FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAs lots of other have said...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: As lots of other have said...
    Posted: 07 January 2010 at 11:56am

Edited by Sheza
Sponsored Links

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 12:26pm
I haven't had PND, so I won't pretend to know what you are going through, but meh, I'll talk anyway
I was given citalopram for just over a year after a head injury left my body in a mess and me clinically depressed and with anxiety.

It took me ages to agree to go on them, but as my GP said, it is part of a short term relief (along with diet and exercise) to get you through a difficult patch, not a life sentence. She monitored my progress closely, made sure I went on the dosages correctly and came off safely. And they did help. It pays to give it a week or few to let them really kick in, but if you don't notice a difference or like what they do to your body, don't be afraid to ask for something different.

It'll get better.

Edited by Flake
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 1:50pm
, I think the hardest part is saying to someone that there is something wrong and going to your GP for an official diagnosis. Congrats on making that step. I have pretty much had PND of a degree since Jack was born but it wasn't until Ben was 4wks old that I said something to someone. My mw tested me and I was borderline PND, a few months later I saw the GP and scored 17 on the scale. Part of me felt better just with the GP giving me the diagnosis as what I felt had a name and then I could go about fixing it.

I didn't want anti-D's and personally felt that I didn't need them as I had definate low patches and "normal" patches but everyone is different. One of my GPs ended signing me up for the Lifestyle Choices programme run by my PHO which gave me 4 free counselling sessions. This has helped me as I have learnt what my triggers are, basically an attempt to be supermum and do everything perfectly even though my kids don't want to co-operate, among a few other things. It has meant that since then I have been really good and even had an enjoyable holiday over NY which was a disaster last year.
I am not sure what part of AKL you are in but maybe you are in the same PHO and the counselling may benefit you as well.

I am definately no expert but I am happy to listen if you need someone.

Edited by Linzy
Lindsey

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 3:09pm
hugs to you Sheza... esp as its been so tough for you lately...i didnt think i needed meds either but went along when I was 23 wks preg and eventually decided on meds and have never felt better.. (i hate taking anything when preg but as he said its better to be stable now than have major issues when bub born)

he never did the test but i found the scale and was 18 before meds and 8 2.5 months after:)

hugs ..i know how hard talking to the doc is.. and well done for doing it ..it took about a month or 5 weeks for me to really feel better..
Mum to two amazing boys!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 3:10pm
wish counselling was offered here..i have never had it mentioned by mw or doc about it..:(

Edited by Four_eyes
Mum to two amazing boys!
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 7:06pm
Four_eyes I had to actually ask for it as meds were really the only thing that was offered to me. That didn't seem right to me and I had to do a bit of digging. In the end I spoke to the nurse at the practice (after my Mum recommended I do that) and she spoke with one of the other doctors who was actually a friend of mine in High School. It was the 2 of them that looked around to get the counselling for me. Maybe if you made some enquiries you might be able to find something, although it does feel a little wrong that it isn't offered as well as meds
Lindsey

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 7:10pm
And dont worry the yawning does get better     
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:24pm
for you Sheena, it's so good you've got some help now. It's tough but you will get through it and the hard times will be less and less. From someone who's been there - after meds and some cognitive therapy stuff, I'm so much happier/more content/less anxious/less tired than I was this time last year.

I really recommend asking about any counselling as well - I was able to see a psychologist for free cos the DHB funded it (in Manukau City) for 4 sessions I think.   It was mainly looking at my thought patterns and how they made me spiral down further, and the guy gave me strategies to use when I was aware I was in a negative thought pattern. It really helped.

Hang in there, you are doing amazingly.
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:29pm
linzy yeah crazy its not offered in conjunction isnt it.. i esp thought preg might get help but nope..nothing:(!
Mum to two amazing boys!
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 12:47am
You really have to be your own advocate with getting counselling - ask your GP for some contacts or call Catholic Social Services (they can organise it cheaply if you can't afford to find your own). I really recommend it though, helps to get on top of the issues that are exacerbated by hormones and sleep deprivation.

Hugs Sheza Hang in there.
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 12:13pm
Thanks Girls :)

I will talk to my Dr when I see him on Thursday about it, he will no doubt bring it up anyways, he is really good.

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 2:40pm
Hugs hun!

It is so hard to admit!

Like Linzy I chose not to go on meds, mine was mild I knew it was coming (have suffered depression before) and acted on it quickly. I was lucky that the crisis team from NS mental health were contacted by my GP and they phoned me daily and visited me bi weekly for a month. The meds were really pushed but for my own reasons I did not want them. Though I would have taken them if I had gotten any worse. And yes you do have to push for assistance other than meds.

Has your GP referred you to MMH? There is a lot of support out there, the crisis team even offered to have someone come in and spend a few nights with us so I could get some decent sleep (a major trigger for my depression) but we had MIL do it instead.

That helped soooo much! Was even prescribed relaxants so I could sleep (to take before bed and pump and dump first thing in the morning so needed enough milk for that).

It will get better, citalopram is good. Does make you yawn heaps and can take a good couple of weeks to kick in but it will do the job.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 4:46pm
yep I yawn heaps lol, and I have a headache, Its awful.

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 9:04pm
Hey hun, sorry didn't see this til now, huge hugs from me. Talk soon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 8:40am
Thanks Emz

Im in two mind about taking the pills again...I was SO sick last night, I was tired as had a really nasty headache and I was up half night on the loo, I felt awful. Actually I havent felt good sine I started taking the pills, surley they are not suppose to make you so sick you an function properly

I still have my herbal stuff that relaxes the nervous system so I think Im going to start taking that everyday and see if that makes a differnce before I go down the Anti-D's rote properly, as I really cant look after my kids well when I feel like that

Edited by Sheza

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 9:10am
Check with your gp about the herbal meds. My DH went the herbal route first and then that wasn't working enough (did make him feel better but he still wasn't good enough to go to work and stuff) so he went on Citalopram and the dr also gave him another med to take until that one started working. Things weren't going right still and when he spoke to his homeopathic doc (whose an ex gp) he told him the herbal drugs would have been working against the Anti Ds and he should have stopped the herbal ones and had a break before starting the anti Ds, it wasn't a huge biggy but it did just mean it took a while for the anti Ds to work properly. The difference in my Dh now is amazing, he's totally back to normal (he's still on the meds). Around this time last year he couldn't even leave the house We did pay for him to have counselling sessions also, I think that is really important if you can find a way to get them.

Maybe ring the doc tomorrow if you can and ask about them making you so sick, they might be able to see you sooner or suggest something else to help (or they might advice you stop taking them and they prescribe something else)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 9:50am
I havent had the herbal stuff for weeks and have only been on the Anti-D's for 2 days. Im going to start taking the herbal one tomorrow when im feeling better, and then see how I go.

My PND is just mild/moderate, I dont feel depressed as such, I just get really mad at times and feel really stressed out. I would prefer to not be on any meds if I can help it.

I see my Dr on Thursday so i will have a chat to him about it all

Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 12:23pm
I have had PND (On the very high end of the scale) and I actually got better without meds. I did try Anti-D's and got really crazy and spaced out on them.

See if you can find a Postnatal support group in your area, it really helped me They would take the kids for us and make us a cuppa , and we'd all just sit there and vent. They taught us coping strategies and lots of other really helpful things too. The stink thing for me was that they only ran every few months so by the time I got to see them I had been suffering for almost 3 months beforehand.

Unfortunately for me Janaya was older than 9months when I was diagnosed so I didn't qualify for MMH. I'm pretty sure my doctor referred me (She really fought for me to get into MMH) I ended up with the Hospitals Mental Health unit as I got very suicidal and things turned really ugly!

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a hug and say if you want to chat just PM me. I chose the non-medicating road in the end and got better with Art, St Johns wort and counselling. (And my family of course)

Hugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 12:44pm
Thanks Kylie

The herbal tonic I have has St Johns Wort in it, and the days I took I really did feel so much calmer.

_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 3:50pm
Hi Sheena.

I know what hard work reflux babies are and how stressful it can be. I know i've felt really down at times. But i seem to be past that now (mostly). I hope you can find something that works and you start to feel better soon.

What about trying rescue remedy as well? Some people swear by it to help keep them calm.

Hugs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>