FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow is everyone coping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 34>
Author
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2011 at 6:48pm
Oops sorry serial quoting too hard to stick it all on one post!
Sponsored Links

girly_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 6:54am
Originally posted by Babe Babe wrote:

Oops sorry serial quoting too hard to stick it all on one post!

Lol! We don't mind chickie, quote away!
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2011 at 12:33pm
Babe Im really glad to hear you are doing well and your experiences haven't stopped you from having the family you wanted- that has been my biggest fear, that I'll change my path in life because of the experiences I have had with my first baby.

As for me, Im feeling pretty good despite the fact I caught chickenpox from my son! I am one of the unlucky few who get it again, I had it as a kid. It has been really hideous and painful and irritating but I have not slipped into depression so Im happy with that. Just getting bored being housebound and looking like crap with spots all over!

Also at the start of the week I dropped my dose of medication from 2 pills down to 1 (my doc said it was ok for me to do that if I felt ready) and the first couple of days my head seemed to buzz a bit as it does on these pills, now I feel good and have adjusted, and so far feeling quite happy. I think it's to do with the fact Im approaching my bubs 1st birthday and thinking about how far we've come, how much I love him and how much I'm enjoying this little person he has become. I think that helps more than any pill ever could.

So Im happy with my decision to try and wean off and will stay on 1 pill till my repeats run out then I'll see what happens next.

I agree with the EPO and fish oil. I take a multi that has EPO and I take fish oil (well I was till the bottle ran out, must get more hehe) and I find that helps me to think clearly. I like the idea of having these natural 'pills' to go to once I wean off meds.
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2011 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by sierra34 sierra34 wrote:

LA did you get tired when preg with bub #1? I know I did and it wasn't depression for me then, it was the growing of bub! Plus you haved one already to run after so I assume it is quite exhausting. Hopefully that's all it is, and are you able to get out and visit a friend this week sometime, i'm sure it will help if you have something/somewhere to look forward to going, if you're feeling stuck with the in-laws.

yes I was very tired when pregnant with DD as well. my iron levels have been low for 6 months now also, so that is not helping. I am over taking 3 ferritin tabs a day though, so have just called my GP to see if I can get the injection.

And on another note, I can no longer put DD in daycare as DH has just reduced my allowance because things with the house are going over budget
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 3:48pm
right. well. my plunket nurse thinks I should mention it to my dr when i take H in for her jabs. I have some fish oil tabs at home but i keep forgetting to take them,guess I should and see if they help...

things are just so up and down. And i'm so angry all the time! everything is just frustrating me and i'm taking it all out on DH and occasionally holly,like last night she was grizzling before i fed her and i yelled at her. for no good reason other than the fact that i was sick of her crying. i felt horrible afterwards though.

but she really is amazing and I wouldn't change her for anything, i love her to pieces.

yay for dropping your dosage wiggly_jiggly! but boo to having the chickenpox! im not looking forward to when Holly gets it(if she does) because I never had it when i was little!

hope everyone else is doing ok
Anja22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anja22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 4:58pm
Sorry to see you here Heaf but yay for getting support from these lovely ladies and your GP.

Wiggly_jiggly how much were you on before they cut your dosage? I've just been increased to 225mg venlafaxine and so far not feeling any different. Only been a week tho so have to be patient I guess.

I just keep having this overwhelming feeling that DS would be better off with his dad looking after him than me, he does such a better job and DS responds to him so much more positively. All he seems to do with me is cry and I hate seeing him like that. I hate feeling so anxious and am sooo frustrated coz a week ago I was feeling great, it's like flicking a switch and all of a sudden I'm not "me" any more, the bubbly sociable person I usually am.

Helps to see the success stories in here, those of you who got through this and are going back for no. 2 or more! Gives me hope that this will pass...
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 10:55am
Hugs Anja22 & Heaf3

Sorry to hear about the hard times you are both going through.

Do you have a good friend you can talk to, either of you?

Or if you aren't already, you could add some of us on FB and chat to us about it. We most likely have some understanding of what you are going through. I know I so get how you are both feeling and I have felt the same way myself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 2:43pm
Maybe we should create a private facebook group for ohbaby PND ladies? I know there was one in the past but it's not active anymore. Im happy to make one- I have some of you on my facebook but not all, so if I don't please PM me and I can add you.

Anja, I couldn't see it at the beginning but people used to tell me that baby feeds off your mood, so if you're anxious, they are anxious, if you're upset or tense so are they. I hated hearing that in the beginning but now I can totally see it, if I'm upset or tense or having an off day, DS totally responds to it. I've been sick recently and he's really played up and been clingy, like he senses something is wrong. Whenever my Mum would come over in the early days when I'd had a terrible night with the baby and felt I couldn't cope, he would always calm down immediately for her and it used to make me so sad, but now I see why. Perhaps your DS is settling better for DH because he's feeling calmer? Try not to take it personally and try to remember it's a product of the situation and in time when you feel better it will start to change. My DS and I are so close now because of all we've been through together and I feel we have a special bond but it wasn't always that way. Even now I find if he won't settle to sleep and I get frustrated and have a bit of a meltdown, if DH goes in and is calm, the baby will sleep, or at least calm down until Im ready to come back and get him to sleep. Your DS will never be better off without you.

RE the dose, I have been on loxamine since January. I started on 1 tablet, increased to 2 then that was good for ages, increased to 3 after a rough time but that was too much, dropped down to 2 again then that's been fine for ages, then trialled just having 1 this week. I decided to drop it rather than the doctor but she said last time it changed she was happy for me to move between the 2 and 1 pill dose when I felt ready.

Heaf, chatting to your GP is a good idea. When I did it I cried but she was so supportive and made me feel so much better and gave me some hope that I could get through it. That was in January and it's been a long hard road since then but if I hadn't done it, I don't know how much longer and harder the road would have been, and Im glad I did. Its hard but you can do it. Take your DH with you so he can hear and understand some of what you are feeling, I find that's important so they don't take the angry or sad outbursts too personally.

You bring up a good point about the anger, I was going to ask about that myself today. I had been feeling good on my dropped dose but in the last few days DS has been waking at night and difficult and I've just felt so frustrated and angry, and also tearful which I haven't felt (the tearful bit) since being on antidepressants. Does this mean I should put my dose back up, seeing as Im feeling worse again? Or just keep soldiering on through it? I am always confused about the anger- is it PND or am I just that sort of person (I never used to be believe me!). It scares me sometimes and I always feel sooo bad after it, I never mean to growl at him but somehow it comes out in the moment... makes me feel like the worst mother, I wish I didn't do it. I hadn't done it for a while, and now it's coincided with dropping the pills so I don't know whether that's to blame or not. Hope that makes sense.

I am feeling a bit deflated because I felt like I was so ready to drop the dose and then to have these things come back makes me sad because myabe I haven't come as far as I thought I had.
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 2:45pm
Heaf there's a chicken pox vaccine you can have, if you vaccinate you should have it for yourself, it's really awful as an adult :S I would have even paid for the chickenpox vaccine for DS if I'd had the chance as I never want him to go through that again, not fun
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 10:19am
Heaf, feelings of anger is normal, but it does make us feel even worse about ourselves afterwards. I lose it at DD at times, particularly when she is crying and upset. Talk to your doctor and see what they have to say. Otherwise, how much time out from DD are you getting?

Anja, do you have any outside support? I can't imagine looking after a baby on my own, it wouldn't be safe for either one of us. You will get through it though, the first 9 months are definitely the hardest and least rewarding, but it gets better I promise *hugs*
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 3:28pm
LA yeah I don't get much time apart from H. especially at the moment because she gets grizzly when i leave the room. in fact the only time i have been anywhere without her was when DH & I went to the movies a couple of months ago to see harry potter.

W_J yeah i knew there was a vaccine, might talk to the dr about that as I really don't want to get it! hopefully its not too expensive though

and yes a facebook group would probably be a great thing to have if someone wants to set one up
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 7:19pm
I've made the group now.

Just P.M me on here and I'll add you. Not sure if you can request to be added, as I made it a secret group. So maybe just let me know your FB email and name or I can just give you mine, so I can add you that way.

I've added wiggly_jiggly and LA so far.

Edited by escadachic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 8:46pm
Me too escadachic! Arrrrrgh off to Raro tomorrow for a week - so much to do but just can't be faffed. Motivation has made a fast exit. Just wanted to pop in an send everyone hugs for next week, and mention that I think fb group is a fabulous idea (my due date group migrated over there, so spend much less time on here now days).

xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 8:47pm
Oh and chicken pox vaccine is $80 - had C done about a month ago. It doesn't last forever, they need a booster around 18, but in my mind, totally worth it!!
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 10:23pm
Heaf totally get the angry thing, even now my wick gets perilously short when I'm very stressed or very tired (and being preg and sick = both unfortunately ) but for me anyway thats where the fish oil/EPO stepped in. I found it acted as a mood stabiliser better than any of the drugs they had me on and my coping abilities doubled. Another tip is to make sure you drink lots of water coz you won't cope as well if you're dehydrated, and of course get as much sleep as possible which might be difficult if Holly is waking through the night but even if you try getting some shut-eye while shes napping - try it for a week and see how you go. Hugs babe you know you can always message me xox
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 4:15pm
Tired and irritable today, so over DD and her teething=waking multiple times a night screaming and taking an hour to resettle. I try to nap when she does in the morning but i'm usually just falling asleep when she's deciding to wake up :( Hate living with the inlaws too and having MIL being privvy to how i'm coping (or lack thereof!!).
sierra34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sierra34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 9:03pm
LA I know it is soooooooo hard.    
Just think each tooth is getting closer to the end of that! Hang in there

I think being a mum is incredibly hard, and what we have to go thru is massive (with hormones, periods, pregnancy, childbirth etc). Given the chance I would totally choose to be born a boy!!

Me and my lil boy have been getting on better lately, i think it's an age thing, he's better able to communicate to me, and he's happier, so I'm so pleased/relieved to see him happy so I feel a lot better bonded to him. Still get frustrated and grumpy at his toddler antics though! Am figuring out that mostly all parents find it hard dealing with lil people & their diff behaviour, not just ones dealing with depression.
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 4:30pm
argh i wrote a post on here the other day but it obviously didn't work. and now i can't remember what i said lol.

the prob with H's sleeping is not so much at night time, although she doesn't go to bed until late, but its the day sleeps or lack of...the only place she will sleep at the moment is in my arms and thats after a feed. as soon as i try to pop her in bed she wakes up and won't go back to sleep. finding it so unbelievably frustrating right now! and she doesnt' go to sleep at night until like 11.

so yeah, no naps for me in the day time! which most of the time is fine, but some days i would kill for a bit more sleep.

thanks for setting up the FB group, going to have a lookie now.
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2011 at 11:07am
heaf, Liv was just like that, and it near drove me crazy, like I was in tears all the time! the only thing that helped was going to mothercraft for a week, in which they sleep trained her, and ever since then her day sleeps have been perfect. is there anything like that in whangarei? or even auckland?
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2011 at 11:16am
I'm not sure LA...but I definately need something like that, or even someone to come over and help me do it at home,i just don't know what i'm doing wrong or how to fix it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 34>