FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedstarting solids or doing led wean feeding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
music View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starting solids or doing led wean feeding
    Posted: 29 March 2010 at 6:52pm
My baby is nearly 6 months is showing no interest in food yet.

He is not interested at all when we are eating around him.

I am happy to leave him until he is 7 or 8 months been told this ok.

He is very happy on his bottles.

does not get extra hungary and in fact he sometimes is a small feeder.

any advice on this please on people started later with their babies please.

and i was told to wait to 6 months by plunket but now I want to wait longer.

I have not tried him on food and I dont think he is ready his tongue is not doing what I was told he was supposed to be doing with it yet either.

Sponsored Links

ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 7:20pm
I would suggest that you perhaps seek professional advice on this if you have concerns - my understanding is the store of iron that a baby has from its mother is enough to last 6 months, and after that needs to be getting this from solid foods. Bearing in mind that iron is necessary for brain development, it's definitely worth investigating this. What sort of food are you trying? Just fruit purees for instance? Quite often babies starting out on solids only take a teeny amount.

I don't know anyone who has waited later than 6 months I'm afraid.
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 8:32pm
If you are thinking about trying Baby Led Weaning - have you tried just offering him some finger food to play with? After a while of offering it, you may find he starts to put it in his mouth and start to chew. If he is not interested in feeding he won't start to chew and will spit out any food he bites off. That's what BLW is all about - just offering food and if they want to, they will eat and if not, then they won't. No need to try and force feed purees.

Food is more about playing at this age anyway rather than trying to fill him/her up.

I've found that fruit and veges in finger form were the best starters. Cooked Brocolli is a great option as it has its own handle. Jude's favourite fruit is nectarine.

At six months your baby's iron stores will start to SLOWLY deplete (they don't just become iron deficient overnight), their most important source of nutrients is still going to be breastmilk or formula. You still have a while to go yet before you should start worrying that he is not interested in solids.

Hope this helps.

ETA: Highly recommend the Baby Led Weaning book by Gill Rapley is that is the route you would like to take.

Edited by StaceyL

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 8:35pm
Both my boys were 6mths when I started solids, Jack on the traditional mush and Ben is following baby led weaning.
Personally I would suggest that you look into baby led weaning, there are a few threads on here. It took at least 2wks for Ben to actually swallow food which is fine and it probably took 4-6wks for him to be eating a large enough quantity for it to change the consistency of his dirty nappies! You could just try putting your baby in the highchair when you eat and just giving them some of what you are having (e.g. bread, cracker etc), all they will likely do is play with it but they will start getting used to food, this is what we did with Ben.
This thread is great and has heaps of info
Lindsey

music View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 11:14pm
thanks ladies that all helps.

My doctor told me that when he goes onto the follow on formula he will get more iron from this milk and I have been told not to worry to much about him having solids or finger food yet.

just wanting some ideas thats all.

not worried and have been told its ok for him to wait until 9 months if needed as food up to 1 is just food trying not really needed that much they can get enough iron from their milk if they are bottle fed and from breast milk if the mother is eating the right foods.

just wanting to hear from others that in the same boat or have been in this situation.

he is front for his on the floor for rolling and moving and he is making progress on sitting up.

I will come and read more when its posted
Gardengirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gardengirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 4:37pm
I'm in the same boat. DS is 7 months old and not even slightly interested in solids. I've been trying him with baby rice or pureed food every few days and he won't have a bar of it. I figured I wouldn't start worrying iron-wise because as someone has already said, their iron stores don't suddenly up and vanish overnight, but if at 8 months he still refused food I'd get him checked. I presume he must get a degree of iron anyway from his BF (he is fully BF and I eat well)?

We are now doing the BLW approach, albeit very slowly. He has recently decided that a teething rusk or cruskit covered in marmite is the way to go. Earlier we sat at the table together with him in his highchair and I gave him half a banana and a slice of peach, neither of which he would entertain eating but they did get held and 'explored' although the look of disgust on his face was a picture. His eyes lit up at the sight of a rusk getting the marmite treatment.

Personally, if I were you, I wouldn't worry right now, especially as you're saying your GP has said things are fine. Just give him plenty of opportunities to explore either finger food, mush, or even a combination of the two.

Edited by Gardengirl
 Post Reply Post Reply