FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPND - is it really? Ideas & Advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PND - is it really? Ideas & Advice.
    Posted: 04 October 2010 at 4:47pm
Where to start....lol :P
My son was born 20/08/10, and I have an awesome toddler daughter, an amazing husband. a cool dog, no money worries, and a whole lot of stuff to look forward to.

I sorta noticed after the earthquake I was feeling out of sorts, funnily enough. To be expected with a newborn, aftershocks, and a terrified toddler keeping us up at nights.

Since then though, life is going back to normal. The toddler sleeps through the night again, and so does the baby on occasion. I eat and sleep well, and I've had time out with just me and the hubby.

So why can't I shake this damn mood and anxiety?

It makes me feel guilty, we can out of the quake with such minimal damage and I genuinely do have a sweet as life. I don't have the right to feel this down, and I am really looking forward to the future.

I just don't know what to do. I feel like I am on a slippery slope down, but it seems to be more a chemical balance, I'm not in a rut or having trouble bonding or anything like that. But then, I don't feel bad enough to take medication either, I don't want to while I'm bfing anyway, even if it is safe.

Help?
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links

amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2010 at 5:42pm
Have you thought about seeing a counsellor? It might not be pnd but it may be earthquake related. Being constantly anxious can definitely effect your mood. Maybe talking to someone about it may help and give you a better idea of where to go from there. The guilt is completely normal but also completely irrational as you have nothing to be guilty for, there will always be people better and worse off than you.
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2010 at 9:06pm
Thanks amme_eilyk :) My husband said something similar to that last bit lol

I probably will try and track down someone to talk to, we live in a small rural township but even one of the church pastors or something.

IDK.....I don't feel like the earthquake effected me that much. Sure it was a heck of a fright and aftershocks sucked, but my house is standing and nothing inside broke except for one ornament. The trucks can tip their loads at the yard now without me jumping.

Maybe earthquake + newborn + supporting DD through the aftershocks combined is enough to make me feel a bit wrung out 24/7. But then why aren't others feeling like this? Thats the other thing - I should be leaving the counselors for the rest of Canterbury - I imagine Psych services are stretched atm with ppl who really need them
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2010 at 9:40pm
for me bfing as well as all the rest made me even more anxious..no idea why it affected my moods like that it just did...maybe an idea?

if i were you i would talk to someone who is experienced in that sorta thing..maybe female doc or someone? they could prob talk more with you about how you are feeling... i felt similar to you ...but i took the meds way I totally get why you dont want to though.. i wish wish wish i had the councelling option...:(!!
Mum to two amazing boys!
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:07am
Trauma affects people in different ways, so it could be a case of PTSD rather than PND. I agree with the other girls that having a chat to your Dr or counsellor may help. Dont feel like you shouldnt use their services, thats what they are there for
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 2:15pm
You could also look into other alternative therapies like acupuncture, or seeing a naturopath, to help you regain a bit of balance? I find Rescue Remedy also does wonders for those anxious moments.

And your feelings are totally valid whether or not there is anyone better or worse off than you - you are allowed to feel what you do after what has been going on, as you are the only one living your life!
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 5:35pm
flake other people are almost guaranteed to be feeling the same as you but they arent talking about it and are just suffering with it rather than dealing with it.
janda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 10:13pm
Hi Flake. I thought I just had baby blues and that the way I was feeling was silly. Turns out it was PND for me and it was only getting worse. That downhill slope can go pretty fast. It might be worthwhile doing the PND quizz on the mother's matter's website which is here:
http://mothersmatter.co.nz/Post-Natal-Depression/Have-I-got-it.asp

It's good to be aware of how you're feeling. Mums can develop PND at any time. As this was bubba number three for me it was tottally unexpected. For me it was triggered by a bad birth and being isolated from my family (I'm in Dunedin and they are all Auckland/Northland).

A naturopath is a good idea... when I first started having problems with crying, and feeling anxious and overwhelmed, along with insomina, my midwife put me onto a naturopath first. It was very helpful, although a couple of weeks later I ended up seeing my GP.

I hope all goes well for you.
janda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 10:37pm
Just re-reading what you've posted about being on a slippery slope down (and seeing how old your newborn is) ... wanted to add my bubba was about 5 to 6 weeks old when I got diagnosed with PND. The couple of weeks leading upto it I felt like I wasn't coping and that I was starting to fall apart.

Someone mentioned rescue remedy. I was so depended on it, that I kept a bottle by the bed for during the night, and one in the nappy bag ... I went through 3 bottles in approx 2 weeks. It's great stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply