FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp! Withdrawing from Citalopram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nathansmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathansmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Withdrawing from Citalopram
    Posted: 12 October 2010 at 10:52pm
I am writing this quickly because my husband (who I am separated from) is demanding the computer while I'm anxious about withdrawing from citalopram and trying to look up information - ugh! No wonder I'm not with him anymore... selfish person...

Anyway, Citalopram hasn't worked for me. I have been on 30mg and they are changing me to Fluoxetine - I start half a tablet in 2 days time. In the meantime I'm really freaked out about the possible withdrawal symptoms and these "brain flashes" that people describe. Super anxious about it actually.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links

MonicaMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonicaMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:31am
Sorry I can't help. I did swap from one lot of AD's to another years ago and dont think I really noticed too many side effects at the time, if any, - however if was ages ago. Good luck

Edited by MonicaMouse

Blair 15/10/2007
Daniel 30/07/2009
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 3:58pm
I went off it earlier in the year with no withdrawl symptoms at all. so it is very individual.
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 8:22pm
I swapped from citalopram to effexor with no problems.
mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2010 at 1:26pm
how's it going nathansmummy?

When I came off Citalopram I did get withdrawals and it was hard but it was a pretty intense situation (going from the highest dose to nothing over 2 days, as I was in hospital). The smaller dose you are on and the longer you come off it, (and the less amount of time you have been on it for), the less chance there is of getting withdrawals. Even in my case, the withdrawals weren't unbearable. Certainly less intense than some of the horror stories I read on the net! I was basically like having the flu- with a temperature, feeling feverish, nauseous etc but I didn't feel like it all day, every day. I felt gross for most of the day for the 1st 3 days, then only some of the time for about another week, then by 2 weeks it was completely gone.

It also helps when you get started on another anti-depressant. Fluoxetine is the same family of medications as Citalopram (SSRI anti-depressants) so some of the chemicals in Fluox are the same as Citalopram so you're body will stop craving those particular ones.

I would say don't stress about it too much! Sometimes google is NOT your friend- there is a LOT of reading out there against ADs and unfortunately some of it is exaggerated and/or not true.

Just take it easy on yourself while you are swapping over and know that any withdrawals you have WILL pass

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3
 Post Reply Post Reply