FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow much is too much? 10.5 months

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much is too much? 10.5 months
    Posted: 16 January 2010 at 10:56am
So my daughter eats an incredible amount of food... I didn't really notice until we had a 7 yr old staying, and she ate just about the same amount of food!

Breakfast is normally 1 weetbix or toast, plus fruit (about 3/4 cup full)

Snack is something small-ish, maybe a cream-cheese cruskit.

Lunch is often left-over dinner, yesterday was 1/2 cup spaghetti and 1/2 cup bolognese sauce. And then some fruit.

Afternoon tea yesterday was about 1/3 a round of watermelon, and 8 grapes.

Dinner was quiche (an 8th of the dish), 6 slices beetroot, 1/4 tomato, MORE grapes (they're going off, so eating quickly!).

To top all this off, she's still BF on demand, so often 4-6 times a day. She's also offered water at every solids meal, and throughout the day, and can drink 150ml every day easily.

She does stop when she's full, and tosses the food off the highchair. I have given her more when she's finished her plateful if she's still trying to pick up crumbs, but if she's finished she'll just stop and try to get out of the highchair. I was just stunned to see the 7yr old eat less dinner than my less-than 1yr old.

She's a large-ish baby, 10kg, but she was when she was born too (4.1kg). She hasn't deviated from the 85% line for weight and the 95% line for height since birth, so she is normal for her.

I don't want to make a big deal about food, we've gone the BLW route so she has always decided how much and what to eat. Can someone please just reassure me that she's not TOTALLY overfed? I'm sure she'd refuse it if she wasn't hungry...

Sorry for the novel, and thanks in advance from a slightly paranoid first-timer!
Sponsored Links

Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 11:28am
I'd say that is perfectly fine, she just loves her food and boobie - clever girl
She is around the same size as DD and as you know we're too still demand feeding. Because you are BLWing her I would assume that it is completely fine for her to be eating those amounts of food because she decides when she is full.
On the odd occasion we have spoon fed DD I find it interesting how she can take a whole bowl of food in under 10 mins, yet when she is feeding herself the process is much slower and at her pace. Which we all know is a much healthier way of approaching food! I think that is also another great aspect of BLW - she won't overfeed herself!
I wouldn't worry about it, sounds like she is doing fab! DD sometimes eats much the same amounts, then other days she eats less.
So in short, sounds totally normal to me
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 11:33am
That sounds about how much Henry was eating from around 8months until just recently when he's slowed down a bit. It used to shock me that he could eat more than me, even when i was pregnant lol.
For breakfast he would eat 2weetbix, a banana and 1/4 cup of yoghurt every morning and then would often demand a piece of our toast when we were eating breakfast. Just for comparison.
He was also breastfed on demand until he self weaned at 13-14months.
If there are times where she does refuse food i would just trust that she knows when she's full. Im a little bit worried what he's going to be like as a teenager if this is what he's like as a toddler lol
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 11:41am
its totally normal for toddlers to eat more than older kids... i think they slow down a bit and then when they hit teenagers i am told it gets back up aain. quite often my 22 mth old eats more than the 6 yr old.

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 11:58am
Josh was a really big baby and was about 10kg from about 4 or 5 mths he ate alot. I was always told you cant overfeed a baby (they need a lot more because of all the growing and developing) They dont learn to overfeed until they reach the toddler years and dont need as much food then but parents tend to make them eat one more mouthful because they dont think they have had enough where as baby just start spitting it back at you. Josh was also a big formula drinker and was put on hungry baby formula which didnt make him want to cut back at all. Plunket tried to get me to cut back his bottles a few times but i prefered a happy baby rather than an upset hungry one so let josh decide on how much he wanted and when.

Josh was a very round chubby baby above the plunket lines (although a small baby at birth) but as soon as he got the walking sorted he lost it all and has only gained 2 or 3 kg in the past year and is pretty tall for his age. He hardly eats anything now (unless its roast chicken or blueberries) but isnt getting too skinny and still has tonnes of energy so it doesnt worry me

If your baby is happy eating that much then there is nothing wrong with it.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 12:47pm
My 1 year old quite often eats more than my 2.5 year old and he rarely eats less than him. I think they are just doing more growing/developing so need more.

I remember Spencer being the same way and then it seemed to stop and he got a bit more picky/selective and now he seems to have some days where he will not stop eating and others where he isn't much interested, so I'm expecting Kyle will do the same soon when his growth slows down a bit.

Kyle also lobs food off his chair when he's had enough least it's easy to tell they are done

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 12:32pm
Oh good, thanks guys. Had a small freakout and started doubting myself, I think! Good to know it will taper off - I had visions of her eating coleslaw out of a cement mixer by age 8...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 10:13am
Bump
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 11:18am
LMAO thanks Squishy  That sounds about what Clodagh eats and I was beginning to worry she had that Prader-Willie syndrome (or whatever its called), where they can't pass the refridgerator without eating it's entire contents!  

Post Reply Post Reply