FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedasking for help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: asking for help
    Posted: 03 January 2010 at 9:10am
how do you know if you have PND?

or if it's just sleep deprivation and hormonal chnages?

How did you ask for help and how did you know if you needed it.

TIA
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 12:46pm
Talking with someone is a good start, it will help put things into perspective for you. MW would prob be the best person at this early stage, or GP. They have a scale to rate how u feeling. Sleep deprivation definalty takes a major toll on how u cope with things, thats for sure.
Hugs.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Milo1 Milo1 wrote:

how do you know if you have PND?

or if it's just sleep deprivation and hormonal chnages?

How did you ask for help and how did you know if you needed it.

TIA

I just knew because i wasnt getting pleasure out of simple things and everything was becoming a chore.. and i was just 'sad' a lot ... so i went and talked to the GP ( i see some got rated on a scale mine never did that:( ) we talked and to my horror I cried:( and we went from there.. i think hormones and sleep issues made things worse but i just went to my doc who i trust a lot and told him how i was feeling to see what he thought..i just made an appt.. was really hard but I'm so glad i did it..
Mum to two amazing boys!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 1:58pm
The Mothers Matter website has some good info and also the scale to assess yourself and how/ where to get help.

Mothers matter
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 3:28pm
thanks for that..i just did it.. 19 for answers before the doc visit and meds and 8 now..
Mum to two amazing boys!
ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 8:14pm
is it possible to have PND if your baby is older? or would that be classed as just normal depression? is there a difference?

ETA: sorry to threadjack

Edited by ellabellame

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 8:21pm
Most maternal mental health teams will only see mums with babys under 1 yr of age, but I guess there has to be a cut off point for funding purposes.
The treatment would be the same anyway for depression or pnd, especially with the starting point being talking to a health professional you trust, like GP who can refer u to counselling or other appropriate services.
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2010 at 10:30am
Thanks for the link i'll go and have a look.

Edited by Milo1
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2010 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by ellabellame ellabellame wrote:

is it possible to have PND if your baby is older? or would that be classed as just normal depression? is there a difference?

ETA: sorry to threadjack

this is what i asked my doc too.. i think in my case i had it for a lot longer than i thought i did..but yeah they are treated the same basically..
Mum to two amazing boys!
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2010 at 1:32pm
I was the same, i knew it was depression back but wasnt sure what was classed as 'post natal' or weither it was just normal depression. Same treatment.
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 2:34pm
saw the gp at he 6 week check, all ok. She said if i'm eating and sleeping fine(when i can) can it's o.k
Feeling good now too DS2 is sleeping better therfore i am so feel heaps better!
that website is great though, heaps of helpful advice.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 4:21pm
I've eaten and slept fine the whole time....maybe I'm just weird:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
 Post Reply Post Reply