FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJust been diagnosed....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just been diagnosed....
    Posted: 31 March 2010 at 3:59pm
.....and I'm scared to start on the medication :-( On baby's good days I am great, but if anything even goes slightly wrong, I feel completely out of control, worried, anxious, teary and like I am the worst mum in the world.

So my dr has suggested I try medication, as this has been going on for weeks. However she has warned me I may feel WORSE for the first two weeks and I am petrified of that :-(

On top of that, my husband has in no uncertain terms said he doesn't want me on medication, as he doesn't believe I am depressed, just struggling a little. He is also worried I will be stuck on them for the rest of my life. So not really helping me in my worries.

What are your experiences of treating PND??
Sponsored Links

jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 4:15pm
I don't have any experience but I didn't want to read and run. First I think your need lots of these:

Secondly (and this is harsh) but your DH needs to get over himself. This is not about him, it is about you, You need his help, love and support. I am guessing that he is not the one who is at home with baby all day every day. From the outside it looks like it is easy, we all know that it is not.

Can you talk to your doctor again about your fears and get some more info???

and you are a great Mum

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 8:04pm
HUGS!!!! I could have written that word for word a few months ago except it was me being worried about being hooked on them forever not my DH.

All I can say is...trust your doc!!! They know what they're talking about. Yes, I was petrified of feeling worse but once they kick in you will feel your old self again and realise it was the best thing you could have done. If you want to read more about how I was feeling, go to my blog www.ellie.blogtown.co.nz and read the category "me"...
I wish there was something I could do because it's such a scary place to be but I can honestly say that it does get better. Just keep positive/supportive people around you...the last thing you need is to have someone judge you and make you feel worse. Please PM me if you have any Q's or want to talk more

My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:54am
Your DH needs to shut up and not be so selfish. Tell him to go talk to the doc himself and have it explained to him by the medical professional the reasoning behind the medication.

I probably had PND post Jared but never got help. Which was just stupid really. Medication is just there to help you get back to your old self. Its not a life long sentence.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 9:13am
my Dh didnt realise i was depressed either..he was really shocked but supported me(as yours needs to) on going on meds..your doc wouldnt put you on it if it wasnt safe for bub.. I went on it at 24 weeks preg and now just have to make sure i take meds right after a feed.. and it has made me almost back to my old self.. i was terrified too but for me it has been a life changer.
Mum to two amazing boys!
millymollymandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millymollymandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 10:38am
Take the meds, I should have I would have felt better sooner. I will take them if it gets bad again. The "mothers matter" website has some good info on meds about what's safe etc.

I got counselling thru Plunket, which was free and great. Some DHB's run courses for PND suffers - ask your plunket nurse to refer you to maternal mental health.

Your husband needs to understand that the whole family gets PND, it will affect all of you.

Some tips...
-accept that you can learn from the past, but can't go back and can't change it. The past has happened and its OK.
-accept that the future will happen, but that you can't deal with it now. You will deal with when it arrives.
-know that you can deal with anything in the present moment, if your baby cries hold them, know that they are safe and loved.
-get help where you can - I got a cleaner - one less thing to worry about.
-tell people you are struggling, don't bottle it up - people are amazing generous and will help where they can.
-remember that heaps of people lie about how well their kids are doing.
-relish the good moments, it helps remmeber how much I love my daughter.
-go somewhere where you can be supported- a few days that my parents makes a huge difference.

Big hugs, this is way more common that you'd think. And you are going a great job.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 11:56am
Well, I took the first pill last night, and four hours later I woke up with MAJOR anxiety, like I haven't had since my son was born :-( I was so hoping I wouldn't have any side effects, because I can't handle feeling this way. Especially because most days, I was feeling okay. Now I feel WAY worse and it makes me doubt whether I should have taken them! I barely slept last night, and spoke to a Dr this morning (not mine though!) who suggested I go down to a half or a quarter to ease my body in to it. This means it will take longer to work but not as full on in the beginning. I don't know what to do, as I hoped to go to family at Easter, but I don't want to go feeling like this. But I also don't want to drag out the treatment either. The Dr says this might last TWO WEEKS and I could NOT handle that. I don't want to go on anything else in the meantime (apparently worst cases get valium) but I can't do this either :-( The thing is, I don't actulaly have anything to be anxious about at the moment! It feels like it is totally out of my control!!!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 12:47pm
thats what i was like..:( it was a mixture of hormones as well though i think..for two weeks i felt mroe anxious but after that i steadily felt so much better.. hugs..it does get better..i did a full tablet but lots of people start on a quarter..

i think for me I was also so worked up about going on it that I got more anxious as well cause of worrying about it if that makes sense..
Mum to two amazing boys!
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:15pm
I was given valium and it was a life saver!! I was taking 2 each night along with 1/2 a sleeping tablet and I'm now (very) slowly weaning myself off them so will be on the citalopram only in the mornings (2 tablets). I was scared sh*tless to take the valium and sleeping tablets cause I was told they are very addictive. I ended up putting my whole trust into my doctor and did exactly what she said...it was the best thing I could have done as I wasn't in the right frame of mind to see that the advantages far outweighed the disadvantages.

hugs!!!! I does get better and you will be ok xo
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2010 at 9:23am
for you!

Hey, is it possible that the anxiety you woke with after taking it the first time is not a side effect, but because you are so worried about things? It sounds like you are stressing a LOT about this and often when you are stressing things like that come out in your sleep- so you might have been going over and over and over it is your dreams and that's why you woke feeling so anxious. Just an idea anyway

It's quite common to be very nervous about starting any medication so don't beat yourself up over it, yea? Like others have said, trust your GP. Sounds like s/he has experience in prescribing meds. Is your husband interested in learning more about PND, it's signs, treatments etc? If so there is a website that I often give out to partners and family of mums with PND (I hope I'm allowed to post it on here-) www.mothersmatter.co.nz   Sounds like he needs to understand more about it so her can help you

Speaking from someone who has tried on 5 different ADs, the side effects are worst when you first take them and usually they DO pass. What medication have you started on? SSRIs (such as fluoxetine, citalopram) have been known to increase anxiety and insomnia so if it's really not working for you there are plenty others out there to try.

Hang in there, things WILL get better. Those early days are very, very scary but keep at it and soon I'm sure you'll get sorted on the right meds and be on the way up

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 3:07pm
I am having a bad day and I don't understand why!!!! I had a great night with my little man, fed him at 2am, went back to bed at 3am and all of a sudden felt the overwhelming anxiety again. Like a huge weight on my chest. For NO GOOD REASON. Bubs was fine, I WAS happy enough, it just hit me which is so annoying and frustrating :-( Then I couldn't sleep because I was all anxious, then I got anxious because I knew I needed to sleep. Horrible cycle. Fed him again at 6am, and still felt the anxiety, which has been with me ALL DAY now. My husband has gone to work and I feel very alone. Just called the depression hotline and bawled because I have no one else to talk to.

I just don't understand WHY I am feeling this way. It is not like things are going badly at the moment??? I have had five days of a quarter tablet, and went on to a half today. I wonder whether the anxiety of knowing I was going to do that today contributed. I also now have a coldsore from being run down which makes me even more DOWN as they are so ugly and I don't go out when I have one.

I know it will take weeks to feel a bit better, but since I have nothing to be anxious about, I wonder whether this is a side effect still? But why TODAY? I have been okay the last three days. It doesn't make sense.

Thanks for listening :-)
Larrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 8:16am
anxiety is irrational it hits you any time any where for no reason. I feel your pain I have had anxiety for a long time. Im on meds for it but even though i increased the dose am still going through a rough patch. I get mad with the fact it really effects my life and i have no control.Just hang in there with the meds and keep in touch with your dr .I have had a time when the meds really dulled my anxiety it was brillant

are you under maternal mental health?They might offer some support.

hope things are going ok with husband. Took mine some time to adjust to it especially the need for medication.

Post Reply Post Reply