FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow do you decide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you decide
    Posted: 23 July 2010 at 10:15pm
when to go off your meds? From reading some of the other threads I probably have mild PND as I have felt pretty 'normal' since I started meds and I am on 20mg Citalopram.

At this stage I would like to start TTC #3 after xmas so want to be off the meds before then. But how do I know that I am ready to go off the meds? Or is it just a 'risk' you take?
Lindsey

Sponsored Links

1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 8:00am
Maternal Mental Health told me to stay on my meds (im on the same as you) for six months after I feel back to my old self. So I went on meds when bubs was just over two months old and i think i will look at weaning off them just before he is one???
mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 11:36am
I've heard that 6 months rule too: once you feel back to normal, you stay on meds for another 6 months. The docs call it 'maintenance'. But that's an ideal thing not a must do. When I was on meds before having baby I was about 2 months into the 'maintenance' period when I got pregnant so I just started weaning off then, though when we try for #2 I want to be off them before getting pregnant because with all the hormones that fly around your body during pregnancy I find it hard to tell what's leftover depression or whats fairly 'normal' for pregnancy.

The best thing you can do when coming off meds is to do is super-slow. This decreases the chance or relapse or of withdrawal effects. The higher your dose or the longer you've been on it, the slower you should take it . Xmas is 5 months away, which is lots of time

I don't really know how to tell when you're ready to come off. I think when you have been feeling normal/healthy/stable for awhile. I am in the process of cutting down one of my meds at the moment and when I decide when I'm ready for cutting down to the next level I do it when I have thought "I'm ready!" for at least 3 weeks- that way I know I'm really ready.

I think there might always be a bit of a risk but if you wean slowly, carefully and are still looking after yourself in all the other ways that can help, then you've got a good chance of succeeding :-)

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 1:25pm
Thanks ladies. I started on meds at the beginning of Feb so have been on them almost 6mths and have felt 'normal' pretty much since I started on them. Might look to see my dr in a few mths to discuss going off them and maybe go on 1/2 a tablet for a few months over Xmas/Jan to wen off them.
Lindsey

nathansmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathansmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 8:30pm
Actually it's 6m minimum, and closer to 1yr after feeling normal. However if it's your 2nd time with depression then it will be longer. And it's wise to come off during summer months it's suggested Some dr's do advise you take them while pregnant so it's wise to keep an eye on yourself during your pregnancy. Taking meds prior to birth can sometimes prevent PND (or as early as possible) according to MMH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 9:50pm
Yeah I have heard that it is best ot be on meds for a minimum of a year. Will ask the dr in a few months what is the best things to do
Lindsey

Post Reply Post Reply