FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBF mums - what meds are you on for PND?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
erinalba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinalba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BF mums - what meds are you on for PND?
    Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:26am
I finally went to my doctor yesterday about the way I've been feeling and have been put on Loxamine. Unfortunately I had my baby and toddler with me at the appointment and both were crying so I didn't hear everything she said, but I did hear her say that small amounts of the Loxamine would get into my breastmilk. Took my first dose when I got home and felt really sleepy for the rest of the day, but did have really good sleeps during the night between feeds for the first time.

Anyway just wondering if there is something that won't get into breastmilk, or if anyone else is/has been on Loxamine, did it have any effect on your baby?
Sue
See my blog www.gojandal.com/wubboo

Sponsored Links

sarahm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:35am
sorry dont know anything about Loxamine

I was put on citalopram, the Dr said a small amount may get into the breastmilk but not really enough to worry about. I dont think there is anything that doesnt get into the milk to a small degree but I could be wrong.
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 8:12am
All AD's will pass through your BM but I was told by MH that its only 2%. No long term studies have been done on whether this has a long term affect on your child but the AD's the prescribe for PND are safe for baby short term

Thats what I was told by the crisis team and North Shore Mental Health. I wasnt deemed bad enough for MMH...

Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 8:26am
Loxamine is Paroxetine, it has the lowest secretion rate into breastmilk of most AD, you can get it on a special condition authority which means it is subsidised. Made me tired and bit spaced out for a few days but worked really quickly for me feeling better in about 10 days, symptons and emotionally.

I didn't notice any side effects in Fay, she is now a very noisy 3 and half year old who appears to have devolped emotionally, intellectually and physically in the way expected

Edited by Redbedrock
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 8:29am
Sue. I can't wait for you to get down here so I can give you a real hug
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 8:46am
Yes I have read that all AD's go through into the breast milk but in such small amounts, it won't harm your baby. I am on citalapram and the research says anywhere between 1-5% goes through the breastmilk but this peaks four hours after you take the tablet.

However as my Dr told me (and it has become my motto): a happy mum makes for a happy baby, so if they help you, then the small amount that goes through is worth it!
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:36am
I am on Citalopram and my Dr told me it was safe to take while bfing, he didn't go into the details of how much goes through BM but I trust him that it is safe for Ben
Lindsey

erinalba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinalba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:39am
Thanks for all your replies - feel a lot better about it now.

Next question - do you take in the morning or at night. My GP said I could take it at night if it makes me feel sleepy, but just wondering if it's better to take in the morning like it says to, or if it is always going to make me feel sleepy.
Sue

erinalba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinalba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:43am
Nikki - thanks hun - I'll be pleased when we get down there as I feel I will have a lot more support there.

Reading the pamphlet on PND that the doctor gave me and it says you shouldn't move house within 6 months of having a baby so I guess that's been a big trigger for it developing for me. Oh well, less than 2 weeks and we'll be there.
Sue

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:53am
I take mine in the morning. I yawned alot for the first week or so but after that I didn't have any side affects at all
Lindsey

?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 11:08am
I'm on Loxamine (Paroxetine 20mg) and I am breast feeding my twin girls still.

It's a half life version of Fluoxtine (which I was taking when I breast feeding my son) I opted for the Loxamine because a smaller % travels though to the breast milk.

I took half a tablet for 7 days and for the first two weeks I felt nausous (like morning sickness) I felt spaced out and a bit forgetful. However it soon passed and I fell so much better now!

I suffer from PTSD which is why I am taking it but I am under the care of Maternal Mental Health, and they have been fantastic. I am also seeing an Occupational Therapist once fortnight now (was once a week) and also have a session with the Psychiatrist every few months. I would suggest you talk to your Dr about being transferred to them as they really have been invaluable for me.

I am really bad at remembering to take pills (which is why I got pregnant in the first place haha) So I take mine in the morning after I have had my breakfast.

All I can say is I am feeling so much better since I started taking it. I didn't realise how much anxiety I was dealing with daily until it subsided!

Good luck and if you want someone to talk too please feel free to message me :)

Captain Chaos (5) & the Trouble Monsters (2!)
1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 6:59pm
I take mine in the morning too, as the anxiety was really bad when I took it at night and they didn't make me sleepy at all (I wish!)
MonicaMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonicaMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 7:53am
Another citilopram girl here too. Taking it in the morning. I know that they can make you tired etc for the frist week or so. Started taking them when B was 4 or 5 months old, continued thru the pregnancy and still taking them with D.

They 'seem' to be 2 relatively normal wee boys, 3 heads, speaking martian, walking backwards and constant fixation with their 'penie's.....seriously only the last one's true. I don't think that their other normal health issues have been caused by the ADs

Blair 15/10/2007
Daniel 30/07/2009
girly_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:55pm
I'm on citalopram too. I have been taking it in the morning but am about to start taking it in the evening as it makes me really sleepy - like dangerous to drive type sleepy. Doctor said to take it at night if I found it hadn't improved (which it hasn't)
Richie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 7:09pm
I've just been diagnosed with PND today and my Doc has prescribed me Cipramil but I've done a bit of research on it and it isn't recommended for BFing Mums! She knows I am breastfeeding cause I had bubs at Docs with me today for 3 month jabs and I specifically told her that whatever she prescribes MUST be safe for BFing!! I didn't particularly want to end up on meds anyway as I had depression as a teenager and got addicted to Fluoxitine (sp??) and became very reliant on them and found it difficult to wean myself off so don't think I'll be taking these ones she's told me to get. Hopefully selfhelp and support will work for me!!! FX!!
nuts_nats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuts_nats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 6:39pm
I think all antidepressants will carry the warning not recommended for BF Mum's, because small amounts are passed through the breast milk. Its a case of balancing risk, if you need meds to cope with your depression than it may be worth the risk, that for many meds long term effects of this are unknown.

I was on fluoxitine while I was pg and up until now but haven't been coping very well so am going back on effexor which I was on before I got pg and worked well for me. It was either that or try a higher dose of fluox. Finding a medication that works best for you can take a while!
Also I would urge anyone never to wean yourself off any AD meds on your own without talking to your doctor it can be really dangerous...

Oh and I take mine in the morning.
lilycat77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilycat77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2010 at 11:18pm
should i not be on fluoxitine??
i told my gp i was breasfeeding but he didnt say that there was anyother option?? shoudl i go back and ask for a differnt pill??
any help please?
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 8:25am
sorry havent read replies.. i was on loxamine and it made me super sleepy for the first two weeks..it didnt do anything for me mind you that was before i was preg..my doc wanted me off it before I got preg if poss... that was for anxiety..when i got PND at 24 weeks preg.. (depression really) he put me on citaopram and have been on one tab a day every since. I just have to take it after a feed so as far away from the next one as poss so the least amount poss goes through.
Mum to two amazing boys!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 8:29am
my doc said citalopram peffectly safe(i trust him) ..a small increase in risk of facial deformities before 12 weeks when preg but otherwise fine.. i needed to take them anyway and glad i did take it when preg otherwise the nb bit would have prob made me get worse..interesting abut the house move we moved 5 days before bub was born!
lisa how annoying they did that!

I got super sleepy for two weeks.. but after that fine.. so take mine after first bf in morning..
Mum to two amazing boys!
anon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 11:46pm
I'm on Citalopram too. My Dr said it was even safer than Fluoxetine (prozac) and safe if I get pregnant while taking it too. There's no such thing as 100% safe but the risks of anything are very low and more to do with poor feeding and loss of weight but I saw no change in my baby at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>