FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedquick milk question...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Samandtia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samandtia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: quick milk question...
    Posted: 13 May 2010 at 2:09pm

Hi
Just wondering if it is ok to give an 8 month old milk in her muesli for breakfast. At the moment she has the watties apple and muesli with water which i think is really gross but i don't have any expressed breastmilk or formula to put into it.

I tried to do a search here but other milk questions were different... I also googled it and it came up saying that cows milk doesn't let iron absorb (or something along those lines) so I thought that it wouldn't go really well with the iron fortified muesli i was giving her then will it (if it's true)!?

Ta
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 2:33pm
No you shouldnt give a baby cows milk til they are over a year old. You get get some small sachets of formula from the supemarket.

Heres a link to info from watties
Watties info on age appropriate foods

and page 6 and 9 of this brochere -
Eating for healthy babies and toddlers

Edited by Kellz
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 4:11pm
I bought a tin of formula specifically for breakfast cereals. You could buy the sachet samples but they usually make up about 200+ mls and you end up wasting most of whats not used, so a tin would be better.

Our mothers group child health nurse said the other day that cows milk was ok to use in breakfasts now, but only in cereals and not as a milk feed. I personally would wait until 12+ months before using cows milk though.
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 6:01pm
If she is eating the muesli with water in it why change it?

She doesnt know any different.....

My boy cant have milk and has his weetbix with water and he LOVES it, he doesnt know any different so isnt missing anything

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 6:44pm
Same as Mel, My boy has no idea that weetbix with water is different to what some other kids get. It might not taste the flashest to you but their taste buds aren't as developed as ours.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Samandtia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samandtia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:14pm
melnel and A&Csmum, hahaha that IS true! She doesn't know what milk with muesli tastes like and she seems to be gobbling up her muesli so it musn't be bothering her! It's all in my head... hehehe Thanks!

Edited by Baybee1
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:56pm
No worries hun, I agree cereal with milk is thank goodness our babies are not so precious LOL

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 10:36pm
If you do want to add something else to it for flavour, you could try pureed fruit - Campbell has porridge with pureed fruit instead of dairy, and loves it! You can use stage 1 tinned fruit baby food, or whizz up tinned peaches, apricots etc in a blender - I often use a combo.
Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:07pm
That's what I used to do with DD1 as well, make up the porridge/muesli with pureed fruit instead of milk.
Two little girls under 2!

Tigerish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 6:51pm
I'm in the UK and we are told that using cows milk in cooking and with cereal is absolutely fine. DS has no problems with it. Just don't use it as their main milk until after one year. In saying that, I often use formula so I can up DS iron (still bf'ing so formula just for cereal).

julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 8:52pm
i mix my daughters weetbix with normal milk and have for about the last 6weeks or so ( shes 11months old ) i only use a little bit , i personally dont hav an issue with giving her a tiny bit on her weetbix ( this is just me tho ) most of us were given full milk from a much earlier age and she has had no side effets or anything from it . I also mix a bit with mashed potatoes when i give her those , primarily because we eat the potatoes too and dont really want mummymilk spud or formula tato
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2010 at 3:16pm
Im pretty sure its around the 10 month mark you can add it to cereals etc. I did tht with both of mine, and one went on to haev a reaction to milk and couldn't give it to him til he was about 3 and he other was fine.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
 Post Reply Post Reply