FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtomato plants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tomato plants
    Posted: 29 December 2010 at 8:29pm
My tomato plants have started flowering. Does anyone know how long after they flower i should start seeing tomatoes growing????

TIA
Sponsored Links

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2010 at 9:10pm
Sometime in the next week they will start to grow, you will notice that the centre of the flower turns into a green ball. A good thing to do is shake your plant in the morning to release the pollen so that the flowers pollinate properly. It depends on the type of plant as to how long they take to grow but cherry tomatoes only take a couple of weeks tops, beefsteak about a month. HTH

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 1:19pm
Thanks.

Woo Hoo looked today and i have heaps starting!!
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 4:21pm
my tomato plants have gone mad..waiting for the tomatoes to go red...come on
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 6:06pm
Oh yay, my tomato plant had flowers on a couple of weeks ago, then last week started growing tomatoes! They are getting really big, still green though

Does anyone know if you have to wait for them to turn red before taking them off the tree, or do they continue to ripen after being removed? Don't want pesky birds stealing them!!
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2011 at 9:44am
Once they start to turn red then you can take them off. I havn't ever had any birds taking mine tho, not even our stupid chickens!

rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2011 at 9:36pm
Oh good to know, thanks Aethalia! Hopefully the birds don't try to steal them. Have already had catipilars destroying a few leaves but luckily that hasn't affected the whole plant.
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Post Reply Post Reply