FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCitalopram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citalopram
    Posted: 08 January 2010 at 11:17am
Ive just started taking this(this morning), and suddenly feel SO tired, cant stop yawning and I have zilt energy, and a muzzy head, did anyone else have this while taking it?

*yawn* Gah I know your suppose to get worse before you get better but this is so hard with a 18 month old and 4 month to run round after.

Sponsored Links

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 11:59am
Yep. Thankfully I had no babies at that stage.
It zonked me, but it kept me stable, or my moods even I guess. And the zonked feeling kind of wears off as you grow used to it.

http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:07pm
yeah i was lucky to not feel too zonked.. the doc said if i did they can get you to take it at night but you must check with doc first.. being preg as well i think it was both making me knackered for a while but evened out after a few weeks...i started straigth onto 1 though are you on half?
Mum to two amazing boys!
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:19pm
Yep I had that zonked feeling too - and yawned HEAPS. Also felt kinda drugged up IYKWIM. It didn't last forever though, and I changed from taking it at morning to taking it at night and that helped heaps.

Have you started with 1/2 tablet?

I know it's hard but trust me, it will get better and once your body is used to the drugs, they'll help lots

Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:28pm
i second that too..its made a massive massive difference to me!
Mum to two amazing boys!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 3:02pm
Thanks girls

Yep Liz Im just on half a pill at the moment, my Dr also said I can stay on half a pill if I feel really yucky on one pill.

I didnt realize that it can make you feel yuck so quickly!

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 3:22pm
yup same thing here. i took it at night and then after a few weeks i noticed the tiredness went away (or maybe i just adjusted to it)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 3:30pm
I think my Dr said something about tking it at night aswell, I see him enxt Thursday so I will ask him.

BriAndOlisMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriAndOlisMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 4:00pm
I was prescribed these a couple years ago now. took one tablet and about 15 -30 mins later felt absolutely horrible. felt really dizzy and spaced out, felt like throwing up and when i moved my hand in-front of my face it was like my hand wasn't even mine. i sat down and was so scared i wouldn't be able to even get back up again, there was nothing i could do about it either, to make matters worse i was the only one home with my then 3 year old.

i didn't take any more of them after that and when i told the doctor a while later he said i must have been allergic to them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 4:10pm
oh wow scary!!
I didnt get anything like that, I just felt really tired and my head was muzzy and heavy, and then I felt a little bit sick briefly and on/off.
Im ok, now, but still tired, I feel like someone is trying to pull my eyes shut

sarahm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 4:16pm

Ive had no problem with them at all.  I was told to take them at night as I was still breastfeeding when I started on them, and whilst they are safe the Dr said that taking them at night meant a smaller amount would cross into the milk.  They even said on the pharmacy label to take at night and the Dr hadnt written that on the script.

When I got my last lot I asked the pharmicist if I should keep taking them at night and she said they always tell people to only take them at night because they can make you tired.

Edited by sarahm
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 5:31pm
weird..mine expressly say only take in the morning unless directed by doc..though i must talk to him about the breastfeeding thing.. yeah sheena I felt like that awful part of hungover when you first wake up adn just wanna go back to sleep..lol
Mum to two amazing boys!
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 8:29pm
It's funny how different opinions docs have. Mine says the same as yours four-eyes. I asked my doc why only in the morning and she said it's cause it can have an 'energetic' effect for most people a few hours after so if they take it at night then they'll wake up later. I've never had any probs with feeling yuck/tired and I'm on 2 tabs per day. I was on them though b/c of anxiety which was causing me to not sleep so for me, I feel great cause I'm actually getting sleep at night.

Also, my doc says that 1/2 tab makes no difference to feeling better, she said it's just what some docs do to slowly introduce the drug into your body but for long term improvement, that low dose isn't enough. There are other types of drugs you can try if that doesn't work for you. They all take a long time to kick in, so hang in there. It will get so much better and it will be all worth it!!!!!!!!

Hugs Sheena!!!! I'm thinking of you
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 2:44pm
Yup, definately made me a bit spacey and tired. I would yawn so wide my mouth would ache LOL.

Only other problem I had with it, it prevented the big O!

MilkyMaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilkyMaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 7:53pm
Hi,   This is my very first post as I am Brand New at this & just sussing out how this all works!
Any way, I went on Citalopram 20mg back in September. I too was bowled over by the tiredness!!!!   Felt very sleepy, couldn't stop yawning & felt very heavy in the head. It was the pits at the start!!   BUT it did get better. It probably lasted about 2weeks at the most & then I felt great.   Prior to going on it I was having panic attacks & hyperventilating, It was very scary & I also get really bad PMS   So anyway I was feeling so good on it & Hubby & I wanted to try for our 2nd baby so with the Doctors approval I went off it. But sadly I have just yesterday had to go back on it.   Still planning to try for a baby.
I would LOVE to hear from anyone who is on this & pregnant or was on it while pregnant & has had their baby???

Signing off
Milky Maid
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 8:16pm
Hey Milky Maid, welcome to Ohbaby

Yep I'm currently on citalopram and pregnant... I take 1 1/2 tabs a day. They say it's the best type of AD for when pregnant and breastfeeding, and I figure it's so important to have sound mental health, especially with all those preggie hormones going round. Because things are going well, I'll stay on them for a few months after bubs is born (to let the hormones settle down) and then see if I feel ready to wean off them.
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 4:46pm
Ye p I get really tired, needing Nana naps in the afternoon, but I have switched it to taking in the evening, anytime from7pm to bedtime works for me and it's much better, i don't feel drugged in the morning. But initially I wondered what the hell I'd done to myself, I was vomiting, headaches, tired, but insomnia, lasted about 2 weeks and since I changed to night time doses I have been fine, my dose in creased to 30mg daily a couple of months ago and it was one of the best moves I made last year to go back onto medicine, that and seeing a cognitive therapist

It should get better for you I hope

Edited by Redbedrock
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 9:03pm
Oh great, so I am now not looking forward to taking my first tablet tomorrow. Things hit rock bottom so I went to the doctor today and he has put me on this starting with 1/2 tablet for the first 6 days. I thought I had seen comments about taking it at night but the doc and the pharmacist said to take it in the morning as it could cause problems sleeping. Will see how I go tomorrow and if I am really drowsy then may check with the doc to see if I can switch to taking it at night.
Lindsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 12:16am
I had to stop taking them as they made me sick as a dog, i felt disgusting
Went back to the dr, and he did the depression scale thingy, and i scored low, so I didnt need the pills anyways(i dont know why he didnt do the test FIRST?!)

I am just taking herbal things now, and Im feeling so much better, more clear headed and things are normal again. I think the stress of Bella's reflux and the c section etc caught up with me and I had stress overload! it was a horrible time though, I hated feeling like that.

Goodluck with the pills linzy, my Dr said tot ake in the morning too, but if they made me too sleepy to take them at night.

Post Reply Post Reply