FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp TTC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help TTC
    Posted: 29 January 2010 at 5:12pm
So i have a 28-29day cycle. im not charting this month but when i was charting i was ov'n on CD 14 or 15. i have PCOS but im young so the doctors say i shouldnt have a problem getting UTD (annoys me when they say this!)

my question is should i be taking vitex or anything to help my cycle, even through it "seems" normal.

also should i take metformin? i have about 6 months worth of this (was meant to be taking before i got my IUD put in but never did!)

im honestly just looking for anything to help me get UTD (arent we all!) coz the doctors arent going to help me until we have been trying for a year
Sponsored Links

Bobsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 6:21pm

H I have a 28-32 day cycle so quite normal too.  Am in cycle 11 TTC.  Was going to try vitex just as I wanted to feel like I was doing something something so started grasping at straws!!  decided after reading lots of posts and also google research that it's not worth.  JMO tho.  Vitex has been known to screw up ones "normal" cycle. 

Totally your choice but read up on it a little first is my recommendation.

Me 34
Him 35
DD almost 2 years old and...
Baby #2 on it's way!

snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 11:47pm
Hi H, my understanding is that vitex is mainly to help shorten your cycle, so I wouldn't take it in that sense because it might mess up what you have and a regular cycle is great when you have PCOS Im sure.

However I take it and while it hasnt done anything for my cycle length, it has helped with PMS and skin so I think it's balancing out my hormones, so if your hormones are a problem with the PCOS could be worth a shot.

Also yes I think you should take the metaformin because its supposed to help balance the PCOS which should in turn help you to get pregnant... Im no expert but isnt it to sort out insulin problems which can get in the way of TTC? I think if you went to the doc they put you on that or clomid if you have PCOS anyway... I dont have PCOS but I got tested for it so I have some vague knowledge but not an expert

Just my thoughts anyway
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2010 at 8:18am
Thanks Bobsta and lisa- i was in two mind about the vitex. i didnt want to take it coz of the resons Bobsta said but thought it also might be good to balance out my hormones

i think ill start taking metaformin (instead of vitex) next cycle and it sounds like it will sort out my hormones as well

it pisses me off that the doctors havent even tested my hormones (or actually done any tests at all) it means i going into this whole thing blind
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2010 at 10:33am
Ok Vitex is a stabiliser... if your hormones are out of whack vitex will help balance them..

If your seemingly normal cycle goes whack when taking vitex then there is likely some kind of hormone imbalance that is sorting itself out.

Vitex doesnt shorten cycles, if you have a long cycle due to high eostrogen levels preventing ov than then vitex can balance the eostrogen thus allowing ov to happen and likely shortening your cycle.

Vitex doesnt make you ovulate or fertile as such it just balances your hormones to allow your body to function at "normal".

Hope that makes sense....

If I had a regular cycle and vitex made it irregular I would be wanting my hormones tested tbh.... it shouldnt destablise you iygwim.

snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2010 at 11:27am
H I thought to diagnose you with PCOS they would have had to test your hormone levels, how did they diagnose it otherwise?

When I got tested for it, they did blood tests for hormones and insulin levels etc and I had a scan, but it all came back normal apart from a very marginally higher than normal testosterone level- which is why they thought I might have it, but turns out I didnt. They should test that for you as well I think.   

I think you are well within your rights to ask for bloods for your hormones or failing that change doctor because they really should have done that in the first place. I think it would be helpful to know exactly what you're dealing with. And what the metaformin is and why they want you to take it to, just so you understand what it is and how it's going to help....

Doctors are so frustrating huh.

Edited by lisaas101
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2010 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by melnel melnel wrote:

Ok Vitex is a stabiliser... if your hormones are out of whack vitex will help balance them..

If your seemingly normal cycle goes whack when taking vitex then there is likely some kind of hormone imbalance that is sorting itself out.

Vitex doesnt shorten cycles, if you have a long cycle due to high eostrogen levels preventing ov than then vitex can balance the eostrogen thus allowing ov to happen and likely shortening your cycle.

Vitex doesnt make you ovulate or fertile as such it just balances your hormones to allow your body to function at "normal".

Hope that makes sense....

If I had a regular cycle and vitex made it irregular I would be wanting my hormones tested tbh.... it shouldnt destablise you iygwim.

I totally agree with Mel.
And also vitex is ment to be great for people with PCOS (as it does balance out the hormones) and everything I had read said you could take it up to 18m continuously with no bad effects and very few and minor side affects (if any, which is one of the great things about vitex).
Also spearmint tea is ment to be good to help reduce testosterone levels...

+1 May 09 Angel
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2010 at 5:37pm
I was the same as Lisa, had bloods which revealed a slightly elevated level of testosterone, but an internal scan shoed no cysts, so PCO and PCOS were both ruled out (turns out they arent the same thing, to have PCO you have to have/had cysts, while PCOS means you display the symptoms, but not neccessarliy cysts)

I tried vitex as I had shorter than nomral cycles, and it made no difference, so I figured what was shorter than normal for anyone else, must be normal for ME

Metformin on the other hand I did go on, not so much because of the possibility of PCOS, but to help lose weight, and to take advantage of the side effect of boosting fertility. I lost maybe 2-3kg, but that was mostly the side effects of taking it that were causing the weight loss, which wasnt a healthy way to do it (it constantly gave me the scoots which just made me dehydrated instead) and went on something else to lose weight and 10kg later I finally got preg..

If you can afford to, try going directly to FA (or F+ if you have one in the area) and they will do bloods first.. it will cost a bit (app $200 for first vist which includes bloods, internal scan, and an SA on hubby) but it was worth it for us to have some answers, we'd been acitvely TTCing for 9 months at that point
Brandon - 05/12/2003

_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2010 at 6:58pm
Lisa- i was diagnosed with it over 3 years ago so i had all the tests done then. i want them tested again because i had an IUD in for about 3years. when i had it in i had no periods so im guessing that my hormone levels have changed since then
 Post Reply Post Reply