FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSide Effects in BF Babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side Effects in BF Babies
    Posted: 21 January 2010 at 9:05am
Can anyone enlighten me on what the possible side effects are in Breast Fed babies whose mother is on Anti D's? What did others notice in their bubs when you started taking them?

I am so reluctant to start taking them again but am getting to the point where I am having meltdowns every day and I know from past experience that its caused by PND.

Sponsored Links

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 10:54am

As far as I can tell it depends on the specific medication. There's a good overview of the various drugs (using the US names, of course, might need to google to see if they're called the same thing here) on kellymom here.

(There's some more general info on PND and breastfeeding here too)

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 1:04pm
my doc said its perfectly safe.. I'm on citalopram but I forgot to ask him again at last appt..so any info you get would be great.. it does say on my sheet not to take when feeding..so I'm confused!
Mum to two amazing boys!
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 1:28pm
The meds prescribed for PND are know to be safe in the shorterm but NO tests have been done on the long term affects (ie presenting adulthood etc)

This was the reason I have chosen to not take meds.

That said there is no research saying that it will have a long term affect.

Its a matter of weighing up happy mummy v possible unknown side affects.... My PND is mild and can be managed without meds so I went this route however, if I get worse (and I am making this decision now) then I will take the meds as Jake needs me now...

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 1:43pm
KA, that link I posted says about citalopram: "Use with caution and watch infant for side effects (per Hale, "There have been two cases of excessive somnolence, decreased feeding, and weight loss in breastfed infants.")."

So it might make baby a bit sleepier than normal is all, and there are ways to deal with that. The link also says "In all studies thus far, any negative effects of medication usually occur in the first 30-60 days postpartum, so breastfeeding beyond that and taking medication is usually fine" so once you've gotten past the first couple of months you'll be sweet.

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 4:20pm
hmmm wonders about the weight loss issue. Will have to check back through my calender and posts on here and see if the 2 coincide
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by weegee weegee wrote:

KA, that link I posted says about citalopram: "Use with caution and watch infant for side effects (per Hale, "There have been two cases of excessive somnolence, decreased feeding, and weight loss in breastfed infants.")."

So it might make baby a bit sleepier than normal is all, and there are ways to deal with that. The link also says "In all studies thus far, any negative effects of medication usually occur in the first 30-60 days postpartum, so breastfeeding beyond that and taking medication is usually fine" so once you've gotten past the first couple of months you'll be sweet.

ah sweet.. thanks i shall read the link later on.. maybe i need to run it past doc as well.. i totally forgot i was thinking so much bout birth didnt think about after!!
Mum to two amazing boys!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 8:00pm
really jess? far out..my doc assured me like 8 times it was totally safe..i know someone on three a day who was told same thing!!!!

but yes i will ring and check it out to make sure.
Mum to two amazing boys!
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 8:41pm
I have been researching it all day today and I am NOT keen to go on anything while BFing. Like scared not keen.

I am going to try taking some multivitamins and see if that helps. Plus I have spoken to DH and we have agreed that I am going to have some time out for just me (even if its just popping to the supermarket on my own - usually Miss 3 has to come with me but I will be saying no).

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 9:34pm
I was taking citalopram while breastfeeding. I wasn't 100% comfortable with it, but my doc assured me it was ok and I was a mess and had tried herbal/natural remedies. In my case, it was either go spiralling out of control or take the drugs
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 10:10pm
I'm not really sure about side effects as I started taking paroxetene during pregnancy, not when I was BF - but I was/am still on them while I was breastfeeding. I didn't notice any side effects with Ollie... but the drugs aren't well researched. Many people have taken them throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding, however.

The general advice is that if you can handle things without ADs, then it's worth a shot, otherwise if you are finding yourself spiralling out of control (as Brenna put it) then it's definitely recommended that you take some medication to help level things out. Your baby needs a healthy, happy mummy.
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2010 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Four_eyes Four_eyes wrote:

really jess? far out..my doc assured me like 8 times it was totally safe..i know someone on three a day who was told same thing!!!!

It ABSOLUTELY is safe, KA.

I even just went and checked in my La Leche Leaders book.

Side effects as weegee says. What happens is you just take it after you have fed, then it has time to "get into" your system before next feed. They have this thing called half life etc. Long explanation about half lifes etc, won't go into it, but it is all to do with timing. Ring your Dr to make sure, and talk to your midwife and a lactation consultant if it makes you feel better.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by fattartsrock fattartsrock wrote:

Originally posted by Four_eyes Four_eyes wrote:

It ABSOLUTELY is safe, KA.

I even just went and checked in my La Leche Leaders book.

Side effects as weegee says. What happens is you just take it after you have fed, then it has time to "get into" your system before next feed. They have this thing called half life etc. Long explanation about half lifes etc, won't go into it, but it is all to do with timing. Ring your Dr to make sure, and talk to your midwife and a lactation consultant if it makes you feel better.

thanks yeah i did ask and doc and mw said perfectly safe.. mw is even finding the research for me to prove it so I'm happy..if you have a link maybe you could send me about the half life thing?
Mum to two amazing boys!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 6:17pm
my doc is super duper cautious and wouldnt put me on anything that was an issue because otherwise i wouldnt trust him!:) so I'm comfortable trusting him and mw.. i was 24 weeks when i started on it.. i cant imagine coming off it esp if it made me have a meltdown with a toddler and a newborn!:)
Mum to two amazing boys!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 9:41pm
i don't have a link (I have it in my course supplies, but if you go to www.llli.com (la leche league international) there is a great part in there with all sorts of information in there. I would have a looksie and find it, but am a bit tied up at mo. Will do after.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Jezsika Jezsika wrote:

Only stating what i was told...

My dr was really cautious about what i was on when pregnant too, i was on Cit when pregnant and ranitidine for reflux, all Maxs problems make me wonder whether it was from all that.

I know you were, hun, but your dose might have been different and your doc may not have the up to date information or be overly cautious.

Some Docs put a blanket "no" on things cos its easier or more cautious.

Its not the *best* one to be on if you are beastfeeding, but it is safe.
Surprisingly, very few AD's are actually contraindicated with BF.

KA's Doc wil know what is safe for HER, and what he is happy for her to have, just as your Doc knows what he is and isn't happy having you on. Cos we are all speshil and you neeqe!

lol I know I'm not a Dr, but for my job, I must have up to date information on meds and BF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 9:49pm
Sorry, its llli.org and her is a link

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/medications.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 9:50pm
and

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAprMay97p39.html
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 1:13pm
Mum to two amazing boys!
mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by CuriousG CuriousG wrote:

Can anyone enlighten me on what the possible side effects are in Breast Fed babies whose mother is on Anti D's? What did others notice in their bubs when you started taking them?

I am so reluctant to start taking them again but am getting to the point where I am having meltdowns every day and I know from past experience that its caused by PND.

I was breastfeeding on 3 different ADs; fluoxetine (also known as fluox or prozac), citalopram, and venlafaxine (known also as effexor), and also BFed on another PND drug called Quetiapine (serquol).

The only drug that I noticed had an effect on Charli-Rose was the fluox. On the first dose I was taking it didn't effect her and I fed fine on it for 9 weeks- it wasn't til I went on a higher dose that I noticed it effecting her- she became very irritable and fidgety and unable to relax and stoped sleeping well.

So I went on another AD and that was fine. The quetiapine did make her more sleepy, a bit too sleepy, so I stopped BFing her the last feed at night right after I took my meds and she would have a bottle of formula then and I would pump'n'dump that feed.

Just remember there are lots of different ADs out there and some are better for breastfeeding that others. Also the risks of untreated PND can far outweight the risks of some ADs going across the breast milk, so keep trying to see the bigger picture.

The best thing I found for me was to have a doc (or whoever is looking after your mental health) that I could trust as they knew me as well as the medications so knew what would work best for us all!

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>