FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbig sleeps = less milk?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: big sleeps = less milk?
    Posted: 14 April 2010 at 9:58am
Kiara is now sleeping 6-8 hours at night. This is just wonderful. I'm not sure it'll continue but i'll take it as long as she'll do it. But I think it has started to affect my milk supply (normally fabulous). Is it likely to be a problem or am i imagining things? Any advice?
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
Sponsored Links

Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:41pm
Yay for the longer sleeps!!

Firstly, you have absolutely nothing to worry about - trust that you body is adjusting itself to produce enough milk for baby.. AFAIK, milk supply generally settles anywhere between 6-12 weeks, sometimes later. Thankfully too, cause that engorged feeling isn't too nice at times
Secondly, and more importantly, trust that wee Kiara will let you know if you aren't producing enough milk. As long as you are getting sufficient wet/dirty nappies (which is different for every baby - DD isn't a very heavy wetter at all) and she seems happy and content then you will be producing enough and she will be getting enough, I doubt that she would be pulling 6-8hr sleeps if she wasn't

Just for interests sake, DD was always a great sleeper as a wee one - 12 hours by 12 weeks (uncommon) but there were several periods where she woke consistently for anywhere between 2 weeks to a month to feed 3-5 times overnight. I found my supply adjusted to this very quickly, ie 1-3 days to accommodate her. Conversely, when she started sleeping through again it took the same amount of time for my supply to adjust back to not needing as much IYGWIM.

Unfortunetly, her latest waking period has lasted 3.5mths and counting *sigh*

Anyway, apologies for the long-winded reply! Sounds completely normal, you're doing an awesome job!!
luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 10:58am
Thanks very much. Very reassuring because yes, I'd also been wondering about whether a baby her age needs more regular feeds than 8 hours. That all makes complete sense and I kinda knew it but needed someone else to tell me. It's such a luxury to have that much sleep!
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 6:34pm
No worries at all I think we all need a bit of reassurance every now and again.
Hopefully she keeps up with the great sleeping
 Post Reply Post Reply