FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAntenatal depression vs exhaustion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antenatal depression vs exhaustion
    Posted: 14 September 2010 at 8:52am
Similar to a thread that was here a while ago - how do you tell the difference between antenatal depression and exhaustion?

My sleep has turned to custard, with me often only getting 4 hours a night. Add that to working part time, study, toddler, husband ..... I'm often in tears, usually as I drive to work, but sometimes the tears just come and am starting to withdraw from DH and socially.   I notice I'm a lot better when I'm sleeping well. I've started on some meds that have a small sedative effect but they haven't worked the last 2 nights.

The fact that I'm better if I sleep well makes me wonder how much is exhaustion. Any other tips for trying to tease it out and manage it? I'm reducing my hours at work and planning to go down to 1 day a week from next week but still have DS in daycare for 3 days. I'm trying to do light exercise and do feel better after a good walk .....
Mum to two wee boys
Sponsored Links

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 10:40am
I think every person is probably different. However, the chemical chain-reaction triggered by lack of sleep is very similar to that of depression / anxiety. I've wondered about this before but in the end have come to the conclusion that for me, the problem is exhaustion. The thing is, if the chemical imbalances caused by exhaustion go on for too long, I suppose the line gets even more blurred. I think your approach of trying to get more rest in is a good one. One day at at time and if it gets too much then chat with some close / a doc.

Never underestimate the effect of sleep deprivation....it creeps into every aspect of your life and it is not something others can understand unless they've been there themselves.

We're always here for you and DH if you need to chat / vent

edited to correct sleep-deprived typo's!!

Edited by FionaS
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 2:39pm
see how you go getting more sleep. maybe try go away for a weekend without your toddler and see if that makes a difference. if it doesnt it may be more than just sleep deprivation.

for me personally lack of sleep makes my depression worse so it could be either. if it carries on see your doctor.
Helen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 8:46pm
My doctor diagnosed PND basically because I was waking each morning with butterflies in my stomach and not sure what the day would bring. However as this is #2 child and I had PND with #1 I recognised my symptoms. Be aware that the symptoms can be different for each person.

The medication my doctor prescribed has a sedative effect so it means that I get a little more sleep. I'm sure that more sleep helps the situation.

With another baby on the way I would suggest you talk to your GP. There are safe meds for when you are pregnant.

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 9:40pm
When I was being assessed for PND the first thing they did was give me a sedative and tell me to get some sleep! (I didnt take the drugs but got family to come and look after Jake at night so I could get some more sleep).

If you can get some decent rest then you can see if that is the real problem.

For me fatigue triggers depression, so once I start to get some decent sleep I can start to treat the depression iygwim.

Lack of sleep can have such a huge impact!

mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 10:06pm
I think the answer to that would be if you feel better after having sleep- like a LOT better, like your normal self again- then I'd say it's a sleep deprivation problem rather than depression. Thought of course sleep deprivation makes you feel depressed so it's a tricky one!

Tip wise- I dealt with my sleep probs during pregnancy by making it a priority. I would sleep in or go to bed early over going out (though I know that luxury disappears when you have a toddler to chase around!) I also have a big 'kit' for going to sleep- snacks & water so I didn't have to get out of bed, 6 different pillows so I could position myself **just right**, and books for when I couldn't drop off to sleep (so I was at least resting even if not asleep)

Hopefully dropping work a bit will help too. And don't feel bad about having a cat nap during the day if Dan lets you!

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 9:41am
Thanks all. Things have been better this week. Sleep's still not 100% but it's better than it was and I'm coping better. Dropping my hours seems to have helped as well and DH and I had a bit of a talk about how I was getting more distant, which also helped.

So still on alert but not panicking!
Mum to two wee boys
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 1:03am
Hey Flissty, how are you doing now? I was having major trouble sleeping a few weeks back, so much so that DH was taking days off work to help me out so I could stay in bed during the day. One thing that really helped me get back on track was listening to relaxation "tapes" (on my phone) to get me off to sleep. I use my hypnobirthing ones and the first time I tried it I was away within 10 minutes. I'm still waking up frequently but find the relaxation techniques a huge help in getting back to sleep rather than lying there fretting.

I also try and have everything I need in the room before turning off the lights and I've moved into the spare room as well (much as I didn't want to) so that I can read or listen to audio books or my relaxation stuff without disturbing DH.

Hope things continue to improve for you
janda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 10:28pm
Hi. How's the sleep going? Before I was diagnosed with PND I was seeing a naturopath as I was having trouble with sleeping. My naturopath recommend a few things:
- eathing every 3 hours to keep up blood sugar levels
- rescue remedy with white chestnut (you can buy this as "sleep rescue remedy" but Health 2000 also make it up which is a much cheaper option)
- drinking chamomile tea to calm and relax throughout the afternoon and evening
- drinking lemon balm tea before bed (I would check first to make sure your ok with this if you're pregnant/breastfeeding as it has a mild sedative effect ... I'm breastfeeding)
- plus I had a sleep tincture made up to take before bed if I found the herbal teas and rescue remedy weren't enough.

Once I got my PND depression under control, these all helped to get my sleeping back on track.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 8:44am
Sorry - haven't looked at this for a week or so!

Things are going OK. I'm still taking my Amitrip and will do this till bubs arrives - it helps with my pain and has a nice mild sedative effect. I tend to have one or two bad nights sleep a week. Theoretically, I'm now working one day a week and have 2 days at home while Dan is in DC though work is so busy that's not really happening

I need to be careful about working in the evenings - I have heaps to do with study and work so often work till 10.30 then go to bed (and it can take a while to wind down). But I'm also being good with exercise and eating pretty well which I think is also helping. And i"m loving the sun and longer evenings

So status quo I guess - still on alert but doing OK.
Mum to two wee boys
 Post Reply Post Reply