FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMMH - is it worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMH - is it worth it?
    Posted: 07 February 2010 at 7:41pm
Before xmas I was officially diagnosed with PND by my GP. I didn't want to take meds so they managed to arrange some counselling sessions for me which were great as I worked through some issues and learnt what my triggers are. I was alot happier and relaxed over the xmas period which was wonderful. However it have got bad recently and I went on meds last Wednesday. My GP is going to monitor me and wants me back in a month to see how I am going.

At this stage I don't think he has referred me to MMH. Should I ask to be referred? What are the benefits? Does it affect anything if we decide to go for #3 and if so how?
Lindsey

Sponsored Links

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 7:50pm
I was under MMH and to be honest, my GP and the family centre were better support than them. My lady was always away...sick/holiday and I didn't hear from her very often. She was nice though...

I think they have some great services but I was never aware of them...night relief help etc. If my MMH lady had told me about that I think it would have made such a difference!!

I'd say it can't hurt to be under them. Youe GP should refer you if you want them to.

Best of luck and HUGE hugs!!!!! I know what it feels like when you just start the meds and don't know quite where to go for advice/help/guidance
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 8:42pm
I would definatly ask for a referral. The services they provide vary greatly depending on where u live. I have no idea what they like in west auck, or how long it would take to get seen, but u should get at least some couselling from people who only deal with mums with pnd, and like Anna said u may be able to get some prectical help too. When I was under mmh in whakatane I saw a mmh nurse weekly, and had 3 hrs free home help a week too which was great.
mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 9:59pm
Down here in CHCH we have a slightly different thing from MMH, it's called the Mothers and Babies service and boy is it amazing- they're looking at doing more in other parts of NZ *fingers crossed* that that happens!

Anyway I'm not sure how different it is from M&B but I know that it really helped me being under them- that practical help as well as free counseling (and to be honest if it wasn't free I don't know if we would have done it as DH had to leave his job when DD was 4 months old!) I do also know some people who felt it didn't help, and so they left the service when they realised it just wasn't for them- and leaving was easy enough. Again, I know it might be different than down here, but it seems that they help people that want help- it's not forced on you, ya know? So I'd say give it a go- you never know what good it could do, and if it doesn't work out or you're not happy with what's happening then you can be discharged from the service and that's that!

With #3 I think all that would happen is that you might get some advice about how to prevent another episode of PND including what to do about meds if you are on them when #3 comes along, and they might give you more support if you do hit PND again as they would already have you on file.

Good luck with everything, I hope that your meds start to help you real soon and please keep posting here if it helps

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3
mizpix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizpix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 3:47pm
hi
Recently been working thru a bad patch myself and had my first meet with MMH worker about 10 days ago. Was awesome, chatted for over two hours answered a lot of my questions and had great info on support services available. I would say you have nothing to lose by getting a referral. You control the frequency of visits etc, so if it's not helping you can pretty much stop seeing them and try something else
 Post Reply Post Reply