FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedthose of you who’ve tried Citalopram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honeypeaches View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeypeaches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: those of you who’ve tried Citalopram
    Posted: 10 July 2010 at 5:12pm
Hi there
Just wondering what people's experiences were like on Citalopram.
I am quite sensitive to meds and was prescribed 20mg for anxiety but only took quarter of a pill and as the day progressed I felt quite calm the anxiety just dropped away which was great, made realise how I used to feel, I also felt really happy and had heaps of energy but at the same time felt edgy. later on I had a few anxious moments but nothing major but had a couple chest pains, which made me anxious - not sure if it really was my heart or just the anxiety but it scared me. That night I could NOT sleep,it was awful! I felt high. The next day I felt soooo tired but had heaps of energy at the same time but was too scared to take another pill.
I have since been convinced to give it another go but maybe i'll cut the pill in half again to ease myself into it.

Has anyone else had an experience like this on this medication? Did it get worse with the next pill or stay the same? Or better? And did the happy drugged feeling eventually go away and you actually felt normal again or did u just get used to feeling like that??? Sorry for long post.
Any replies would be appreciated
Sponsored Links

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 7:15pm
Hi, welcome to OB

After the birth of my 2nd daughter I suffered from severe anxiety and I'm on 40mg of citalopram. I've never had a 'drugged' feeling - happy or otherwise. I just feel like the regular me. I started on 20mg.

What you've described sounds a bit strange for how I've been told the drug works...
I say this because I thought the drug needed to build up in a persons system before taking effect (anti-anxiety) but my GP did tell me in the 1st couple of weeks, your anxiety can increase slightly. My GP also started me on 1 tab straight off but I do know that some people start on 1/2 tab.
My GP has told me that 1/2 tab is not enough to make any difference and it's just a beginning point for introducing it into the system so it just seems odd that you've had such intense feelings from only taking 1/4 tab once.

What does your GP say about how you've reacted?

I was told to stick with it as it can take a while to adjust. I assume everyone reacts different, so if your GP says to stick with it then I'd follow their advice. There are other short-term, yet immediate to work, anti-anxiety meds that can be taken while you wait for citalopram to kick in. I was also given sleeping tablets until I got a bit more 'healthy' lol (can't think of a better word)
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 7:50pm
I am on 20mg/day and started out on half a tablet for 6days to ease into it. I yawned alot for the first week or so but was surprised that I didn't feel spaced out/cotton head at all. I take them in the morning and haven't had any trouble sleeping. I have felt quite "normal" while taking them.

I hope you can get it sorted
Lindsey

mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 11:50pm
Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience so far with Citalopram. I would definitely give it another go. Sometimes purely the feelings of starting a new medication can make you a) relieved, happier, hoping that it will help, or b) anxious, worried, stressed, wondering about side effects or, c) a bit of both!

I have been on a lot of meds for PND (last count 13...eek that sounds like a lot!) so I consider myself somewhat experienced with them. Pretty much every medication out there has side effects, ranging from annoying to scary to emergencies. Generally NZ is a bit behind with meds so even though some of the latest anti-depressants are new in NZ they have been used for years in other countries- meaning a huge amount of people have been on them. The more serious side effects only occur in a small amount of people and I found comfort knowing this- also knowing that if I had a bad side effect and it didn't go away, I could always talk to my doctor again soon and stop taking them.

I think this is where having a good doctor comes into it. You need to be able to trust them and also be able to trust that they will hear you. In the few times that I have had a serious side effect I remember one lady who told me "don't be silly, that only happens in 5% of people who take this"...well *duh* I was part of that 5%! So yea, having someone you can trust and that listens to you helps.

I also found that some doctors/nurses etc might say something like "there's no point doing it at that small an amount" but I think if it's what YOU need to do to feel comfortable about taking it, then do it (as long as your doctor knows). it can be helpful to have someone else that knows you to know what's going on with your meds too. Sometimes we are the last to see what's going on and it can be great having someone that knows you for you.

My personal experience on Citalopram: I found it was pretty well tolerated (eg not many side effects!) it wasn't til I was on a high dose (4 tabs a day) that I got quite bad anxiety and couldn't sleep or sit still but this got better once I dropped the dose back down.

It's a tricky one! You've got to be comfortable with what you're taking but sometimes it can be the depression/anxiety that stops you wanting to take them, sort of like the problem stopping you from getting a solution. I would encourage you to give it another go and to keep in touch with your doctor

Good luck, and hang in there!

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeypeaches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2010 at 2:04pm
Hi guys, thanks for your replies.
Unfortunately I am super sensitive to meds, all I ever need is 1 panadol lol, but in saying that the other day wasn't necessarily a bad experience I could handle it, but it scared me thinking once it built up in my system I might go crazy if the side effects didn't subside hahaha. Oh and the not sleeping.
Anyway I talked to my doc and she's encouraged me to have another go, she said my chest pains were more than likely muscles in the chest wall caused by anxiety and checked my BP which was normal.
So what i've decided to do is halve the quarter in half again (2.5mg?) and try that (tomorrow) so hopefully the side effects won't be as strong and ease myself into it. I go back to the councellor tues and she's really helpful and my partner and best friend know whats going on so i'm well looked after.
Thanks for your concerns and i'll let you know how I get on.
1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2010 at 8:22am
Hi Honeypeaches,

I was prescribed citalapram for anxiety and reacted HUGELY to my first whole tablet (I should never have started on such a big dose!) I had the worst 24 hours with MAJOR anxiety and a huge weight on my chest. Maternal Mental Health (here in Akl) suggested I start on 1/4 of a tab and ease myself into it, which I did. I went a week on a 1/4, a week on a 1/2, a week on 3/4 and only then on to a whole. Although I felt a definite increase in anxiety, it was manageable. And after two weeks on a whole tablet I hardly felt it at all. So it definitely takes a while to settle down if you are sensitive!

Try to ride it out and you will notice the difference!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeypeaches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 12:52pm
Hello there
Well I tried the small dose 1/8th of a tablet lol and that has gone ok.
I have felt a bit 'weird' , spacey and have had a few bouts of anxiousness but nothing major , i've been able to sleep ok and have felt quite calm although a little flat today.
It's only my 4th day of taking the small dose so no doubt the councellor will tell me to up it to 1/4 next week.
Yesterday I felt really good, very serene lol but today I don't feel the effects as much so maybe am getting used to it?
Is that what happens when you get used to the meds you just start feeling 'normal' again? or is it still the effects of getting used to it?
How did you guys get on drinking alcohol? i'm a bit scared to try.
mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 9:58pm
Glad to hear you coped ok with the 8th of a tab! Hopefully feeling more normal means you're body is getting used to it. In my experience I found that the first dose I started on with a medication the side effects were the worse then, and when I upped the dose I still got them but nowhere near as bad. Hopefully it's the same for you (or you get none at all!)

I'm glad to hear your doc is sweet with you easing yourself into it and not being too pushy. You gotta be comfy with what you're taking! Hopefully you'll see more and more good things from the meds helping too

With the alcohol, if you're sensitive to the meds anyway I reckon you'd be extra sensitive to the mix of meds and alcohol. Some lucky people are fine drinking on them (like me) and don't notice that much of a difference- just getting drunker a bit quicker and getting very drowsy with them- but take it easy and start slow- you might be surprised how much one drink will effect you while on meds so maybe just start with that.

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeypeaches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2010 at 5:56pm
I haven't been doing so well on the 1/8th, over the weekend I became very depressed and emotional it was a feeling of agony and couldn't interact with anyone very well esp my son so I stopped it today and feel better already. I never feel like that normally just anxious so I feel sorry for people who do.
Anyway I think I will give the 1/4 another go as I felt high on that from the beginning but I felt flat from the 1/8th from the beginning. Don't know when I'll try it again I know I should do it tomorrow but I feel like I need a rest first. Only thing i'm scared of is if it makes me feel good for a few days and then makes me feel even worse than I experienced over the weekend but at least I know i can stop ok.
Thanks for your replies.
coopersmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coopersmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2010 at 8:14pm
Hi Honeypeaches, sorry to hear you are having such a tough time getting onto meds! So understand that feeling of not being able to interact with people! I explained it a being really blank emotionally.

Just so you know your not alone, not that it affected me that badly. It took me 6weeks to get to the right level, 60mg. I started on 20mg (whole tab) Had one great week (bit 'high' but enjoyed feeling high over low!) then struggled for 2 weeks and incresed to 40mg was on it for 2 days(feeling super flat) and had a full blown panic attack, took 9mg diazipam to bring back to earth, then upped to 60mg and the last 3weeks have been sweet at this level, feel better than I have in ages!! Not high, just 'normal'. Please don't give up! And don't settle for just better, keep pushing it till you get there. Alot of people I know have got to a point with meds where they feel good, but could be better. I certainly did but I'm glad I increased again.

Hopefully your Dr is onto it as to how the drugs work! Strange as it seems, you can get increase in axiety as a short term side effect till your body gets used to it.

Just had a thought too.. Have a chat to the pharmacist at your pharmacy, they tend to have a better understanding of drugs than some GP's.(not to imply that your GP is no good of course!)

Knowledge is power as they say!

Hope that makes sense, have typed super fast!!!!

Goodluck!!
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 11:59am
From my experience when you start to feel really down and emotional, it can mean that you have adjusted to the medication and it is time to look at upping your dose. it is also not uncommon to feel worse for the first couple of weeks on any antidepressant but it is worth sticking with it, as everytime you stop taking it the 2 weeks starts again. from what I was told when I started taking it there should be a noticeable difference after 2 weeks and then it peaks at about 2 months of being in your system. Also when you are on a higher dose be very wary about just stopping, there can be nasty side effects and you are at a greater risk of suicide when going on/coming off antidepressants. With medical advise it is fine to stop but depending on your dose you should be weaning yourself off it but dropping a level each week.
coopersmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coopersmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 1:13pm
Good adivce amme_eilyk.. Def not something to be messing around with, but will be great when you get the doseage etc right!
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 3:32pm
I can barely even tolerate a panadol so super-sympathetic. Last time I started Citalopram I took the full tablet (been on it before with nothing but abit of drowsiness) and then it all went crazy - I started slurring my words, couldn't stay awake and got spacey vision, couldn't move my arms or legs and couldn't draw a full breath coz of the pressure. I was super-blessed to have a friend with me at the time who tucked me up on the couch and sat by my side while I slept the effects off but it was quite scary for a little bit there. I took the same dose the next day and was perfectly fine
As for the alcohol I just avoided it completely. Since alcohol depletes your vit D it can exacerbate depression so I figured it wasn't worth the hassle.
Hope you're doing better hun x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeypeaches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 8:04pm
Thankyou so much guys for your support, I really appreciate it!. I am going to try the 1/4 again but am going away with my partner for the weekend first, I know i will have to start again but i'm ok with that. Have been feeling a bit weird since stopping the 1/8th but nothing bad, feeling heaps better than I was on it actually.
nathansmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathansmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 8:43pm
I'm a little bit late in the piece but to be honest I wish I was more sensitive to drugs because it sounds like it won't take much to get you back to feeling normal again.

I hope the following information helps you:

it is normal to feel tired, yet high energy and anxious when you first start taking Citalopram. The tired feeling usually lasts about 2-3 days so plan to just cruise and be lazy and not drive whenever you are increasing your dose. Secondly the anxiety is another side effect and will last a few days, up to 2wks but then will resolve as your body adjusts to the medication. In terms of the high energy - that's a bonus - helps you to get things done - so take it in the morning first thing otherwise it will stop you sleeping.

If you feel normal again on just 1/8 or 1/2 of a tablet then stay on it. Usually it takes 2wks to start feeling ok, 4-6wks to start feeling good and 3mths to experience the full benefit of the medication. So talk to your Dr around the 4-6wk mark about increasing if you're not back to normal. I'm not back to normal yet after 3mths and I'm about to change to another GP better at helping me with these issues. I hope that helps! Although probably everyone else has beaten me to it
 Post Reply Post Reply