FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow is everyone coping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334>
Author
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 10:55am
Give plunket a call love, that is what they are there for, or even make an appt to see your GP.
Sponsored Links

heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2011 at 3:46pm
ok. so i went to see the dr yesterday. not my usual dr but she was nice. she doesn't think i have pnd, (not enough for meds anyway), but not entirely sure i expressed how i have been feeling well enough. she said if things get worse to go back though.
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2011 at 9:57pm
That sucks Heaf, if you feel she's not right then I'd go back to see your usual doctor. Maybe you'll feel more comfortable talking to her. When I first mentioned it to my doctor, she said do the Edinburgh quiz and bring it back to her. My answers from that were enough to show her something was really wrong and then we went from there. Did she ask you many questions or rely on what you said? You seem unhappy with her response which would indicate to me that you don't feel it is right... Don't give up

I just googled and you can do it online http://www.testandcalc.com/etc/tests/edin.asp

or http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/public/depression/inpregnancypostnatal/self-test.cfm

I also found this site helpful

http://www.mothersmatter.co.nz/default.asp
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2011 at 12:29am
Had to share this. free webinar on PND/depression

It's really good and makes heaps of sense. Found it really relevant and helpful.

Rosesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 1:29pm
Hi, i just wanted to share that I fairly recently listened to a program on depression on National Radio. Scientists have linked a lack of Omega 3 to depression and they spoke of this being a possibility with PND as women lack omega 3 after birth as we lack in most vitamins. I therefore have taken Omega 3 tablets (fish oil and flax oil) for about 2 weeks and have felt an improvement in my depression. So I wanted to pass this on in the hope others might feel an improvement. I was previously on prozac but wanted to come off. I have not been sucessful in coming off before. But at the momment I am feeling very positive so I would encourage others to try it. A lack of Zinc has also been linked to PND.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 4:52pm
Yeah I've heard that too. But unfortunately Fish Oil didn't do anything for me.

These days I take '30-Plus' and 'New Era tissue salts - for Nervous Exhaustion & general debility' and they are more natural then anti-d's and way better for me. Yay!

Guest_41223 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_41223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 6:20pm
Thanks for the tip escadachic - I'm off to investigate some tissue salts for myself! Cheers
The greatest thing she'd learnt over the years is that there's no way to be a perfect mother, but a million ways to be a good one
Anon www.postnataldistress.org.nz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 7:43pm
You get them from some chemists and health food shops. Same with the '30-Plus'. Tissue salts are $19, though you can get them cheaper at different shops and '30-Plus' is $38.50.

Btw, '30-Plus' is for all women. Of course, I thought it was only for women 30 yrs old plus. I was wrong lol!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 3:14pm
Yeah I think it's a dumb name Escadachic cos it would put people off!

I am weaning off my meds at the moment, gone from one a day to one every second day, then next week I'll do it twice a week, then should be able to go off them after that. That's how my doctor told me to do it anyway. So far no ill effects really, apart from feeling a bit tired and headache but that could be anything.

Im feeling in a good place and ready to do it as I feel Ive learnt strategies to cope over the last year with some of the trying moments. I don't think I'm depressed anymore which is really cool.

Im sure I'll always have a tendency to get depressed though, ie I guess I have the depression 'illness' but I will adress it if and when it happens again.

Re fish oil I find fish oil and evening primrose oil, as well as an iron fizz (iron and b12) tablet each day really help me to feel good.
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 5:54pm
Glad to hear you are feeling a lot better Lisa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 1:50pm
Hey everyone

Hope you all had a good xmas and new year.

I have been trying to come off loxamine but the withdrawls have been absolutely hideous, so my doctor has put me on to citalopram which I am to stay on for a month or so and then try getting off that as apparently its an easier drug to withdraw from than loxamine.

I have to have a few days then I start taking the citalopram.

Can I expect all the symptoms you would usually get starting antidepressants even though Im on another one at the moment, so my system has something like that in it?

Has anyone switched between antidepressants like this? Any advice?

I was feeling really good and ready to come off my meds but in the process of doing so have had some really anxious and angry moments which makes me wonder if I'm ready to, so I might see how the citalopram goes and stay on for a bit if its better than loxamine (which I havent found that great overall)
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 6:43pm
I've kind of switched between anti-d's. But that was more because they put me on Nortriptilene and that made me way worse and then switched me to Venlafaxine without a break and I just got excessively fatigued.

I don't do anti-d's anymore, as I hate their side effects. So presently I'm just taking tablets for balancing my hormones, from the health shop, called 'Nutra-life - Real Me'

AbzandH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbzandH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 8:27am
*lurker in*
I suffered from terrible panic attacks a few years ago after a car accident, long story short I was seeing a chiropractor due to the damage in my neck and she mentioned a friend of hers back in America who had been severly depressed for over 10 years started taking Omega3 pills (about 3 times the dose suggested) with amazing results. I think it would be worth testing the idea as I was put on Loxamine for the panic attacks (they believed it was anxiety related) and after 3-4 days on it I could not have possibly felt worse about life! If it weren't for my parents insisting I stay with them and come off the pills i'd hate to think where I would have ended up.
Best of luck to you all, hope 2012 brings you to a much better place :)
*lurker out*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 9:15pm
Just want to have a little vent.

I'm sorry, but I didn't know that PND support groups had cliques! Guess just because I struggle more privately and can't afford to meet up at highly priced cafe's I'm not good enough for you all then!

ETA. This is a meet up of the ladies, after the group ended. One they have once or twice a month.

Edited by escadachic

shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 12:58pm

You're doing so well with the weight loss Kelly, just looking at your ticker , and yea, expensive cafes are nice but not affordable at the moment that often.

Everything's going ok here, will be so glad when the holidays are over

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 2:05pm
I too will be glad when the holidays are over!

conndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 11:54am
hey everyone! hope u are all doing ok. I, on the other hand, am having a really sh*tty time. trying to come off escitalopram. is HORRIBLE. cant sleep, vomiting, feel really down- trying to study, plan my sons birthday, a wedding, keep the house clean etc etc etc running on empty! anxiety attacks getting more frequent.
off to the doc soon. hopefully my son sleeps b4 we go!
Free2BeMe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Free2BeMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 6:51pm
Hi, I'm pretty new to the forum, but have had PND 3 times, after each child, and am on Citalopram. Anyway, I recently went to see my GP about dosages etc, and among other things she mentioned a book "The Depression Cure: 6 step program to beat depression without drugs" Stephen Ilardi.

I've started reading it, and I really recommend it, not to only people with depression, but to everyone actually.

Interview with Stephen Ilardi on his book

Oh another thing my GP did which surprised me was perscribe Vitamin D tablets to me! I'll be interested to see how they work. I'm hoping to wean off Anti Depressants entirely soonish hopefully, just got to get other coping mechanisms in place...

Edited by Free2BeMe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 9:46pm
Conndog.

Sorry to hear you are going through that. It's not a great place to be in. Is there anything you can get to help with this period?

Free2BeMe. I hope those vitamin D tablets help. And glad that book is helping you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 1:40pm
So, how is everyone coping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334>