FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCows milk for under 1yo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cows milk for under 1yo
    Posted: 19 April 2010 at 8:05pm
So what is wrong with giving cows milk as a drink to under 1yo? Is it the nutrician (sp???) content or lack of? I can understand not recommending it for newborns but what about when baby starts solids?

The reason I ask is that I may be told to give up bfing (that's another thread!) and my GP said I could give Ben cows milk rather than formula. He said that Plunket would say otehrwise but as Ben is on solids and already eating a varied diet (we are doing BLW) then it should be fine.
Lindsey

Sponsored Links

Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2010 at 12:28pm
My understanding is that cows milk lacks the nutritional content that a child under 1yr old needs for growth and development and also the proteins in cows milk are difficult for a baby to digest.

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 5:37pm
I'd suggest rice milk, if it really comes down to it, rather than cows milk. Hope you find another solution though!
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 5:46pm
Its to do with their underdeveloped digestive system - giving them cows milk too early - before the digestive tract is fully developed can lead to lactose intolerance later as the digestive tract sees milk as something it should have.

That's the recommendation any ways.

From a personal note I was put on a mixture of cows milk and water from 4 months of age cause formula wasn't satisfying me enough - but that was back in the 70's.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 8:14pm
If he was 11 months old I'd just do the cows milk. I would give formula til then.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
 Post Reply Post Reply