weeks. We have a stool beside the change table and she now comes in and 'helps' me change nappies and will pull funny faces to make him smile. We have had a couple of little accidents with him being stood on or accidentally thumped by her but overall she is pretty good with him.

The best advice I was given was to not force the baby on the older child - and to not put the baby in a position where the older child can hurt them thereby needing to be told off (accidentally or on purpose).    
For this reason we don't generally put Anthony on the floor in Sam's reach or let her feel like she is having to 'share' any of her special things with him at this stage.

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 3:35pm
We had no problems, Jake was generally very gentle - he gets a bit over-excited at times and cuddles are a little full-on, but Morgan just giggles as soon as hes near her and LOVES the cuddles where he just about flattens her now! the only issue we had was "my daddy my daddy" if she was on DH for a while, but it passed pretty quickly (I had a c section so dh had to do alot of stuff with him for ages, so we started him doing the bath/putting him in bed etc before she was born and then I was in hosp for 4 days so it was just him and daddy).

May be a different story when she can move more .... cos right now he can give her toys or take them away and she can't do much about it ....
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 7:02pm
Cadens younger but he was terrible to start with(14 months age gap), he would hit her and try and dump toys on her, he didnt know he was doing anything wrong, but it would stress me out heaps.

Now 4 months on, he LOVES her to bits, he comes right up to her and chats to her and hugs her, and she smiles at him, when she crys he puts her dummy in for her and even holds it there when she wont suck it properly lol, he pats her gently when she crys too He will also rock her bouncer or capsule if she is upset lol.
Oh and he brings her, her dolly as well lol

He will get better hun, dont worry, he just needs to get used to her thats all.

I was worried he was going to be mean to her for ages be her got used to her quite quicly :)

Edited by Sheza
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 8:34pm
Thanks for your replies.

Aww Sheena that's so cute. Kaelen does give her kisses and cuddles and is gentle with her sometimes, and tries to give her dummy to her (not that she ever wants it) but the next minute he's being mean to her. He won't listen either which is extremely frustrating.

Can't wait till this stage has passed. They're both such hard work at the moment.
boys.boys.boys.boys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boys.boys.boys.boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2009 at 11:02am
I was SO in the same boat as quite a few others, it's quite lovely really to hear that others had the same problems!!

Things were fine (apart from a few minor things - toys hitting little heads after flying out of Micahs hands, tripping over Daniel that he just 'didnt notice', etc!!!), until Daniel started to crawl etc, then came the pushing, hitting, pushing, etc. (no biting yet thankfully!!).

He is pretty good with him now, and they will share and play quite happily for hours now, unless they get tired or whatever. But it does get better...

I actually found that punishment worked well with micah (a light smack on the leg), as he seemed to get enjoyment from pushing, smacking Daniel, and he hardly ever hit him etc after finding that it hurt him too... But that was just my experiance so i am certinally not saying that is what everyone should do!

Sorry for the essay!
4 boys!! 7 years, 5 years, 2 years and 8 weeks...
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2009 at 9:38pm
I think thats just normal sibling behaviour lol, even though Caden is a lot nicer to her now, he still get a bit rough and will wack her on the head or face with his hands or toys and I just say to him 'no caden be gentle, loves for Isabella" and then I will pat her gently or stroke her gently so he can see me being nice to her, and he often copies.

I know how you feel about them both being hard work too, some days I ust want to rip my hair out when they are both playing up! Caden gets very naughty when Bella is unsettled too, I dont know why, maybe cos he can see Im busy and is trying to get my attention by being loud and annoying lol, he also is getting jealous too, if Im sitting on the floor holding Bella he will push his way in and sit on my lap lol
Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2010 at 2:46pm
My latest little girl is currently 3 weeks old, and her big sister is 23 months old. I've been pleasantly surprised at how good my eldest daughter has been - no jealousy, doesn't get upset when baby cries and wants to hold her little sister all the time. I thought she might get a bit resentful with all the time I spend with baby, e.g. feeding and settling but it hasn't bothered her at all. Overall it's been far easier than I thought it would be!

My eldest has been in part time childcare for over a year and I think that has helped as she's used to being around younger children, babies crying etc at daycare so it doesn't bother her.

Edited by Febgirl
Two little girls under 2!

Post Reply Post Reply