FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow is everyone coping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
Author
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How is everyone coping?
    Posted: 12 October 2010 at 9:42pm
Just though I'd make this thread for people to come and share. The good and the not so good and just whatever you want to share.

Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 9:55pm
How I am coping varies so much from week to week, day to day, hour to hour.

I wish it was consistent!

I have had some really, really down days. A week or so ago I was picturing in my head, going downstairs and finding some broken glass and cutting my wrists    I didn't seem to being thinking clearly, as my baby was at home as was my older daughter. What did I think would happen if I'd gone through with this thought. Thankfully it was just a really bad thought and I just had a major cry instead. It's hard admitting to my counsellor or anyone who cares about me, that my mind went to such a dark place.

Today, I just feel really tired and have cried a few times. But I think I'm just drained as my iron tablets ran out a week or more ago and I have had any since.

Sometimes I feel so much better and like everything is ok again and I like that feeling. But then the cloud of depression starts to linger again

Cyfs came and visited last week, which made me feel rather down, knowing they were coming. It just makes me think of what a crap parent I believe I am and I don't like to be reminded of that. But they are there to help, so that's ok.

I will be going to a new PND support group soon. As I found all the women from the previous one...a bit snobby. Nothing against well off people though, I don't mind well off people if they are humble and pleasant. But most of the women from the old support group and snobby and clicky and my pet hate is clicky women!    I mean there are enough of them at my DD's school. That's the problem with living in a cheap house in a well off suburb. But of course, you do get the lovely parents though, who don't let money change them. So here's hoping the new PND support group is a more positive experience. They have a new person taking it, who is very well qualified, so that should help. Last person didn't gel well with me and didn't really listen to me or make me feel accepted or heard and often made me feel judged and that is not cool! I mean it's a SUPPORT group, I should feel supported.

Anyway, enough about me. How is everyone else?

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 9:57pm
Well to be honest I thing I am doing pretty bloody well. I had my appendix out nearly 2wks ago now. I can't lift the boys for 4-6wks which is very frustrating. MIL has come to stay for a week to help out and I am coping really well. MIL is lovely but she does things in the house so differently to me and it really gets up my nose and I normally get really stressed and my PND gets bad when the ILs normally come and stay. But so far this week I have stayed relaxed and calm and just let things ride. So I have to say I am pretty proud of myself.

I hope everyone else is well
Lindsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 10:01pm
Sorry to hear that you are having some down days escadachic. If you don't mind me asking, are you on meds? If you are, are they the correct levels? I was really reluctant to go on meds but have found them to be such a big help
Lindsey

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 12:21pm
Kelly sorry to hear you are having some rough days!

Can't really offer any advice, I know what it's like to want to do the things you were thinking, though from my teenage/college years and not PND and I know it's not a nice feeling though at the time it feels like the only solution!

PM me your new addy! We should meet up for coffee or just a chat or whatever! Would love to see wee Annabelle again too

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 4:04pm
Oh thankx ladies for being so caring.

I wasn't on meds, but like you Linzy, I have finally given in and started some yesterday.

I am only on 1/4 of a tablet for the first 4 days and then 1/2 a tablet til the packet runs out and then the Dr will reassess things and see how I am feeling. He said there is a better anti-depressant I can try, but it won't be subsidised til December. So for now I'm just on Citalapram I think.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 7:15pm
I hope the Citalopram helps, it certainly has for me
Lindsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 11:21am
It does in the short term. Which is fine. As the better one will be subsidised by December, so I'll go on that one after. Annoying thing is, Citalopram makes me feel really nauseous, even on just 1/4 of a tablet.

Cadesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cadesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 9:46am
Hi all, you are all in Wellignton but for anyone reading this forum in the Pukekohe area I just want to let you know that there is a PND Support Group called Well Women. It is a peer support group that meets regularly and offers free childcare while you meet. Is really a great support those those in our community!
1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 2:34pm
Glad to hear you are feeling slightly better on the meds escadachic. It is hard to go on them, but I too found citalapram really helped me. I am even thinking of weaning myself off at the start of next year! It is a scary thought but I want to give it a go. I have told myself if i start to feel that anxiety again, I can always go back to the full dose :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 11:25am
I found out yesterday I have an under-active thyroid. So that can contribute to feeling depressed, tired, lacking energy, weight gain and trouble losing weight.

So apparently once pills for that kick in, I should feel better too. Yay!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 9:48pm
escadachic how are the meds for the thyroid going? My MIL has an underactive thyroid and I know it causes her probs incl tiredness.

I spoke to doc today about going off Citalopram and she has given me a plan to slowly wean off them, should take about 3mths in total which should bring me to about 1yr on meds.

Doing well at the moment. Had my appendix removed about 4wks ago. MIL came to stay for a week to help out and I did really well, normally having her in the house causes all sorts of problems for me as she does things so differently to me and it drives me nuts. But this time I just turned away and didn't let it bother me, was very proud of myself
Lindsey

amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 8:48pm
I am doing better at the moment, the nausea has gone which is making a huge difference.
girly_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2010 at 10:00pm
Hi girls, I'm doing so much better now, I had a really rough patch and ended up with the crisis team. I'm currently under Hauora mental health and now on venlafaxine and seroqual. Stink, cos now I have to be on meds for even longer - but at least its getting sorted, and no more black thoughts!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2010 at 11:11pm
Wow amme_eilyk, your getting near the end of your pregnancy!    How are you feeling? Do you know what you're having?

Girlygirl. Sux that you felt so low. But yay that you are feeling better and getting the help and medication you need. Are you anything like me and keep to yourself when you are feeling that low?

I am feeling much better myself now that I am on the Thyroid medication and anti'd's. Though I do still get depressed on occasion. Like today for what seems like no reason. But on the plus side, I am having less crap days.

How is everyone doing?

Feel free to comment even if you're not doing well or if you are. It's ok to feel down, even if others are feeling better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2010 at 5:46pm
Oh yes escadachic - I very much internalise it all - probably to my detriment to be honest. I don't like to share in case I bring everyone else down with me. I'm complete rubbish with the phone too - the land line gets unplugged and my cellphone goes on silent. Sigh, its not pleasant is it?

I'm the same - more good days than bad now, but still getting the odd one sneaking in there. I feel that I am better able to cope with them now though as I know its not always going to be like this.
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2010 at 8:40pm
I still cant wait for the pregnancy to be over, but for the first time I dont feel sick or exhausted all the time and I can actually do stuff. I have been taking multivitamins, although not sure if they help at all. Am still having my down days, the baby kicking drives me nuts and I just want it to stop sometimes and dizziness is starting to set in again. But am doing much better. Still under mental health here and have a psychiatrist appointment to check my medications and a psychologist appointment this week. Sunny weather seems to be helping too. I am having a girl.

Its so good that you are feeling better as well escadachic and girlygirl.
cheekymouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 3:13pm
Hi all,

Not sure where else to put this, I have been diagnosed with depression in the last 2 weeks, i am having a bad day and just don't know where to find the motivation to do anything.

My fiancee left me a month ago and so now its just me and my 4 month old son. I feel so lost and lonely today it scares me.

How do others get on and find the motivation to just get out of the house?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 4:48pm
Oh that sux Cheekymouse. Sorry to hear about your fiancee leaving.

Bad days, I know all about them.

Motivation, hmm, I lack that. All I try to do is just relax when I can and do nothing sometimes and do what needs to be done when I have the energy. As feeling relaxed to me is more important then housework. As it can be so overwhelming trying to manage everything.

Sometimes just going for a drive, even if by yourself and with baby can be nice, just find somewhere quiet to park up and chill. Or else find a good friend who knows how to listen and either call them, invite them over or visit if you feel you can. It might be easier if you don't like leaving the house, to ask someone who cares about you to come visit. Not sure if that helps. But hopefully it does.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 5:23pm
Oh cheekymouse! You poor sausage - I find it hard enough being down when I have a husband to help ease the strain. I can't imagine how you are doing.

Is there a family centre or some such place in Chch? The one we have here in Hamilton has been my life line. You need some support networks around you hun.

As for motivation, that's part of the beast I'm afraid. In the end you do what you can, when you can, and escadachic is right, your sanity is much more important than housework.

I am under Hauora health working on my motivation. One of the things they have set up for me is a container with various jobs around the house in - I pull out one a day and that's what I do, no decisions necessary.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>